ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Sep 11, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #316 of 1,147
I just received my Clifté and Mullard tubes yesterday, and am listening to the PanAm w/Mullard tubes / Audeze LCD2 combo right now. I know it will take some burning in to get the tubes to reveal their beauty, so I am not going to pass judgement too soon.

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #317 of 1,147
  Best consult your Airline of choice. I plan on traveling with the PanAm too. Found this on Quantas website:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/dangerous-goods/global/en

You can email ALO about the ratings of the battery in the passport. :) I'm sure it has been mentioned here in the thread but I have been unable to pinpoint it. 

Thanks,

I am traveling via Qantas too. I checked the link and it is really helpful. The literature on the Passport Box says 11.2V 3000mAH/33.3WH which is below the 100Whr aircraft restriction. I also got an email from Ken saying that he has never heard of issues about bringing the passport in your carry-on. 

It would be best to bring the literature that came with the Passport and present it to the security personnel if asked.

Now, I won't be worrying about leaving the passport behind :)

Thank you

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #319 of 1,147

Thanks,

I am traveling via Qantas too. I checked the link and it is really helpful. The literature on the Passport Box says 11.2V 3000mAH/33.3WH which is below the 100Whr aircraft restriction. I also got an email from Ken saying that he has never heard of issues about bringing the passport in your carry-on. 

It would be best to bring the literature that came with the Passport and present it to the security personnel if asked.

Now, I won't be worrying about leaving the passport behind :)

Thank you

Yeah, I forgot to post that I was able to take the passport on a domestic flight. :) Only issue is, it's quite bulky if you are on in the economy section. The upside is, you get first-class audio. :)

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #320 of 1,147
Hi guys, just wondering if anybody has any issue with the DAC? I tried to plug in to my Mac, it can pick up the PanAm, but I can't seems to get it to work? I have got no sound and the master slider bar shows as fully 0...

Any advice? Other then this, it's beautiful!!!

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #321 of 1,147
Hi guys, just wondering if anybody has any issue with the DAC? I tried to plug in to my Mac, it can pick up the PanAm, but I can't seems to get it to work? I have got no sound and the master slider bar shows as fully 0...

Any advice? Other then this, it's beautiful!!!

Try switch on the back and choose correct source.

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #324 of 1,147
I just remembered i had the same issue using the pan am usb. Grab the usb and make sure it goes all in to the usb port on the mac. If it is a little loose, you wont get sound. Maybe give that a try?

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #326 of 1,147
Are you certain you selected the pan am as the output device? You could post a screenshot of the settings on the mac so that we can see. Sucks if it is faulty.

I just remembered i had the same issue using the pan am usb. Grab the usb and make sure it goes all in to the usb port on the mac. If it is a little loose, you wont get sound. Maybe give that a try?

Hi thanks for the info... I did make sure that I plug in all the way... 
I also tried another USB cable, just in case, but the master volume slider bar just did not allow me to slide it all the way... 

But I just love it too much now to send it back... TeeHeeHee... I just have to learn to live with using the iDAC with my laptop for now.

But thanks anyway, I just wondering if anybody has the same issue, or it seems it's just me... :)

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #328 of 1,147

Hi thanks for the info... I did make sure that I plug in all the way...
I also tried another USB cable, just in case, but the master volume slider bar just did not allow me to slide it all the way...

But I just love it too much now to send it back... TeeHeeHee... I just have to learn to live with using the iDAC with my laptop for now.

But thanks anyway, I just wondering if anybody has the same issue, or it seems it's just me... :)

Sorry, I've never tried using it as a DAC. I feed it line out from a DX100 and it sounds great.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #329 of 1,147
Hi everyone. New to the Pan Am, in fact have not yet received it. Ordered the Pan Am, Gateway and the additional 2 sets of tubes. I have a question that I can not seem to find a clear answer to on the ALO website. For portable I run  IPOD classic => Algorythm Solo=> Portaphile 627x. The algorythm of course takes the digital feed from the IPOD. It was my understanding that like the IPOD etc a specific device was necessary to pull the digital feed from a Macbook. Consequently unless the Pan Am has this technology built into it you can not pull the digital feed from the Macbook to the Pan Am's DAC. Is this correct?

I will likely run it from the Algorythm in any event as that would be the superior DAC. Just wondering if direct hook up with a Macbook would work in the digital realm.

Thanks   

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #330 of 1,147
Hi everyone. New to the Pan Am, in fact have not yet received it. Ordered the Pan Am, Gateway and the additional 2 sets of tubes. I have a question that I can not seem to find a clear answer to on the ALO website. For portable I run  IPOD classic => Algorythm Solo=> Portaphile 627x. The algorythm of course takes the digital feed from the IPOD. It was my understanding that like the IPOD etc a specific device was necessary to pull the digital feed from a Macbook. Consequently unless the Pan Am has this technology built into it you can not pull the digital feed from the Macbook to the Pan Am's DAC. Is this correct?

I will likely run it from the Algorythm in any event as that would be the superior DAC. Just wondering if direct hook up with a Macbook would work in the digital realm.

Thanks   

Yes of course. You just need to connect via the USB port to your MacBook. This will send digital signal to PanAm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back