Am I being stupid? Should I just buy the holy grail instead? What would you suggest?
Jul 11, 2010 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

HyperM3

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I started with many IEM's until I settled on the SE530 which I love. Then I started on cans where I got the SRH840, then the Senn HD 25-1 and now have the Beyer T50p's arriving on Tuesday(all within a span of 6 months). I'm looking for the best portable closed headphone out there. Should I stop buying ones that are <$350 and just pony up and buy one of the Super High end models? I have an amp coming also soon(Arrow 12HE) so include that in your opinions.

I don't mind spending the money and I usually like to do things right the first time. I only want closed back so I don't bother anyone that might be sharing a seat next to me or blocking sound when I'm on an airplane. This will only be played through my iPod classic w or w/out my amp and nothing else(not at home or on the computer).

I listen to mostly Electronica(Metric, Florence + The Machine), Folk(Lots of female vocals), Rock(Linkin Park, Evanescence). I don't care about having BASS in my face, I just want it tight and to the point. I do want my vocals to be crisp and clear and my highs to not be too sharp. I know I wont get the soundstage out of closed cans like you can on open cans but there's hope right? I just want amazing sound and be done with it.

Is it dumb(waste?) to put $700+($1000+?) cans with an ipod for portable use? If you were in my shoes, what would you suggest based on what you've sampled, read, heard or owned?

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 30
ultrasone Ed8

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 30

Quote:
ultrasone Ed8

Thats actually been the headphones Ive had my eye on. Will that cover all the bases though? Is it stupid to be traveling with a pair of headphones that cost that much? Is it stupid to be using these headphones with just an iPod(and amp)? Did you give this answer based on current ownership, experience or just what youve read?

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 30
If I were spending that much on headphones (over 300) I wouldn't use an iPod as a portable player, but that's just me.

Of course they're going to benefit from an amp and since you have an Arrow you should be good if they aren't too hard to drive.

As for traveling with phones that cost that much.... if you like the SQ then I don't see a problem with it :)

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
If I were spending that much on headphones (over 300) I wouldn't use an iPod as a portable player, but that's just me.

Ok cool, appreciate your input. What would you use as a portable player though?

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 30
s:flo2 has amazing SQ and beats pretty much 90 percent of all other DAPs out there (same league as iMod/HiFi Man).

I would say to see if you could get an iMod if you have the money. Better UI and more space.... you have to use an amp. If I had the money I'd get that instead of the s:flo2 although some people say they like the SQ of the s:flo2 more.

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 30
I don't think you're being stupid. What you shouldn't do is go for the grail before you know which one you want. If it isn't what you really want, you'll lose money buying and selling until you find what works for you. Also, keep in mind that the "lesser" equipment is usually very good and will let you enjoy the music. Before committing four figures, I strongly recommend attending a meet or two. You'll be surprised at what you like and dislike.

Jul 11, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 30
If you look up the FR and distortion numbers for the most recent iPods and iPhones they're perfectly fine - the bass rolloff was eliminated quite a while ago.

Obviously, they won't drive super-low sensitivity phones, but that's pretty obvious. I would perfect the headphones before worrying about your player.

For the best portable sound, I would suggest you'd probably be better off with some good customs rather than closed phones. I haven't heard any closed phones better than my JH13's - of course, then you're going the custom route and are stuck, so trying a pair of demos is advised. If you do want closed 'phones, the advice above regarding attending a meet is wise to follow, and you should buy used as well so you can sell with minimal losses.

Jul 11, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
If you look up the FR and distortion numbers for the most recent iPods and iPhones they're perfectly fine - the bass rolloff was eliminated quite a while ago.

Obviously, they won't drive super-low sensitivity phones, but that's pretty obvious. I would perfect the headphones before worrying about your player.

For the best portable sound, I would suggest you'd probably be better off with some good customs rather than closed phones. I haven't heard any closed phones better than my JH13's - of course, then you're going the custom route and are stuck, so trying a pair of demos is advised. If you do want closed 'phones, the advice above regarding attending a meet is wise to follow, and you should buy used as well so you can sell with minimal losses.

All good advice. I already have IEM's with custom tips which is fine but I wanted to go the headphone route this time just for ease of use. Doesnt seem to be many meets around me though. Guess Ill troll the FS forum for a bit.

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 30

Quote:
Thats actually been the headphones Ive had my eye on. Will that cover all the bases though? Is it stupid to be traveling with a pair of headphones that cost that much? Is it stupid to be using these headphones with just an iPod(and amp)? Did you give this answer based on current ownership, experience or just what youve read?

My answer is based on ownership (as you can see from my sig) although I don't use them portably (they are recabled for balanced use with my home rig). Transportably I use JH13 and ultra portable Etymotics HF2. I would rate the Ed8 and the JH13 on the same level though not exactly the same sound. I find that both will make most anything sound at least good and for the most time outstanding doing nothing really wrong with anything. If I HAD to choose just one it would be the JH13 simply because I can't be bothered to travel with something the size of the Ed8 (although for full circumaural they are about as small as they come). Also the Ed8 is the best I've come across in a full size phone for isolation and no leaking (use it at night in bed with the wife sleeping next to me and no complaints).

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #11 of 30

Quote:
My answer is based on ownership (as you can see from my sig) although I don't use them portably (they are recabled for balanced use with my home rig). Transportably I use JH13 and ultra portable Etymotics HF2. I would rate the Ed8 and the JH13 on the same level though not exactly the same sound. I find that both will make most anything sound at least good and for the most time outstanding doing nothing really wrong with anything. If I HAD to choose just one it would be the JH13 simply because I can't be bothered to travel with something the size of the Ed8 (although for full circumaural they are about as small as they come). Also the Ed8 is the best I've come across in a full size phone for isolation and no leaking (use it at night in bed with the wife sleeping next to me and no complaints).

Cool, thanks for your opinion. I think Im still trying to go the headphone route as I really dont want to go higher than the IEM's I already have. Its good to hear from another ED8 owner. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #12 of 30
Well.....i started from Klipsch S4,t then RE0 then UM3X then W3.
I've grew tired of all of them and now i'm moving to full-sized headphones.
My 2 cents, a headphones which cost less than a top tier IEM can probably still sound better than the IEM.
Why not skip all the crap and just go to full-sized?
btw. i'm getting a DT770 which sounds just awesome :)

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
Why not skip all the crap and just go to full-sized?
btw. i'm getting a DT770 which sounds just awesome :)

Thats what my OP was about wasnt it? I want a full sounding closed can for portable use.

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 30
My experience with passive sealed headphones is that they don't isolate low frequency airplane engine noise all that well, something that Headroom also notes, but I've never tried the Ed8. That said, if the main usage is on flights, then I would go the custom IEM route. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 30

Quote:
My experience with passive sealed headphones is that they don't isolate low frequency airplane engine noise all that well, something that Headroom also notes, but I've never tried the Ed8. That said, if the main usage is on flights, then I would go the custom IEM route. 

I have custom tips on my IEM's. They work well but arent comfortable on long listening sessions for me, especially since Im a chronic gum chewer. Its not entirely going to be for airplanes, just a side effect. I dont even care if it blocks the sound from outside, i just dont want any audio leakage to my seat neighbors. Maybe I am asking for too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back