Alright, need an amp for low imp headphones
Nov 21, 2001 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Vertigo-1

Señor Sony
While my RKV devastates every amp that I've ever put against it, there's one big problem I have with it...hiss. The lower the impedance, the more nasty the hiss. And since the R10s have a relatively low impedance AND a very high sensitivity, I get a very nasty hiss through them. On the other hand, it's not a problem at all for Sennheisers. For the most part I've just lived with it since vocal music tends to grow loud enough to cover over the hiss, but lately since I started listening more to instrumental music, that hiss has gotten pretty distracting. So I'm looking to switch from the RKV to something a little quieter, without giving up its performance which by now I've discovered is very hard to match without getting extravagant with the price.

My price range is as below $1000 as possible, given I just killed my bank account with the Sony 9000ES, and the criteria is no background hiss with low impedance headphones, soundstage, transparency, and DETAIL. MAD DETAIL AND TREBLE. The obvious consideration for me is the Sugden Headmaster, but then what haunts me is that I just got away from a McCormack because I found it dark sounding, contrary to everybody saying it's a bright amp. Compared to the RKV, the RKV just has much more extended, clearer treble (still not detailed enough for me, but it is more extended and hearable) and a much more solid and lower bass. Given that, I'm not so sure I'd find the Sugden all that hot if it's yet another solid state amp that's just smooth as a baby's butt, and therefore not detailed enough.

The other item I've considered is the Earmax Pro, but I'm guessing it'd be a total downgrade from my RKV, and would probably still have hiss. I'm guessing if I want to avoid hiss I'd either have to go solid state or spend on the more insanely expensive tube amps such as the EAR HP4 and above.

I'd like to consider Headroom amps, but in the past I've found that their amps have rolled off highs...similar to what I heard on the McCormack. I don't know if the new lineup corrects this, but from the Texas Headfi meeting I'm getting the impression that it doesn't.

So given all this, is it the Sugden or nothing?

Nov 21, 2001 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

The other item I've considered is the Earmax Pro, but I'm guessing it'd be a total downgrade from my RKV, and would probably still have hiss.

errmm, yeah..right, vert....

Nov 21, 2001 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 20
It's too bad you can't use a Musical Fidelity A3^CR Pre-amp as a headphone amp...or can you? In the Stereophile review, they said something about 3W of gain? But then again, that's got a MSRP of US$1500, and is hard to find used. Probably worth trying if you can adapt the connections with some sort of quality adapter (Markertek/Canare?).

Hey, DarkAngel, did you ever try that?

Nov 21, 2001 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 20
Also forgot to add the MicroZOTL to the pile...

RickG, hey if it's a tube amp that doesn't hiss, I'm all for it. So does the Earmax Pro have any hiss with low impedance headphones?

Nov 21, 2001 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 20
Vert, have you tried tube-rolling the RKV? Maybe the ones you have are just noisy or something.

Nov 21, 2001 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 20
Vert, the new line of HeadRoom amps are not rolled-off in the treble to my ears when not using crossfeed. In addition, they have two features that may make them perfect for you: 1) adjustable gain; and 2) high frequency filter.

The adjustable gain would be perfect for your collection of low- and high-impedance cans, and you'll get *no* hiss at all.

The filter serves two purposes -- the crossfeed processor (excellent, by the way) does roll off highs slightly (nowhere near what the older models did, but still does just a bit) so you can turn it to "bright" to compensate. Also, some people (*cough* Vertigo *cough*
wink.gif
) like their sound brighter and more detailed, and the filter's two settings (bright and brighter) might really mesh with your tastes.

For $999 you can get the Maxed Out Home -- and you can return it after 30 days if you don't like it, right?
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2001 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
...have you tried tube-rolling the RKV?...

Hahaha, that's pretty funny. Try asking anyone for a PCL805 and they'll give you a funny look. "You mean an 805 power tube?" "No, I mean a PCL805..."

