ALO Ultrasone 780J vs Grado RS1i
Dec 27, 2010 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

meltedspider

New Head-Fier
Hi All! 

I am currently deciding between these two headphones:  ALO modified Ultrasone 780 with 18AWG JenaLabs Cryo wire or the stock Grado RS1i.

I will be using them primarily at home plugged directly into my macbook.  I listen to mostly electronic/pop/hip-hop/r&b.  I will also be using them for mixing a couple of tracks I am producing.  

Where I live I am not able to test either of them out but I have narrowed it down to these two.  Please help me choose!  Thanks in advance for your replies!

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Hi All! 

I am currently deciding between these two headphones:  ALO modified Ultrasone 780 with 18AWG JenaLabs Cryo wire or the stock Grado RS1i.

I will be using them primarily at home plugged directly into my macbook.  I listen to mostly electronic/pop/hip-hop/r&b.  I will also be using them for mixing a couple of tracks I am producing.  

Where I live I am not able to test either of them out but I have narrowed it down to these two.  Please help me choose!  Thanks in advance for your replies!

I can't comment on the Grados, but I do own the ALO-780 (stock cable) and I do have some words on that set. The Ultrasones are all about mids, and then have a strong bass presence. Instrumentation-wise, anything synth/electronic and male voice is brought way up in the mix (at the sacrifice of detail, IMO). I am very impressed with the presentation of drums (skinned especially). They also sound great without an amplifier (having used it straight from my iPod and on my rig)

Though they definitely would sound great with your musical preferences, I can't say that I would ever recommend them for mixing purposes, because they are such a colored sound that sacrifice detail. Great cans for electronic listening, though.

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 10
The Grados are terrible for mixing, their frequency graph is all over the place
biggrin.gif
  they are meant for music listening only.
I've not heard the ALO 780's, but I think you're better off going for some studio monitors like Sennheiser HD25-1 II's or maybe Shure SRH840's.

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 10
Grados and Ultrasones a great for listening to music. For mixing... not! They sound so different from each other in many respects that anything mixed under any of them will probably sound funny on the other. Imagine treble mixed under the Ultrasone influence listened through a Grado... far from good. Get some studio quality cans for mixing.

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
The Grados are terrible for mixing, their frequency graph is all over the place
biggrin.gif
  they are meant for music listening only.

The first ever Grado headphones, HP1000, were designed to be used as a studio monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back