Amarra - anyone using it?
Mar 16, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #826 of 920
Hi All,
We understand it has been a challenge using Amarra Luxe and we are sorry for any inconvenience, It truly is a delicate balance to provide features and still maintain exceptional sound quality. Every tweak on a computer can have an impact on the sound, it's just not as simple as 'bits is bits'. That said, we've continued to make improvements and have a new build for the Mac you are all welcome to test out. It's available at: https://downloads.sonicstudio.com/Amarra4Luxe/Amarra_4_Installer.4.2.402.zip. We recommend clearing your library and re-scanning to take full advantage of the update.

For those that use iTunes, click on the icon on the far left of the transport window to enable iTunes mode. Once enabled, remember to select tracks from iTunes and Amarra will play them back.

We will be coming out with another update shortly that supports Amarra Play - our iOS- based app that will allow for streaming to your mobile device or downloading to your mobile device for offline use from your local library, upsampling to 96k and MQA playback included. More information will be available later this week. If you happen to be at SXSW in Austin, check out: http://www.mqa.co.uk/professional/mqalive to hear more about the future of streaming audio and hear a live concert, streamed from London and get an idea of what's to come with Amarra Play.
I’ve downloaded the version noted above I note that the remote app behavior is not improved. This is my biggest gripe. Scrolling through albums behaves as if my library info loads in blocks, with significant chunks, with pauses between chunks. If one suffers through this to get to ZZ Top, and then switches to the album screen it starts over with the album information loading in chunks. I’ve never had the patience to test the tracks screen. When can we expect a remote iPad app that loads the whole set of library information at app start up? Something that works as a modern app should work? This is pretty key to being able to enjoy Amarra at least for me.

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #827 of 920
I’ve downloaded the version noted above I note that the remote app behavior is not improved. This is my biggest gripe. Scrolling through albums behaves as if my library info loads in blocks, with significant chunks, with pauses between chunks. If one suffers through this to get to ZZ Top, and then switches to the album screen it starts over with the album information loading in chunks. I’ve never had the patience to test the tracks screen. When can we expect a remote iPad app that loads the whole set of library information at app start up? Something that works as a modern app should work? This is pretty key to being able to enjoy Amarra at least for me.
We are aware of this issue and are updating the remote for better performance. If you're interested in beta testing the remote, please contact us at sales@sonicstudio.com

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #828 of 920
We are aware of this issue and are updating the remote for better performance. If you're interested in beta testing the remote, please contact us at sales@sonicstudio.com
Email on the way. I’ve complained enough. I’m happy to try and be part of the solution, instead of (just) part of the torch and pitchfork crowd. Thank you for this. I hope others here contact you as well to help.

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #829 of 920
I made the mistake of buying this today without trying it first (I’m a fool, I really wanted that remote control capability). The bugs and utter lack of polish is stunning. I actually had a song from Tidal encoded at 96 KHz play back at 88.2 KHz. Imagine my surprise when the female vocalist sounded a bit, masculine. I submitted a ticket for a refund since I’m within the 30 days (fingers crossed I’ll get my money back), but I’ve already removed it and the license from my computer. It needs thousands of hours of work before it’s worth anywhere near $100.

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #831 of 920
Try audirvana, so far sounds great but I have not use the remote function . I shut down all WiFi and blue tube for best sound. I do classical so I don’t change track every few min haha. Do the 15 day trial of course.

Did so. Love it. The polish and attention to detail and aesthetics are really nice.

Mar 19, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #832 of 920
Did so. Love it. The polish and attention to detail and aesthetics are really nice.
I like the fact u can see the album pic (if u downloaded them) and it automatically finds your album when u give the correct folder for it to synchronize. U can also click on a button to open the digital booklet. Can u also assess it remotely and read the booklet from iPad?

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #833 of 920
I like the fact u can see the album pic (if u downloaded them) and it automatically finds your album when u give the correct folder for it to synchronize. U can also click on a button to open the digital booklet. Can u also assess it remotely and read the booklet from iPad?
Not sure. Not a crucial feature for me. Only thing that needs fixing is that Tidal MQA icons show up in the remote app but not the application itself. Bit of a bummer, but not a deal breaker.

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #834 of 920
When you select upsampling on Amarra 4 luxe with files AIFF 16-44 on a Mac; with Audirvana I can select up to 192 and perform the conversion; with one DAC accepting 192 Amarra 4 luxe will also rise to 192? I see that I can not select the upsampling bitrate 192 as in Audirvana

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #838 of 920
I kept trying to set up Amarra on my laptop (I have enjoyed it for 2-3 years on our desktop). Never could get it to work on laptop, tho I was working via email w Amarra support. I finally gave up and tried Audivarna. That worked immediately and I'm now a satisfied paying customer w/ Audivarna. (still using amarra on desktop_

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #839 of 920
I am still avoiding the purchase of Amarra due to the poor library management on a Windows machine. It sounds great, but is klunky to use. J River sounds good enough for me to use due to its much better library management.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #840 of 920
I used to use Amarra, but ended up switching to Roon a couple of years ago, which I really dig. While I'll never be able to fully recapture the days of my vinyl-buying youth -- when I'd go buy albums, bring them home, and listen to the albums while obsessing over liner notes -- Roon does give me back some of the more experiential aspects of those days. I also like its filtering, discovery, and how it integrates TIDAL into my collection as if the TIDAL catalog was on my media drives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back