Amarra - anyone using it?
Jul 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #556 of 920
I don't have any issues with Amarra crashing. It did skip a lot when I used a network drive to store music. Switched to an attached usb drive and have almost no issues now.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #557 of 920
^ I've had skipping and other static-like issues with earlier versions, completely solved by replacing Safari with Chrome (used in background).

2.4.x Symphony crashes every time while loading in Playlist mode. Am happy with iTunes integration.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #558 of 920
Thanks for this tip! This drives me crazy. I never imagined it was the browser causing it.
Quote:
^ I've had skipping and other static-like issues with earlier versions, completely solved by replacing Safari with Chrome (used in background).

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #559 of 920
Quote:
Oh btw, Amarra isn't quite $200 more than Pure Music anymore. Amarra is something like $189 now, which is now closer to Pure Music's $129.

I just meant another $200 to me, as I already own PM.

Quote:
Bought Amarra Hifi a few weeks ago. The interface is far superior to that of Pure Music and the sound is noticeably better on most tracks. Only problem is that it crashes a lot, anyone else having this problem? I'm guessing it is due to having too many programs running, which it advises against..

Not sure how much better the interface is when you have to use a separate playlist, but different priorities I suppose. They definitely have different interfaces.

Quote:
Thanks for this tip! This drives me crazy. I never imagined it was the browser causing it.
Quote:

I use Firefox, and just switched back to PM from Amarra because of the static thing. I think it only happens when my DAC is in attenuated mode (not outputting full voltage), I will check.

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #560 of 920
I fit this criteria too. I keep my D1 at 82, not at full 99 vol. so that I can at least get to 9-9:30 on the peak/volcano volume. 
Quote:
I use Firefox, and just switched back to PM from Amarra because of the static thing. I think it only happens when my DAC is in attenuated mode (not outputting full voltage), I will check.

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #562 of 920
I'm going to have to try chrome since I don't like keeping the d1 at 99, Thanks!
Quote:
I'd never have problems with the Anedio D1 (with Chrome in background), and I used its digital vol. almost exclusively. Of course it could have been causing the issues in the first place.

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #563 of 920
I'm happy to report that my static issue was evidently all headphone-related (loose HE6 connector), no problems with Amarra besides the fact that it can "wake up cranky" sometimes. Very different than PM in more than just sound quality.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #564 of 920
Pulled down Mountain Lion early this morning (0545 hrs). Only spent an hour perusing tracks with Amarra 2.4. Looking forward to tonight's listening session for deeper impressions. But early indications suggest:

- 'ML' sounds better than' L' sonically out the gate. 
biggrin.gif

- Amarra sounds like it's playing back a bit too fast! 
blink.gif

Homework @ 2300 hours!

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #566 of 920
Quote:
Pulled down Mountain Lion early this morning (0545 hrs). Only spent an hour perusing tracks with Amarra 2.4. Looking forward to tonight's listening session for deeper impressions. But early indications suggest:

biggrin.gif

blink.gif

Homework @ 2300 hours!

Interesting my friend also concurs that ML is much better sonically than Lion or Snow Leopard with Audirvana Plus in Direct and Integer mode.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #567 of 920
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

blink.gif

Homework @ 2300 hours!

Interesting my friend also concurs that ML is much better sonically than Lion or Snow Leopard with Audirvana Plus in Direct and Integer mode.

I needn't strain to hear the difference either. Walking along the audio path, low level detail and a change in tone just casually began to unfold before me. Will examine kitty for the usual suspects later tonight; tomorrow. You know, Speed, Timbre, Detail, Depth, Separation, Sound stage and so on...

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #568 of 920
Quote:

I needn't strain to hear the difference either. Walking along the audio path, low level detail and a change in tone just casually began to unfold before me. Will examine kitty for the usual suspects later tonight; tomorrow. You know, Speed, Timbre, Detail, Depth, Separation, Sound stage and so on...

I guess you're saying it's safe to upgrade now...
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #569 of 920
I'm more of a late adopter.  I let me friend discover the bugs and then follow along 6 months or so later.  Heck, I still  don't even have a solid state drive in my mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back