Amarra - anyone using it?
Jul 27, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #586 of 920
Quote:
Audio on Mountain Lion with Amarra continues to bring me delight! Hour number 8 and rolling...sunrise or bust!
beerchug.gif

popcorn.gif

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #587 of 920
Jul 27, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #588 of 920
Quote:

Yup, changed my mind. We're gonna make 'till sunrise! Now in-session with Grover Washington, Jr - "Mister Magic."

How about a little "Winelight" next?

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #589 of 920
Sep 17, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #592 of 920
I am using iTunes 10.7 with OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion and Amarra 2.40 without issues.  I've been reluctant to upgrade Amarra because I don't want anything to break right now.  I'm listening right now as I surf the web in Safari, on a retina Macbook Pro, with no skips or issues.

However, when I launched Amarra my Time Machine backup over the network failed and the disk can't be used because "another process is using it", so I have to reboot now.  I can't see how that is related, other than it happened at the same time as launch, and never happened before.

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #593 of 920
Newbie to Head-Fi, hello to all!

Like others I held off Amarra for a while, but with Lion decided to give the player a run...there were problems, no gapless in iTunes, skipping, oh dear, but the sound quality was bar none, Pure Music is a close second, but others have said, Amarra engages, there's no mistaking.
With Mountain Lion though on a fresh install with only music apps on 2010 MBP SSD 6GB RAM, Amarra 2.4.1 worked like a treat. Gapless was true to form, and yes 50% of RAM should be allocated to memory play.
Sometimes though, the sample rate switching goofs up, but this has some interaction with Audirvana + perhaps not closing properly, Audio Midi takes a while for the DAC to settle to a different rate if set manually is a sympton of the fs goofing up. If Audirvana doesn't play from a fresh boot, Amarra is fine for hours on end.
Now running Symphony with the meters, as to the SQ between $189 Amarra difficult to quantify, but worth the effort for two licenses which I need.  

My wish is for Sonic Studio to  get behind DSD using DoP or on the fly conversion for PCM only DACs. One day.  Playing DSD would overcome a lot of messy sample rate switching and different PCM formats we have now.

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #597 of 920
I am using iTunes 10.7 with OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion and Amarra 2.40 without issues.  I've been reluctant to upgrade Amarra because I don't want anything to break right now.  I'm listening right now as I surf the web in Safari, on a retina Macbook Pro, with no skips or issues.

However, when I launched Amarra my Time Machine backup over the network failed and the disk can't be used because "another process is using it", so I have to reboot now.  I can't see how that is related, other than it happened at the same time as launch, and never happened before.

Note, this backup issue wasn't due to Amarra - it seems my LaCie LaPlug is a little buggy at times.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #600 of 920
Quote:
Can y'all load music files from internal storage to Amarra?

I've tried all the formats, plain jane file names. Amarra will only load them from external storage, not my internal hard drive.

Where do you have your iTunes library pointed to in iTunes setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back