Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?
Sep 26, 2006 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Mortalcoil

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello people,

Picked up a pair of new RS-2s last week.Ive been loving them ever since.Overall I would say that Ive been quite lucky with the finish quality,considering the famous RS-1 "Late Friday" thread.

However,one of the cups inner ridges (where the bowl sits) has 2 small chips on it.To the naked eye (and with the bowl on) its not noticeable,everything else about the hp seems top notch.

Would you be concerned?It appears that these 2 little chips were laquered over after being completed.In other words it doesnt appear to be fresh.

What are your thoughts?.Take them back and risk getting a worse pair?.Or stop being so anal ,enjoy them ,and remember that any handmade object will (in alot of cases) have flaws.

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 22
I just checked mine and they appear perfect.

I'd say if it bugs you now, it will only bug you more after your 30day return period expires. Send them back.

Sep 26, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr
I just checked mine and they appear perfect.

I'd say if it bugs you now, it will only bug you more after your 30day return period expires. Send them back.

agreed,

imho anything bought new should be flawless. Does that make me anal? The more we allow the worser the quality control will get in the long run. Fair play that Grado's are hand made but then they should put it in their documention "Expect minor dings & chips because they were hand made... it adds individuality!".

The early production RS1s/RS2s... now those were flawless.

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 22
Or you could call in with the problem and ask for a discount as them being the equivalent of "factory reject". If they say no then have them exchanged, if they say yes they you have to determine if a $$$ is worth the chips or not.

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 22
Heck a defect is a defect. The quality requirement is defined by the customer.

send em back I say.

The build quality of a $450 headphone shouldn't look worse than a coby junk can @ target.

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Heck a defect is a defect. The quality requirement is defined by the customer.

send em back I say.

The build quality of a $450 headphone shouldn't look worse than a coby junk can @ target.

totally agreed. send em back! It'll be worth your sanity.

oh lmao. coby. o boy.

Sep 27, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 22
Thanks guys for the replies.After some debate Ive made up my mind finally to keep them,warts and all.
Living in Toronto the oppurtunity to track down Grado RS-2s at a fair price is almost a miracle (paid $580 CDN by the way).

Ive had to consider that of the few pairs I was able to track down,all had some sort of cosmetic flaw more noticeable than the ones Im describing.On a positive note,they are sounding better by the hour,how could I part with them now.My logic is that this "flaw" in my RS-2 really is quite minor and is hidden from view,why take a chance on another pair where a whole myriad of other problems might rear theyre ugly heads?

Better to know your devil , if you know what I mean.

Ok , I will stop whining now.Back to the music.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil
Hello people,

Picked up a pair of new RS-2s last week.Ive been loving them ever since.Overall I would say that Ive been quite lucky with the finish quality,considering the famous RS-1 "Late Friday" thread.

However,one of the cups inner ridges (where the bowl sits) has 2 small chips on it.To the naked eye (and with the bowl on) its not noticeable,everything else about the hp seems top notch.

Would you be concerned?It appears that these 2 little chips were laquered over after being completed.In other words it doesnt appear to be fresh.

What are your thoughts?.Take them back and risk getting a worse pair?.Or stop being so anal ,enjoy them ,and remember that any handmade object will (in alot of cases) have flaws.

I purchased a pair of RS-2's a few months ago that also that little chips that had been lacquered over, except they were located one side of an outer cup on the rim right near where the screen is. I decided to keep them. Why sweat the small stuff. Late Friday RS-2,right? My model number is 531 in case of any possible coincedences. I guess I was just happy to actually have a pair.

Sep 27, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #9 of 22
I know what you guys mean about keeping something that you like; flaws and all! I mean; it shows that some human being was in the chain somewhere!! In the case of our phones; people are in there, busy little fingers working their craft every step of the way!

One of the favorite parts of my Jeep(that I bought back in '87!)is a windshield tie-down loop right out in the open on top of the hood that happens to be about 13-15 degrees out of true! This thing is obvious! Sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb! Wasn't done by a robot unless some human goofed up the programming showing a bit of humanity! Probably it was installed by a human, a guy or gal with a face, who may have been having a bad day, or was just tired, or may have had a Molsons not long before. But a real person was involved in the manufacture of this, "My" Jeep; the one with the crooked tie-down!! Gotta luv it!

.....I'm still looking for some minor flaw in addition to the height adjuster not being installed all the way into the plastic "C"-ring; with my MS2i to show that people; not robots, made them. Something else unusual, to show that these cans are uniquely "mine"!!

Sep 27, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #10 of 22
My 225's have something very similar. On both cups, about 1CM left of where the chord come is... there is what appears to be a scrape. It was on both cups, similar in shape, size, and location. I figured it was a manufacturing defect that any pair would be plagued with, so I didn't bother to have it fixed. It is purely cosmetic though, and hard to notice. I can't see yours to know how it compares to mine but mine really isn't noticeable unless I look for it. Also, slightly bothersome, the button on the right cup is rotated about 30 degrees to far right. Again, purely cosmetic, and something I don't notice unless I look for it. For such a small issue, I wouldn't want to give them up long enough to exchange them
rs1smile.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman
My 225's have something very similar. On both cups, about 1CM left of where the chord come is... there is what appears to be a scrape. It was on both cups, similar in shape, size, and location. I figured it was a manufacturing defect that any pair would be plagued with

All plastic bodied Grados have the defect you are describing. It is where the earcups are attached to the plastic "tree" during the pressure injection molding process. When the cups are cut from the tree, you are left with a "scrape" or rough spot. I used to build plastic model cars when I was younger and the same thing happens.

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #12 of 22
You guys are making me feel better about the situation,thanks.I guess I would also agree that every nik,scratch,or tic does make it "your own".Adds character,personality and all that good stuff.

On the other hand,high end headphones are definately fit a niche market with a fair amount of healthy competition.Grado could increase theyre QC a little though.

Anyways,I cant complain;It is,at the end of the day my decision to keep them,and most definately enjoy them.

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman
My 225's have something very similar. On both cups, about 1CM left of where the chord come is... there is what appears to be a scrape. It was on both cups, similar in shape, size, and location. I figured it was a manufacturing defect that any pair would be plagued with, so I didn't bother to have it fixed. It is purely cosmetic though, and hard to notice. I can't see yours to know how it compares to mine but mine really isn't noticeable unless I look for it. Also, slightly bothersome, the button on the right cup is rotated about 30 degrees to far right. Again, purely cosmetic, and something I don't notice unless I look for it. For such a small issue, I wouldn't want to give them up long enough to exchange them
rs1smile.gif

Hey! How 'bout that!! My MS-1s have the same "scrape"!

What it looks like it may be, is where the cups are cut from the sprues from the molding process. I suspect it could be polished and buffed up and removed pretty much with a bit of effort. But it would be pretty expensive to take that much time at the "factory"! Something that I understand "is" pretty expensive is the ID button! Both fairly expensive to produce, and tricky and time-consuming to install.

Yup; our cans are made by real people at that!

Sep 27, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 22
Mortalcoil - congrats on the cans and definitely good work finding that price. At $580 I can guarantee you didn't go to Bay Bloor Radio!
blink.gif

My quest right now is finding RS-1s new, for less than $950!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back