Sorry, don't get me wrong, it's not impossible. I've done it. But it's a lot harder than rolling something well known, like a normal power tube or one for an input stage. PCL805's were originally designed for televisions.

But that does remind me -- Vert (do you mind being called that?), have you tried leaving yours on for more than 24 hours? I use Senns, so I don't get any hiss.

Hey! Maybe you need that impedancer! Where's templeboy...?

Nov 21, 2001 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Hahaha, that's pretty funny. Try asking anyone for a PCL805 and they'll give you a funny look.

Ditto. When dhwilkin posted that, I just gave his post a funny look.
tongue.gif
I do have a spare pair of spanking new 805s, albeit not very great ones, I could try popping them in and seeing if they'll do anything for the hiss.

I haven't tried leaving it on for 24/7, but I'm not sure that'll do anything. And no I don't mind being called "Vert"
cool.gif

Neruda, it'd be very uncool to get a Sugden and end up not liking it. As far as I know, anyplace that sells it doesn't allow returns, and it isn't exactly cheap, especially not after the price rise on it. I'm more tempted to go order an Earmax Pro from Themegifts and audition that since it IS returnable. Or one of Headroom's amps. But even then there is this thing called a credit limit, and waiting for each company to return the credit could stretch this into a 3 month audition or something.

MacDEF, I actually tried doing that "trick" and just turning on the filters to brighten the sound with the older Max...but it then made the treble sound really unnatural, as it probably wasn't exactly meant to be used on its own. Of course they might've retweaked the current lineup's filters so who knows.

Nov 21, 2001 at 9:09 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
I haven't tried leaving it on for 24/7, but I'm not sure that'll do anything.

You wouldn't think it does, but it does. I do. Really nice in these winter months (it's right next to the bed). I don't think it'll reduce the hiss, but maybe it'll make it a little bit more euphonic. And then you won't care.
tongue.gif

I still say you look into the impedancer. Then you won't need another amp. You're already happy with this one...I think templeboy should be getting a PM from you..."Hey, templeboy, here's a link to this thread, could you post your thoughts, please?"

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&threadid=2709

Nov 21, 2001 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 20
Oh, well EXCUUUUUSE ME for not knowing the availability of every different tube used in headphone amps.
rolleyes.gif

Oh well, doesn't matter, I can see when my help isn't wanted.
mad.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2001 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Oh, well EXCUUUUUSE ME for not knowing the availability of every different tube used in headphone amps.
rolleyes.gif

Oh well, doesn't matter, I can see when my help isn't wanted.
mad.gif
tongue.gif

Dude, it's nothing personal.

But just for example, go over to aa, and you'll see a whole page devoted to every kind of EL84 and 6922 under the sun...but PCL805? (sound of crickets)

L, there's more information on the 805 power tube over there, and the Cary 805 amp then there is of this particular tube.

Nov 21, 2001 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 20
I think the Sugden would fit the bill perfectly. I think there's still a few out there without the remote control and increased price...mine is coming in next week. I don't know about return policies but given the cheaper non-remote unit will be history shortly I think that offers some price protection if for some insane reason
wink.gif
you didn't like it. It's very neutral so if you're looking for something that will boost the bass or treble it won't do that, but it doesn't take anything away either.

Nov 21, 2001 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 20
I'm not sure the ZOTL will give you the hyper detail you're looking for, however, I find it to be a fantastic mate for my CD3000s if that sways you. Maybe Sugden is safer bet in the detail department, though.

In any case maybe safest bet is to give them both a try!

markl

Nov 22, 2001 at 3:11 AM Post #15 of 20
Well I'm not sure the headphone amp exists for you. I have the McCormack MID and if you think it has rolled off highs then I'm not really sure that any amp will be what you want. IMO the McCormack has an exceptionally neutral frequency response and provides a very balanced frequency presentation to either speakers or headphones. If the cans or speakers are capable the high end and low end extension is very good. If the Sugden is even more neutral and has better high end extension, it could only be a very small difference. As always IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back