AMAZING headphone shop experience at Jaben, Singapore
Oct 3, 2006 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

jdimitri

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all, i'd just like to share my great experience at Jaben network in adelphi!
I was in singapore for 3 days and i visited uncle wilson and his friendly shop
Service was the FRIENDLIEST i've ever had, thanks uncle wilson!
We talked about music and headphones, i tried out firestone's amps and some headphones i never even thought about listening to!
Yeah, i listened to a K1000 (gorgeous, it felt wierd in the beginning, IS THIS A SPEAKER OR A HEADPHONE, until i sink into the sound
biggrin.gif
) altough it was pretty modestly amped (firestone's big joe) and...

An orpheus set. Luckily it just got there, borrowed from his friend.
It was a great experience, amazing headphones, even K1000 didn't reach it (mostly the bass)
I don't know if it's worth $20k or whatever it's selling for (can get a pretty decent speaker setup for that price) but wow, in the 2-3 minutes listening to it there must've been a big smile on my face the whole time! It's just, wow
biggrin.gif

Anyway, i didn't end up buying headphones or amps
confused.gif
because i had the DT990 on order and supermini-IV that was on repair but i got a studio projects C1 mic for home recording (amazing for the price) and a midi keyboard to help that

For anyone thinking of going to singapore for holidays or even just a day transit or something, i highly recommend going there! He carries alessandro, beyer, AKG, Audio-technica, firestone amps, G&W amps among home recording stuff and other brands of headphones.. i think he might've had a K701 somewhere
Oh and there was a pretty good collection of iems (most of them, westone, shures, UE) and portable cans

Again, thanks for the great experience uncle wilson (if you're reading this somewhere)

EDIT: My little brother got a AKG K81DJ, they're pretty good! I thought it was just a flavour of the month thing but the isolation is pretty impressive too..
There's also some audiophile cd stores around the corner that sells great cds
My favourite cds that i bought there: Inger Marie Gundersen and xrcd version of eagles' hell freezes over (Didn't know it could be THIS much better than the original!)

UPDATE: after my second visit, turns out that uncle wilson added lots more headphone related stuff and i added them to my post.. There's also a headphone community that hangs out there every now and then, most of them from www.headphonehaven.com

Oct 3, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm in transit there. Strange though that I've been to Adelphi a few times but never saw any stores that carry a serious collection of headphone gears (most, if not all, are speakers). Which floor are they at? Do they happen to have a website we head-fiers can browse through?

I don't know if he has a website, probably not
It's hidden at the 4th floor near the steps (it has lots of teddy bears on the window
biggrin.gif
)
I think it's best to contact him through e-mail or sgheadphones.net, where i found out about it in the first place
Strangely in the building directory it wasn't listed under audio/video, it was under hobbies or something like that..

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by choariwap
were the k1ks for sale?
smily_headphones1.gif

NOPE
lambda.gif

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 66
Could'nt agree more about the welcome and service of Wilson.

Jaben is one of the a rare few places where auditions are cheerfully welcome.

A must visit place if you have even a passing interest in anything headphone related - a little like Aladdin's treasure cave
rs1smile.gif

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes
NOPE
lambda.gif

do you guys mind telling me where is the exactly location. i'll probably going to singapore next month or the the month after. or maybe you can just pm me? thanks

Oct 3, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
do you guys mind telling me where is the exactly location. i'll probably going to singapore next month or the the month after. or maybe you can just pm me? thanks

1 Coleman Street
#04-16 The Adelphi
(Opposite Funan IT Mall)
Singapore 179803

It's probably the main hi-fi mall in singapore next to a big electronic center (funan)
I'm sure if you tell the taxi driver to go to funan he'll take you there and you'll just have to cross the road
The shop is a bit more hidden, if you look around the 4th floor you'll find it easily because it has teddy bears and headphones on the window
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
1 Coleman Street
#04-16 The Adelphi
(Opposite Funan IT Mall)
Singapore 179803

It's probably the main hi-fi mall in singapore next to a big electronic center (funan)
I'm sure if you tell the taxi driver to go to funan he'll take you there and you'll just have to cross the road
The shop is a bit more hidden, if you look around the 4th floor you'll find it easily because it has teddy bears and headphones on the window
biggrin.gif

thanks jdimitri.

if i can't get k1000. then i'll get some philips hp1000 instead
redface.gif
lambda.gif

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 66
uncle wilson gave me a free westone UM1 with my MS2i purchase
smily_headphones1.gif
super nice guy.. tops in my books

Users who are viewing this thread

Back