Am i the only one who can't stand the sound of balanced armature?
Mar 10, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #18 of 74
Driver flex has to be mentioned in this conversation guys. It can be one more annoying thing about the DDs that the BAs don't have. Again, it's a matter of preference.

Agree DDs may have driver flex, but this may not affect every individual even for the same IEM. I find driver flex is usually due to a too tight seal, and is partially related to the tips we use, how deeply we insert them + our ear anatomy. I found a few ways to mitigate it, YMMV:

1) Use foam tips instead of silicone tips, works most of the time for me. Probably cause the foam is porous and lets air escape thru the foams rather than going into the IEM shell.
2) Sometimes using another silicone tip that has lesser isolation/seal may reduce driver flex, though at the expense of isolation. Try a variety of different ear tips and sizes if you can, some tips give more driver flex than others.
3) Try opening your mouth and pulling down the earlobe before inserting the IEM, this opens the ear canal a bit for more space to insert the eartip, and hopefully some air can escape during insertion with the bigger diameter of the ear canal.
4) Insert the ear tip slowly or not too deeply initially, and slowly make fine adjustments to push it in.

But yeah driver flex may be a pain sometimes. And agree with @frix that a well designed shell goes a long way to decresing driver flex in DDs.

Mar 10, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #19 of 74
IER Z1R has the craziest bass that is undistorted, free of resonances for an In ears.

You need good tips that can stay in with a good seals

The IER Z1R have only 1 BA driver, and it is likely dwelling within upper mid spectrums. It isn’t possible to tell it apart from the whole constructions. If you paid attention that much, then you are likely to discover the in-cohesiveness rather than the timbres. But if you do, then I doubt any other multi driver IEMS can satisfy you regardless of DD or BA or hybrid ....because IER Z1R is also the best Multidriver in cohesiveness

But I agree with people who mentioned that you likely did not have a good Seal

I enjoy IER Z1R a good deal, while I don’t play instruments, but this is my core hobby.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #20 of 74
IER Z1R has the craziest bass that is undistorted, free of resonances for an In ears.

The IER Z1R have only 1 BA driver, and it is likely dwelling within upper mid spectrums. It isn’t possible to tell it apart from the whole constructions. If you paid attention that much, then you are likely to discover the in-cohesiveness rather than the timbres.

I enjoy IER Z1R a good deal, while I don’t play instruments, but this is my core hobby.
+1 the Z1R timbre is exceptional and the BA doesn't get in the way too much. I can tell it apart in some specific situations and places but all in all it's nothing like pure BA setups

Mar 10, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #21 of 74
+1 the Z1R timbre is exceptional and the BA doesn't get in the way too much. I can tell it apart in some specific situations and places but all in all it's nothing like pure BA setups
Yes, and in those specific instances, I rather take it for being very enjoyable :wink:. Then The whole package is what really unique about IER Z1R
It takes a lot for a person of full-size headphones like me to take this much liking and enjoyments from an in ears, and that is IER-Z1R

Mar 10, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #22 of 74
Yes, and in those specific instances, I rather take it for being very enjoyable :wink:. Then The whole package is what really unique about IER Z1R
It takes a lot for a person of full-size headphones like me to take this much liking and enjoyments from an in ears, and that is IER-Z1R
Where the Z1R really gets me is the bass decay combined with the treble control - to this day I haven't heard highs that are this detailed and crisp, and I don't think I'd be able to ever get over it

The other IEM that really gets the texture right is the VE Elysium Imo, but in its case it's more limited to the midrange - the bass still has that typical BA execution to it, but the entire mid spectrum is unlike anything I've seen or heard before

Mar 11, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #23 of 74

The IER Z1R have only 1 BA driver, and it is likely dwelling within upper mid spectrums. It isn’t possible to tell it apart from the whole constructions. If you paid attention that much, then you are likely to discover the in-cohesiveness rather than the timbres. But if you do, then I doubt any other multi driver IEMS can satisfy you regardless of DD or BA or hybrid ....because IER Z1R is also the best Multidriver in cohesiveness

Maybe my taste in sound is just too specific :D

The only reason why i own Over-Ears is, because there are (even though only a very few) options with Noise Cancelling that doesn't destroy the sound which makes it possible for me to listen to music on the go.

I can not listen to Music with any in-ear on the go no matter the seal, some trains emit such intense low-frequency sounds, that it takes away all joy from listening to music (specially for an bass lover like me). This is the only reason (and the only use-case) where i use over-ear.

I also played around with several Over Ear at home (with disabled ANC of course) and for me the sound was unsatisfying. It wasn't bad, not at all, but there are just certain parts in certain songs where i am so used to the sound of my Stereo Sound System at home and my in-ears, that it always made me want to listen the music with them.

