Am I being stupid? Should I just buy the holy grail instead? What would you suggest?
Jul 12, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #16 of 30
In that case, no, not at all. The ESW10JPN are a lot of fun for example, don't leak but don't isolate much either. That said, custom IEMs should be in another performance class from SE530 + custom tips, being the 4-8 driver monsters (some with active crossover) that they are these days. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #17 of 30

Quote:
In that case, no, not at all. The ESW10JPN are a lot of fun for example, don't leak but don't isolate much either. That said, custom IEMs should be in another performance class from SE530 + custom tips, being the 4-8 driver monsters (some with active crossover) that they are these days. 

I was looking at the ESW10JPN also, beautiful cans and very nicely priced. But I just havent heard much in regard to them. Nobody brings them up in comparisons.

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #18 of 30
The ESW9s are great, they have a warm sound to them and smooth mids, not sure how they compare to the 10JPNs though.

Jul 13, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #19 of 30
Hmm.....no wonder i got confused.
I don't really then full-sized are portables?
well i think that depends on personal preferances i guess.
But i don't think most full sized will give you the isolation you need on the go compared to iems.

Jul 13, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #20 of 30

Quote:
Hmm.....no wonder i got confused.
I don't really then full-sized are portables?
well i think that depends on personal preferances i guess.
But i don't think most full sized will give you the isolation you need on the go compared to iems.

Again, not looking for isolation per se, as much as audio leakage. I dont care about blocking sounds, i just dont want to annoy anyone sitting next to me. Otherwise, Id be all over the HD800's.(EDIT: Then again, they arent that portable, so nix that)

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:
I was looking at the ESW10JPN also, beautiful cans and very nicely priced. But I just havent heard much in regard to them. Nobody brings them up in comparisons.

Really? I've seen plenty, really, against Grados, other AT's and everything. Generally I'd say technically competent headphones (by big headphone standards, except for soundstage) with a really sweet frequency response - just enough of a midbass bump to be punchy with being overwhelming, easy treble and great mids. Not everyone's taste, and supposedly a whole class below Ed8 & top customs, but lovely in their own right. 

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #23 of 30
Dude. Don't get ED8s... I didn't like them at all for the price.

Why have you not tried the Ultrasone Pro Series? I recommend the 550, 750, or 900

Incredibly fun sound does not come with a high price tag and I find the "fun sound" decreases as price reaches >$700
They try to make everything more balanced. More boring IMO  haha

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #24 of 30
They are GREAT headphones. Amazing mids.  All my friends dig the crap outta them. However, I tend to like a more V sound. Mids tire my ears out more even as intimate sounding as they are

Quote:

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #25 of 30
JH13 is your key to best sound + portability.
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #26 of 30

Quote:
I have custom tips on my IEM's. They work well but arent comfortable on long listening sessions for me, especially since Im a chronic gum chewer. Its not entirely going to be for airplanes, just a side effect. I dont even care if it blocks the sound from outside, i just dont want any audio leakage to my seat neighbors. Maybe I am asking for too much.

I can completely relate.  And no, I don't think you're asking for too much.  I don't mind a little sound leaking in, but I don't like bugging others with my own music.  I too prefer cans over IEMs.  It can get uncomfortable to have something inside your ears after a while, not that having the cups pressing against my big ol' dumbo ears don't hurt either, but I can deal with one easier than the other.

I see you have the T50p and I do agree they leak out a bit.  I usually use my AKG K271's or the Ultrasone Pro900's but with the summer heat, I've been mostly using the T50p since it doesn't get as hot and I don't need to carry around a portable amp.  I've been curious about the Ed8 as well.  I once even tried going around my D7000's, but it was ridiculous the cable is just too darn long!

You mentioned there was no Meets near you, but if NJ in your profile is right, then there's a big one coming up on the 24th this month.  I know I'm going.  It'll be my first and I have a ton of things I want to hear and compare.

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #28 of 30
If you love your Shures, why not go all the way and get them custom molded by Fisher. They will be very comfortable for very long periods of time. Zero sound leakage is a bonus. I did this with my Triple10's and it has worked out very well.
As to full size phones, the important thing is to wait. Wait until you get your Arrow. The most important thing in this game is matching, and nothing is more important than matching an amp to phones. I had the Arrow for a couple of weeks and it is a wonderful little amp, but it was a horrible match with my Triple10's..it made all music sound plodding and devoid of life.
But it made my old Sony V6's sound 100 times better than they ever had.
My advice is not to do anything (this is the hardest thing to do ) until you get your amp. 
Patience is a virtue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back