am i ripping my friend off?
Oct 16, 2012 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

reddragon

Headphoneus Supremus
So my friend is currently using a crappy 2 dollars iems and he wants an upgrade. His source is a crappy phone. He said his iem budget is about $50. I told him I'm willing to sell my 1 year old etymotic research hf5 for $50 and will let him listen before he makes a decision. Its in perfect condition so I want to ask you guys if I'm ripping him off or not. I'm not trying to be an a**hole and make money off him but rather let him have a better listening experience without having to pay full price. I'm more than happy to recommend him something else if there's something better than etymotic research hf5 at the $50 price range. I'm not going to raise the price by any chance but I'm wondering if I should further lower it if I'm not giving him a good deal. So what do you think guys? Lower the price or I'm already being a good friend?

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 35
Not at all I just recently sold my HF5 for $50 which was half of what I paid so thats a very fair price.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 35
what are friends for....just give it to him for a month. 
After which the price will be 50+ X ....:p
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 35
Point him in the direction of monoprice 8320 IEM's. Will only cost him $7.11 and they sound great. Then you can keep your etymotics and not worry about whether your ripping him off or not.

Question is does monoprice better the etymotic research in sound quality? If it does, then I will recommend that to him instead. If it doesn't I will lower price of my hf5.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 35
The Monoprice does not sound better than the HF5, its not even close and yes I had both.  $50 is a perfectly good price for a used HF5 so don't feel bad.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 35
Make him pay the $50. He'll appreciate it more if he buys it.

Good point, placebo huh? If its more expensive it must be better!!! If I give it to him for free, he may think its another one of his crappy 2 dollars iems? I think I will make him pay $40 instead though because I don't want him to feel like getting ripped off either.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:
Good point, placebo huh? If its more expensive it must be better!!! If I give it to him for free, he may think its another one of his crappy 2 dollars iems? I think I will make him pay $40 instead though because I don't want him to feel like getting ripped off either.

Well it's not just that. $50 is a decent price to buy a HF5. If he appreciates the HF5 and move on to other headphones, maybe he'll look back and realize how good a deal he got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back