Amazing Music Recommendations...From A to Z
Jun 29, 2007 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 185

Squeek

Headphoneus Supremus
I figured I'd try a new take on the music recommendation thread. Recommend one album in alphabetical order with a quick blurb about the artist or album.

For example, I will post an album by an artist that starts with the letter 'A' and the next poster should make a recommendation from an artist that starts with 'B'.

My recommendation

Amadou and Mariam - Dimanche A Bamako

Amadou and Mariam are a musical duo from Mali, composed of the couple Mariam Doumbia (vocals) (born in Mali's capital Bamako 15 April 1958) and Amadou Bagayoko (guitar and vocals) (born in Bamako 24 October 1954). The pair, known as "the blind couple from Mali" met at Mali's Institute for the Young Blind, and found they shared an interest in music.

DaB.jpg

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 185
Eric Clapton - Unplugged

Description? Uh. Just a bunch of the greatest Eric Clapton on CD.

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 185
Bill Frisell - Gone, Just Like a Train

39739f.jpg

An immensley likable and easy going album. Frisell is a master of jazz guitar and delivers delectable tone, and nowhere is that more apparent than on the infectous lead track, Blues for Los Angeles.

--Jerome

Jun 30, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 185
Guster - Ganging Up on the Sun

Ganging Up On The Sun is the fifth studio album by rock band Guster. It was released on June 20, 2006, with the singles "Manifest Destiny" being released in late 2005 and "One Man Wrecking Machine" being released in March 2006. It is Guster's second studio album with Joe Pisapia, his first as a full member. The name of the album, Ganging up on the Sun, comes from a line in the song "Manifest Destiny" which says, "The moon and stars are ganging up on the sun... rebellion."

Ganginguponthesun.jpg

Jun 30, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 185
INXS - Kick

41246f.jpg

I can't say I was ever a big fan of this band. But Kick is a real hoot. New Sensation and Need You Tonight are songs that still sound fresh.

--Jerome

Jun 30, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #10 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
INXS - Kick

41246f.jpg

I can't say I was ever a big fan of this band. But Kick is a real hoot. New Sensation and Need You Tonight are songs that still sound fresh.

--Jerome

Good call! I was going to go with Imogen Heap or Iced Earth. I forgot all about INXS.

Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairy Tales

I bought this album on a whim. I had no idea who he was, nor what kind of music I was buying. I fell in love with this album. Chill, surfer folk music. I still play it at least once a week. His other two studio records "On and On" and "In Between Dreams" are also amazing. If you have not heard him yet, please do.

BrushfireFairytales.jpg

If the next rec is not King Crimson Discipline or In the Court of the Crimson King I will be PISSED!

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #11 of 185
walkingthru.jpg

listen: Kaya Project

Kaya Project (Walking Through or Elixir), considered ambient/ethno/electronic etc, great stuff from Seb Taylor

Walking Through", KAYA PROJECT's debut CD, is a downtempo fusion of cutting-edge beats, organic electronica and diverse sounds and vocals from Hawaii, India, the Middle East and Europe.

KAYA PROJECT is the latest musical incarnation from Seb Taylor, who has released as SHAKTA, DIGITALIS and is also a co-founder of ANGEL TEARS.

Self-taught on the guitar, flute and cello, at age 16 Seb heard the album " Songs From the Victorious City" , a collaboration between ANNE DUDLEY and JAZ COLEMAN (KILLING JOKE), and became fascinated with the fusion of Middle Eastern music and Western production. Since his first electronic music release in 1995, Seb has recorded under many different names in many different styles. In 1997 he signed his first record deal with Big Life/Dragonfly Records and the success of his recordings with the groups SHAKTA and DIGITALIS led to Seb performing around the world on a regular basis, which gave him the opportunity to absorb different musical cultures.

great thread btw, props
wink.gif
should include numbers too...

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #12 of 185
Jun 30, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #13 of 185
Jun 30, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #15 of 185
Nas - Illmatic

Easily one of the top 3 hip-hop albums of all time. Nas absolutely kills it on every track of his debut album, alongside wonderful production. This is simply a timeless classic, and any fan of music should hear it.

51NtzrWOjxL._SS500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back