Amarra - anyone using it?
Jun 21, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #841 of 920
I used to use Amarra, but ended up switching to Roon a couple of years ago, which I really dig. While I'll never be able to fully recapture the days of my vinyl-buying youth -- when I'd go buy albums, bring them home, and listen to the albums while obsessing over liner notes -- Roon does give me back some of the more experiential aspects of those days. I also like its filtering, discovery, and how it integrates TIDAL into my collection as if the TIDAL catalog was on my media drives.

Great thoughts Jude. I'm with you on buying vinyl. I remember being a teenager and heading downtown to Sam the Record Man here in Toronto and then getting home and listening to Zeppelin IV and pouring over the huge liner notes. Kids today unfortunately won't get to share in that experience of spending hours in a record store and coming home with your found treasures.

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #842 of 920
Great thoughts Jude. I'm with you on buying vinyl. I remember being a teenager and heading downtown to Sam the Record Man here in Toronto and then getting home and listening to Zeppelin IV and pouring over the huge liner notes. Kids today unfortunately won't get to share in that experience of spending hours in a record store and coming home with your found treasures.

Also, Best Buy is eliminating CDs from their stores. Pretty soon there will be no physical music to buy anywhere.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #843 of 920
Amarra 4 Luxe is on sale for a couple of more days, so for $49 I decided to order it. I have spent more than that eating out with my wife before, so I figured it is a reasonable price to go ahead and get it. I still have J River Media Player to give Sonic Studio more time to fix it if I have problems with it.

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #844 of 920
Navigating Amarra on Windows for songs feels so sluggish. It sounds great, but its so slow I can't justify buying it until it gets fixed. I have a PC less than a year old and is a near totl gaming PC that cost me 6k. It's a shame. It sounds quite a bit better than jriver and foobar too.

Jul 8, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #845 of 920
It seems faster than earlier versions of Amarra 4 Lux to me. Sluggish, but bearable on my super fast 6 core PC I build 6 years ago.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #846 of 920
Does Amarra support plugins?

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #848 of 920
Aug 20, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #849 of 920
Regarding Amarra Luxe not going to the next track, please check out the build below. We're in final testing prior to release but it should resolve the issue.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5uambmiox886r9/Amarra_4_Installer.4.2.442.zip?dl=0

Please let us know at support@sonicstudio.com of any issues.
GREAT!

Nice of you to reply so fast, let alone at all... I really appreciate it. I know it sounds like a dumb gripe but when I am knocking back cold ones and getting my tunes on, I’m too American to want to get up and click to the next track. It kills my buzz!

Thanks again

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #850 of 920
Regarding Amarra Luxe not going to the next track, please check out the build below. We're in final testing prior to release but it should resolve the issue.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5uambmiox886r9/Amarra_4_Installer.4.2.442.zip?dl=0

Please let us know at support@sonicstudio.com of any issues.
I wanted to give credit where credit is due- I got the update loaded up quick and my issue is totally gone. Thanks @SonicStudio for the hook up to get my tunes rolling. Here’s a pic of me in the moment with my feet kicked back and the Ammara fired up proper!
B6E56770-7845-460B-B1F9-B061CF368C9B.jpeg

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #851 of 920
I'm new to these forums so hi everyone. I'm evaluating Amarra 4 Luxe at the moment on an iMac. The sound is very, very good but it often crashes when starting up. I'm running macOS Mojave 14.0. Is this a known issue or is anyone else experiencing this? I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if it was a little more stable. I'm only using it for offline music playing at the moment.

Sep 27, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #852 of 920
I bought it a few months ago and even though the sound quality is really good I rarely use it now. I ll sometimes play some flac files of music that I can't stream but part from the frequent crashes it very often won't play the selected track , I press next and it plays the previous one etc, just really not a stable application. It is a shame because it offers stellas sq...

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #853 of 920
I bought it a few months ago and even though the sound quality is really good I rarely use it now. I ll sometimes play some flac files of music that I can't stream but part from the frequent crashes it very often won't play the selected track , I press next and it plays the previous one etc, just really not a stable application. It is a shame because it offers stellas sq...
Most of that is old news, Amarra luxe runs quite well now. You should download the current build of Amarra Luxe for Mac at: https://downloads.sonicstudio.com/Amarra4Luxe/Amarra_4_Installer.4.2.445.zip

An updated version for WIndows is due out shortly.

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #854 of 920
Hi @SonicStudio, is there a new Mac version due soon too? I’m running macOS Mojave and Amarra sometimes crashes during startup. I also noticed that clicking the X button on the top-left of the Amarra window completely closes and exits the program which isn’t typical of a macOS application. The program’s window should disappear but the program should co tinier to run and be available in the Dock as an active application.

Amarra is the nicest sounding player that I’m currently evaluating and I’m just looking for some reassurance that bugs like the ones I mentioned are being looked at and will be resolved in a future update.

Finally, how often is Amarra updated? Is it several times a year typically, or rarely?

Oct 7, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #855 of 920
I'm still using Amarra 2.6 because the copy protection scheme got too complicated to 1st remember a password and then to be told when I installed the next version that my password was wrong, and then I was forced to change it. I'd write it down, and the next time I updated or upgraded that password was refused again. I'm supposed to have 3 total licenses, and have completely lost track of how to access the 3rd one.

It's pretty sad, but at least it doesn't cost several hundred dollars anymore (I stated with version 2.01 way back when, using an iLok dongle for one license and a passcode for the others).

I'm evaluating Amarra 4 Luxe until 10/19/18 but already found that when I try to play a tidal song that it tries to play the last movie that I watched in stunned instead, and then when I tried to quit I was unable to quit iTunes or Amarra 4 Luxe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back