Amarra and Music Streamer II
Oct 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stephenbou

New Head-Fier
I'm trialing Amarra on my system (iTunes with Apple lossless on a hackintosh, Music Streamer II, Matrix M-Stage Headphone Amplifier, and HD600s).

My issue is, after careful listening, I can't tell the difference with Amarra on or off. They sound exactly the same in both cases.

Some explanations: there is something wrong with my ears, Amarra isn't actually switching on, or with the setup I have Amarra just doesn't improve it (though you'd think I'd at least be able to hear a difference). Any suggestions?

StephenB

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
I'm trialing Amarra on my system (iTunes with Apple lossless on a hackintosh, Music Streamer II, Matrix M-Stage Headphone Amplifier, and HD600s).

My issue is, after careful listening, I can't tell the difference with Amarra on or off. They sound exactly the same in both cases.

Some explanations: there is something wrong with my ears, Amarra isn't actually switching on, or with the setup I have Amarra just doesn't improve it (though you'd think I'd at least be able to hear a difference). Any suggestions?

Hi Stephen,

Off hand, I'd say it's your third conjecture. You may want to head over to a friend's house that has a different rig, and try the demo there. Even better, drag your host to a hi-fi store nearby that has a high end DAC w/headphone output and try their DAC w/your host & cans.

One last test you can do at home; to confirm that Amarra is working and, "in circuit," use its EQ feature. If you don't hear any change when switching EQ in and out, then your host is "getting in the way" somehow...There shouldn't be any reason why your host is causing it to not work but, I've never tried any of my player apps on a hackintosh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back