AMAZING headphone shop experience at Jaben, Singapore
Feb 10, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #32 of 66
His prices are ridiculous. $2000 for K1000 makes me wonder if he only sells to exceedingly rich customers.

The last time i went adelphi I enjoyed much of my time chatting with the lady (shes hot by singapore standard) at swedish statement and the rest at audio note listening to the avantgardes.

Feb 10, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #33 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
His prices are ridiculous. $2000 for K1000 makes me wonder if he only sells to exceedingly rich customers.

The last time i went adelphi I enjoyed much of my time chatting with the lady (shes hot by singapore standard) at swedish statement and the rest at audio note listening to the avantgardes.

Did you ask for prices of anything else?
Almost everything i've bought (or asked for) has been at the street price of the US market or less
Heck, i got my ES2 from him for less than what most of head-fiers paid
About the K1000, i know that uncle wilson bought it at around that price..

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #34 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For latest info and promotions on jaben (also where the jaben boys post) visit www.headphonehaven.com instead

basshead.gif
Oh no, not another forum! I need some time to work and study! Curse you head-fi!

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

While that might be true about the K1K (BTW S$2,000 = US$1,265), have you actually enquired about the prices of other items that he sells?

I have found his prices to be competitive and the ability to audition in peace (definitely not Friday evening or weekends) is priceless.

I am anything but a Jaben fanboy, but I believe we should try to be accurate when making general statements.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you ask for prices of anything else?
Almost everything i've bought (or asked for) has been at the street price of the US market or less
Heck, i got my ES2 from him for less than what most of head-fiers paid
About the K1000, i know that uncle wilson bought it at around that price..

waio, so he bought it at a very reasonable price and intends to sell them with little profit.
That is very noble of him. I wish I can see more headphone sellers like him.

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #37 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While that might be true about the K1K (BTW S$2,000 = US$1,265), have you actually enquired about the prices of other items that he sells?

I have found his prices to be competitive and the ability to audition in peace (definitely not Friday evening or weekends) is priceless.

I am anything but a Jaben fanboy, but I believe we should try to be accurate when making general statements.
biggrin.gif

I also do believe you should be more accurate listing the exchange rate. I do agree the audition in peace part. The guy at music by design should seriously listen more to other headphones instead of convincing me that grado are the best cans on the planet.

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #38 of 66
Quote:

I also do believe you should be more accurate listing the exchange rate. I do agree the audition in peace part. The guy at music by design should seriously listen more to other headphones instead of convincing me that grado are the best cans on the planet.

As requested, the exchange rate I used is 1.58102766798 if you really want to be precise
biggrin.gif

You are right about MBD, but unfortunately the only headphone brand they carry is Grado. So what else can they say? Maybe the guy really likes Grados. Is he any different from the Grado defenders in this forum?

This only highlights why an audition is really important (if possible) before putting down the money.

Relax and enjoy the weekend!

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #39 of 66
Well, I do know certain stuff he buys just for collections sake(ie. rare or discontinued products), and occasionally the "closed door" auditions for certain trustworthy friends(ie. those who know how to take care of stuffs that are not theirs).

AFIAK, those k1ks(2 or 3 pairs) were in various conditions when he bought them(mint-NIB), and Im sure they are all priced differently according to how much he values them. Even if they were SGD$1600=USD$1000 would you buy them for personal use, or resell them at a higher price? Im surprised you actually thought he serves only the "exceedingly rich" people because it was just awhile back when someone commented that he preys on kids. I guess he still hasent lost his charms at his age
wink.gif

Of course if someone comes along genuinely interested in something in his "collections", they would be expected to pay a bit more to pry them from his hands isnt it?
wink.gif
. If it matters, he runs a business, not a charity. Anything else on top of his business is a bonus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The exchange rate used is 1.58102766798 if you really want to be precise
biggrin.gif

Actually I believe its closer to 1.54102766798. USD has been slipping for some reason...

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

waio, so he bought it at a very reasonable price and intends to sell them with little profit.
That is very noble of him. I wish I can see more headphone sellers like him.

I can't even tell if this is sarcasm or not
But this is what a 'shop' is.. the owner buys something then sell it for more

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #41 of 66
if u think Jaben's prices are ridiculous, then u should come to KL and check the prices here. that is provided IF you can actually find the damn thing
cool.gif

this place is practically a hi-fi/ head-fi desert. plus the taxes of bringing those kinda stuff here makes the prices shoot up like hell.

eg. the difference in price of an AKG K701 in KL (retail) compared to Jaben is so much that u can actually use the difference to make a 2-way trip to Singapore (5 hour drive) AND mebbe get a headamp at the same time.

which is exactly what i did for my DT990.
wink.gif
got the cans and a headamp. managed to save a few bux too compared to buying it here. but thats not inclusive of food and lodging (my lodging was free btw
biggrin.gif
) hell.. even the K601 here is much more expensive than the K701 in Jaben.

cant really compare the prices over this side of the world with the US. bringing those kinda stuffs here aint cheap in the first place what with shipping, taxes etc etc.

Feb 11, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #42 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well colour me blue and call me a smurfing newbie. I've been a member here for more than a month now. I've been all over Singapore to find a good headphone shop. Plenty of audioshops and I found the shop in Woodlands mall. I never heard of Jaben though. And I searched on this forum and several others. I must have been blind or something. Anyway, time for a visit this Sunday
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
3000smile.gif
280smile.gif

Hey I'm with you. I've been here for two years and I've passed the "store with the teddy bears out the front" and never gave it any serious thought! Damn! Well know where my weekend is headed. (Checks wallet).
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #44 of 66
for me myself, i find Jaben service is top in Singapore. That the reason why there is so much returning customer. i got almost all my products there

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #45 of 66
icon10.gif
Well, I finally made it to Jaben. It took me about 45 minutes to locate uncle Wilson's shop but let me tell you: this place is fricking amazing! It was almost unreal: a small dingy little backwatershop filled to the brim with IEM's, headphones, cables and amps not to mention the live version of Head-fi with about 8 to 9 (it was a very quiet evening) fellow hobbyists standing and sitting, auditioning and discussing. Top this of with the mr. Miagi of the headphone world and you get a picture of this place. Uncle Wilson is about the friendliest and most knowledgable guy in the business. The moment I came in he had free cookies for me and even gave me a headphone zipcase as welcoming gift. I just wanted to have a look but ended up spending almost 2 hours in the place. I'm looking to upgrade my LDM+ and I'm also looking into cans for my homesystem. He let me try several of the amps he had lying around (I will be back to audition cans next week) and when I left, you won't believe this, he gave me a Crossroads 2 amp FOR FREE!!!! He knows he will earn it back tenfold because this place will probably be my second home in Singapore from now. My wife will probably think I'm cheating on her
biggrin.gif
. Oh, one more thing, uncle Wilson wanted me to say hi to all head-fiers who ever visited his shop, especially Josh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back