Alternative to SM3 with more extended(not piercing) highs?
Aug 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sludig

100+ Head-Fier
I love Earsonics SM3, but after listening LCD-2 I found they have similar sound signature but LCD-2 has more extended highs (and many other improvements of course).
I´d like to find a IEMs or CIEMs which has this sound signature but more extended highs. I don´t like piercing highs or sibilant, only more extended, because seems like with SM3 I lost an important part of the frequency spectrum.

What do you think about it and what earphone do you recommend me? 
Thanks!

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 11
Have you tried tips with a wide opening / larger bore size? I found that with comply tips and the grey silicone tips, the treble response on the SM3 is subdued. The included double flanges are good, but didn't give me a good fit. What I ended up doing is cutting off the stem from the double flange tips and using silicone tips from some cheap IEM (from the JVC FX101) and fitting those on the cut-off stem from the double flanges. In my experience this significantly increased clarity, extension improved, and I got a great seal that was more comfortable in my experience.

I would try out some different tip mods and see what you find before spending more money. If it still doesn't work out for you, you could always try something like the W4R. Spiral Ear CIEMs are also nice, but IMO you need to be very particular with the ear impressions that you have made otherwise it may not completely satisfy your requirements with regards to sound signature and extension.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 11
THanks for your answers. I can try both options: tips and filters. Although I´m going to see if filters can be put again in its place, or can´t be.

In the other hand, Spairal Ear seems amazing, but a bit expensive for me. I had been reading about Dunu DC4 and Ambient Acoustic AM4 Pro, which are cheaper and maybe can be similar to SM3. Do you have try one of them or both?

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 11
I love Earsonics SM3, but after listening LCD-2 I found they have similar sound signature but LCD-2 has more extended highs (and many other improvements of course).
I´d like to find a IEMs or CIEMs which has this sound signature but more extended highs. I don´t like piercing highs or sibilant, only more extended, because seems like with SM3 I lost an important part of the frequency spectrum.

Thanks!

That's easy bud not cheap. The SM3 is my favorite relatively inexpensive iem. For universal, the Fitear 334 is awesome but is more like the LCD-2 than the SM3, for custom the JH13 freqphase sounds like the SM3 with better extension. The Fitear is more organic with rumbling bass, the JH13 more neutral. Both are awesome and will destroy your wallet.

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Thanks!

Try the SM64, it improves almost every aspect from the SM3. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 11
Try the BTG Starlight cable if you want more treble extension, that is if we're talking about the SM3v2. It'll run you $105, but it's well-built and worth the money. Messing with the filters can be risky, and you may not like the change in sound sig.

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 11
I own the sm3 and i can say the fischer amps fa 4e xb are still a big step over them while they cost 30 euros more... the highs are simply in another league, but the fa are fun sounding iems maybe you are looking for a bit more neutral sound.

They sound great with most music genres though

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #11 of 11
Many thanks for your answers. Now I have a better idea about my next step.

I have seen some CIEMs from Cosmic Ears too, how are they compare to SM3, specially HY3, BA4 or B2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back