ALO Rx
Jun 23, 2010 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

welchie

100+ Head-Fier
Well I just received my new ALO Rx and WOW!. I had the P-51 Mustang before and it was great, but I'm so pleased with the rx. Very dynamic which has been used before to describe the sound. I'll add vibrant, detailed, great sound stage, with hi, mid, and lows all receiving equal and powerful representation. I'm pairing this with my 5.5 grn imod with ALO's super iMod LOD cable.
Very happy, very pleased. Thanks ALO, again, lol.

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 24
Congrats on the ALO Rx ... I purchased one with the RWA 5th Gen IMOD and have been so pleased with the purchase as well. Have been working to upgrade my IEMS ... gone the way of customs having gone from Shure 530s.

Looking forward to listening to the Rx with remolded JH13s and a new pair of Rooth LS8s - 8-driver custom IEM.

After that I am done purchasing for quite a while as I have been pleased with the sound I have been getting out the Rx.

Enjoy the ride!!!

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 24
Oh yes, I forgot to mention my iem's which are Westone UM3X's. I do want to go customs, but the dollars are too tight now.

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 24

Quote:
Oh yes, I forgot to mention my iem's which are Westone UM3X's. I do want to go customs, but the dollars are too tight now.

I learned this from other head-fiers over the course of this journey towards aural nirvana ... buy one item at a time as you updgrade, enjoy it for a while and then add another component each time reaching ever greater heights. I get it.

But now as I wait for my next piece (customs) I am using a pair of Shure 310s, a big step down from the 530s I sold. On the other hand I do get an appreciation for the quality or lack of ...

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 24
I received my Rx a few days ago. Maybe it's just me but I am finding it lacking a little in dynamics. I was expecting a more forward sound from what I read. To me, another way to describe it would be smooth. I am thinking over time the sound will grow on me as it seems well balanced although with a slightly recessed midrange. So far paired with HF2, Pro 750, ESW9, and soon to be JH11.

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 24
@welchie,

I was just about to buy the mustang p51 after doing months of research until I heard about the Rx.  Now I feel like I'm back at square one.  Can you tell us what you liked better about the Rx over the p51? thanks

@mitsu763, when you say "smooth" you mean that it's kind of flat? not very fun?  

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
@welchie,

I was just about to buy the mustang p51 after doing months of research until I heard about the Rx.  Now I feel like I'm back at square one.  Can you tell us what you liked better about the Rx over the p51? thanks

@mitsu763, when you say "smooth" you mean that it's kind of flat? not very fun?  

Yes I am finding it a little flat but I think it pairs nicely with my HF2.

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 24
No I can't say "flat" at all. I'm hearing detail, openess, musicality, and as was described in a review, dynamics. Unfortunately I had to sell my P-51 to buy the Rx so I can't do an AB test. The P-51 is fantastic. I used it for a long time and a Hornet before it. If I had to list them as bassy and/or punchy I would go, Hornet, P-51, then Rx. In no way am I saying that the Rx lacks base. I believe it represents highs, mids, and lows equally and powerfully which creates the dynamics. I wanted the Rx, not just because of the good reviews, but for its form factor. I just got an iphone 3gs and wanted an amp that would lend to the phone's shape. I was worried about parting with the P-51, but am greatly relieved and excited with the Rx. It surpassed my expectations all the way around. If I had the money right now I would rebuy the P-51 or Shadow, and put in an order for the Pico Slim. It's getting great reviews as well.

Jun 24, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 24
I'm listening to the Rx with my ALO recabled HFi 780's. Wow! The sound stage, presence and power is exceptional. I can't remember getting as much from the P-51.

Jun 24, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
I'm listening to the Rx with my ALO recabled HFi 780's. Wow! The sound stage, presence and power is exceptional. I can't remember getting as much from the P-51.

X2. I've currently got my self modded 780s paired with an S:Flo2 and RX and the most noticeable improvement is in the soundstage, the area which I felt the 780s to be lacking in unamped.

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 24
Just received my Black Rx with Red End Plates.  It's very pretty.
:)

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #13 of 24
I've got the same ALO Rx, Black with Red end plates. Nice color combo to go with the nice sound coming out of this fine amp. Also just waiting for a pair of customs that are matching Red and black to go with the Rx and the Imodded Ipod.

Will post pics of the rig upon arrival of the customs

Aug 22, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #15 of 24
hi guys just wondered if anyone had problems with their rx, my luckes been really bad this month, im having to return my w3 because of a fault then i lost my ie8 few days back and now my rx has a fault as in it sounds all broken all the time like it does when the battery is just about to die when it has a few seconds power left in it. just wondered if anyone else has ever come across this. iv just sent ken an email so hope to get this sorted soon as i only got this end of april but the postage to sent this back from the u.k is gonna be a killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back