All the In-Ears i owned gave me an much more finer, detailed and more balanced sound. But the comparison is a bit unfair because in-ear are, hence the name, in the ear. It is much easier for them to be good than for over ear who have bigger drivers (and the disadvantage that comes with them) further away from the eardrum and so on.

But the best sound in my personal experience is the Stereo Sound System i have at home where Bass, Mids and Highs are all perfectly balanced, linear, beautiful. Its just perfect.

I choose my headphones by comparison to my sound system, so i want the sound that comes as close as possible to what i have at home.

And that might be a an important fact, because Stereo Speakers sound nothing like BAs. Its a pair of (in total) 8 Dynamic Drivers in different sizes and from different materials, i think BAs just can't reproduce this specific sound.

DDs in Headphones can't do that either, but for me they come as close as possible to that.

Mar 11, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #24 of 74
Maybe my taste in sound is just too specific :D

The only reason why i own Over-Ears is, because there are (even though only a very few) options with Noise Cancelling that doesn't destroy the sound which makes it possible for me to listen to music on the go.

I can not listen to Music with any in-ear on the go no matter the seal, some trains emit such intense low-frequency sounds, that it takes away all joy from listening to music (specially for an bass lover like me). This is the only reason (and the only use-case) where i use over-ear.

I also played around with several Over Ear at home (with disabled ANC of course) and for me the sound was unsatisfying. It wasn't bad, not at all, but there are just certain parts in certain songs where i am so used to the sound of my Stereo Sound System at home and my in-ears, that it always made me want to listen the music with them.

All the In-Ears i owned gave me an much more finer, detailed and more balanced sound. But the comparison is a bit unfair because in-ear are, hence the name, in the ear. It is much easier for them to be good than for over ear who have bigger drivers (and the disadvantage that comes with them) further away from the eardrum and so on.

But the best sound in my personal experience is the Stereo Sound System i have at home where Bass, Mids and Highs are all perfectly balanced, linear, beautiful. Its just perfect.

I choose my headphones by comparison to my sound system, so i want the sound that comes as close as possible to what i have at home.

And that might be a an important fact, because Stereo Speakers sound nothing like BAs. Its a pair of (in total) 8 Dynamic Drivers in different sizes and from different materials, i think BAs just can't reproduce this specific sound.

DDs in Headphones can't do that either, but for me they come as close as possible to that.

Even though many of us are ridiculously opinionated to a fault, we always suggest others :) remain open minded to an extent.

This only due to our very own dumbfounded confusion mixed with surprise that stuff doesn’t always sound the way we remember it. Many have slowly moved to a slight different direction than previously thought possible. Meaning there is a good chance in a few years you may love BA IEMs.

Mar 11, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #25 of 74
what stereo do you have ? I do have stereo too, but when you get to this point I am lost...how does stereos get to be compared to in ear ? =/

If you like stereos, just stick with it, and it seems you only need ANC , there are plenty to go for

Mar 11, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #26 of 74
I agree after trying about 25 BA sets. They can be tuned well but more often than not I prefer DD and EST drivers.

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #27 of 74
The IER-Z1R is a 3-way hybrid with only a single BA driver. The one DD is for the upper treble, BA for treble and big DD for mids and bass.

This is not true. The BA is playing the entire midrange along with the big DD without a crossover, both full range. The BA is even playing a bit of the bass.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Mar 12, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #28 of 74
This is not true. The BA is playing the entire midrange along with the big DD without a crossover, both full range. The BA is even playing a bit of the bass.

That’s fascinating. So the crossover is only for the DD tweeter?

Mar 12, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #30 of 74
what stereo do you have ? I do have stereo too, but when you get to this point I am lost...how does stereos get to be compared to in ear ? =/

If you like stereos, just stick with it, and it seems you only need ANC , there are plenty to go for
Not sure what exactly you mean with "Stereos". Over Ear? For me Stereos are the big stand speakers i have at home^^ so that might be confusing.

After testing a lot of different Over Ear, i decided for the Teufel REAL BLUE NC (40mm Linear HD Dynamic Drivers) because they were the only one, that made the music not sound like ass when ANC is turned on. The downside of this is, that the ANC is pretty weak (afaik the Teufel have the weakest ANC on the market).

Sure it always is a compromise but if i have to take an compromise, i rather choose the weaker ANC and better music.

But i dont like the overall sound of over ear (even with ANC disabled), and i have not found any In Ear which had an acceptable sound with ANC enabled so far.

Thats why i own both. In-Ear for listening to music in quiet areas, Over Ear with ANC for Train rides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back