Amarra - anyone using it?
Sep 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #601 of 920
Quote:
Can y'all load music files from internal storage to Amarra?

I've tried all the formats, plain jane file names. Amarra will only load them from external storage, not my internal hard drive.

Both, no problem. When you're using the add option in Amarra to load more tracks, are they greyed out?

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #602 of 920
Quote:
Where do you have your iTunes library pointed to in iTunes setup?

Last time I used iTunes, it pointed to an external harddrive, but I've since tried pointing it to the internal drive, which works as expected with iTunes, although not with Amarra. Loading from internal to Amarra works neither in conjunction with iTunes, nor as a standalone player, regardless of where I point the iTunes library to.

With Amarra >> 'OPEN', the files on the internal are greyed out, and I can't drag and drop them either. What does work is loading files from any external storage, including SD cards.

Ideally, I would keep a favourite collection on the internal drive, if Amarra would load and play them. Then I'd get a big SSD. Plan b is a smaller SSD and a favourite collection on a 128GB SDXC. The big SSD solution is more storage for the money, and of course slightly more convenient. But, I'm not using any other player than Amarra, so I guess it's fair to call convenience negotioable.

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #603 of 920
Quote:
Last time I used iTunes, it pointed to an external harddrive, but I've since tried pointing it to the internal drive, which works as expected with iTunes, although not with Amarra. Loading from internal to Amarra works neither in conjunction with iTunes, nor as a standalone player, regardless of where I point the iTunes library to.

With Amarra >> 'OPEN', the files on the internal are greyed out, and I can't drag and drop them either. What does work is loading files from any external storage, including SD cards.

Ideally, I would keep a favourite collection on the internal drive, if Amarra would load and play them. Then I'd get a big SSD. Plan b is a smaller SSD and a favourite collection on a 128GB SDXC. The big SSD solution is more storage for the money, and of course slightly more convenient. But, I'm not using any other player than Amarra, so I guess it's fair to call convenience negotioable.

You could also create an Amarra playlist of all the iTunes local files.....

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #604 of 920
Quote:

You could also create an Amarra playlist of all the iTunes local files.....

Thanks for the input, guys. I don't think I catch what you mean, in case it would work...

I can't add any local files at all to Ammara, whether or not the iTunes library is pointed to them. So... I can't make an Amarra playlist of them.

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #605 of 920
http://www.sonicstudio.com/pdf/amarra/Amarra_242_User_Manual.pdf

Try the manual....

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #606 of 920
I'm wondering whether anyone can weigh in on a strange issue. I'm listening to Amarra 2.4.1 from a MacBook Pro with 4G RAM outputting to a newly acquired (used) MHDT Havana tube DAC. I have to admit that I can't figure out what's happening. Fact is, it's sounding different from day to day. When I first listened to it  a week ago, from a Mac over USB, it sounded kind of edgy and still wiry in the treble. After a few days, the sound changed to the point where it began to sound very soft, with rolled off treble, reduced dynamics and detail. I figured that the new tube had burned in, but a day later the DAC was sounding forward and big again, with an edgy treble. NOTHING else had changed. This has been the story all along. Some days the Havana sounds lush and lovely, others it's edgy and harsh—even when nothing else has changed. Then I got a message in Amarra, after a few hours of playing, that I was running out of memory. No other apps were open. 2 gigs were allotted to memory play. I'm trying to figure out whether the DAC or Amarra/Mac are causing this. I know this sounds weird. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #607 of 920
I have not had that problem. I am running Amarra on a Mac Mini dedicated only to Amarra. Perhaps that is why I have not run out of memory,

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #610 of 920
2.4.2 is working fine on both the MBPro and MacMini with both 10.7.6 (Mini can't do ML upgrade) and 10.8.2 on the MBPro....

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #611 of 920
2.4.2 has started turning to zero both volume controls on start up in Amarra/iTunes, while popping up a box asking if I want both turned on to max. This I can live with. Haven't tried playlist play, which 2.4.1 broke on my system.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #612 of 920
Quote:
2.4.2 is working fine on both the MBPro and MacMini with both 10.7.6 (Mini can't do ML upgrade) and 10.8.2 on the MBPro....

I do not understand what is meant by mini can't do ML upgrade. Awaiting your assist.
popcorn.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #613 of 920
I have a mid 2007 Mac Mini. Apple will not support installing Mountain Lion (ML) on a Mac that old. So I have to stay with Lion as its final OS. No worries. Lion works fine and Amarra is happy. It is the only installed software on the Mini other than stock OS programs like iTunes.

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #614 of 920
Quote:
2.4.2 has started turning to zero both volume controls on start up in Amarra/iTunes, while popping up a box asking if I want both turned on to max. This I can live with. Haven't tried playlist play, which 2.4.1 broke on my system.

Me and others are also experiencing the same problems.  Check here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sonic-studio-releases-version-2-4-2-amarra-and-amarra-hifi-13404/index3.html#post181554
Despite little problems like this I still think Amarra sounds.  I can put up with small annoyances like this.  

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #615 of 920
Quote:
I have a mid 2007 Mac Mini. Apple will not support installing Mountain Lion (ML) on a Mac that old. So I have to stay with Lion as its final OS. No worries. Lion works fine and Amarra is happy. It is the only installed software on the Mini other than stock OS programs like iTunes.

Thanks, longbowbbs. It never occurred to me you were dealing with "legacy." Which it seems, Apple is making shorter and shorter product lives - "Turn 'em over, Johnny...next!" As someone with a mid-year 2010 Mac mini and Amarra, I feel SL & ML are better for audio than the kitty in the middle (Lion).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back