Alright, need an amp for low imp headphones
Nov 22, 2001 at 4:57 AM Post #16 of 20
It's probably not worth my time or effort or money in the end to go and search for another amp given all I want is no hiss and a stronger treble, so I guess I'll just wait for the amp JMT's building for me. I know for a fact the Altoid amps are definitely crystal clear bright.

I tried replacing the tubes and then letting the tubes run for about 8 hours or so...and there's still hiss. Oh well, maybe there'll just have to be an RKV for sale in the near future...

Nov 22, 2001 at 10:30 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

DETAIL. MAD DETAIL AND TREBLE

Vertigo,
This doesn't sound like the Earmax, somehow. The Earmax seems to be about things like musical accuracy, liquidity, low-level linearity, micro-dynamics, ambience, timbral fidelity, homogenousness, and bass extension. A solid state amp like the Sugden or a JMT might be more to your liking. I don't know whether introducing a transformer into the RKV's signal path would be a solution either. After all, some of the RKV's superior musicality is probably due to its OTL design.

The lowest impedance phone I have tried with the Earmax Pro hass been a Grado SR-125. There was no hiss, but I found the treble to be really annoying and over-emphasized. I thought this was simply the Grado sound I didn't like. The lowest impedance phone I have used extensively (for more than a year) with the Earmax is the Audio Technica ATH-A5, a closed design with 60 Ohms and 100dB/mW sensitivity. Again: not a trace of hiss and more bass extension, slam, body and presence than with the Senns HD 580/600. To me, the Earmax is dead silent. markl has been more critical of its performance with low impedance phones, but I wonder whether this might be attributable to his 110 volt version.

Themegifts seem to think that it works great with the ol' King o' phones, but the R10 has a nominal impedance of 40 Ohms, might be even lower at some frequencies. On the other hand, if you can return the Earmax: what is the risk? And, before all: I would like to read your review comparing the RKV and the Earmax, of course.
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2001 at 11:20 AM Post #19 of 20
Vertigo_1, If you try the Sudgen Headmaster, and think you need more detail, and transparency you need to give up.
Of all the big boy headphone amps I have heard none of them even comes close to the transparency, and detail of the Headmaster, but musical it isn't.
Want more detail? Try some silver interconnects.
Good luck!

Nov 23, 2001 at 12:04 AM Post #20 of 20
Veritgo-1: If i were you i would wait for the JMT amp. and if possible ask him if he could put a real High Current output stage in it that has at least 1/2 of an Amp of output current. Your Cans like lots of output Current and thay respond well by having it available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back