ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Jun 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #271 of 1,147
I hope not. Otherwise it would be hard to rationalize buying the Passport for $200.

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #274 of 1,147
Hi Friends

Have anyone tried using a power USB hub to power the Pan Am? I am thinking of getting iUSB and using one power only out to power the Pan AM.
I have read that Pan Am will not power up with the USB port of a laptop or Mac hence the question.

Thx for reading!

Jul 21, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #275 of 1,147
Which tubes do you prefer with Beyerdynamic T1?
Also in case of T1 I think default tubes sound best. On second place I would place Mullard CV4010. Siemens tubes are not very good match and Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV are almost not listenable.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #276 of 1,147
@Dizzyd
The Pan Am needs to be plugged in, either with the provided wallwart, or with the optional Passport battery pack or Gateway power module. I have the ifi iUSB, but its only function is to limit cycle hum and clean usb power. It sounds like what you need is the Pan Am and the Passport battery pack. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #277 of 1,147
Thanks

Besides Gateway, does anymore bought a different make external PSU to match with Pan Am? Am thinking about the KingRex 12v PSU. 

Regards

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #278 of 1,147
In case anyone was wondering if the PanAm works with Android devices, I can confirm that it works with the Sony Tablet Z and Z phone at least. Sorry for the bad quality photo. This is straight from USB OTG>Pan Am USB Cable>Pan Am USB Input>LCD 2.2. The Walkman app plays FLAC files direct but I'm sure there will be other apps that can play FLAC.  

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #279 of 1,147
In case anyone was wondering if the PanAm works with Android devices, I can confirm that it works with the Sony Tablet Z and Z phone at least. Sorry for the bad quality photo. This is straight from USB OTG>Pan Am USB Cable>Pan Am USB Input>LCD 2.2. The Walkman app plays FLAC files direct but I'm sure there will be other apps that can play FLAC.  

I'm also using my Pan Am with my Samsung SIII as a portable in the house.

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #282 of 1,147
Yup on both counts. I saw in the USB android DACs thread that the Pan Am would function with the SIII with USB debugging on, but in my case, the DAC seems to be detected but no sound is produced and the track plays at a faster speed. I thought it should work since I thought that whatever worked on an SIII would work with the Note II. Maybe your SIII is using a different SOC and that's the cause of the difference? Is your SIII the Snapdragon variant? My Note II uses the Exynos.

As an aside, Twinster, what kind of battery life are you getting from your Anker Astro Pro with the Pan Am? I was thinking getting the Astro Pro2 since it costs roughly half what the passport costs? Also, any comments on the sound quality?

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #283 of 1,147
Yup on both counts. I saw in the USB android DACs thread that the Pan Am would function with the SIII with USB debugging on, but in my case, the DAC seems to be detected but no sound is produced and the track plays at a faster speed. I thought it should work since I thought that whatever worked on an SIII would work with the Note II. Maybe your SIII is using a different SOC and that's the cause of the difference? Is your SIII the Snapdragon variant? My Note II uses the Exynos.

As an aside, Twinster, what kind of battery life are you getting from your Anker Astro Pro with the Pan Am? I was thinking getting the Astro Pro2 since it costs roughly half what the passport costs? Also, any comments on the sound quality?

Mine is a Snapdragon version. Have you tried the Recorder pro application? I'm getting very good battery life tat I never ran out. I can go for at least 12 hours on one full charge. That is my guesstimate.

Sound quality is very good to my ears. I have 4 sets of various tubes and haven't try them all yet. I'm using the French tube now and like them. I still want to do a proper structure review but every time I start listening I just continue enjoying the music and forget the review notes.

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #284 of 1,147
Thanks Twinster. Tried UARP and it works. Too bad space is at too much of a premium for me to load my phone with hi-res files. Fortunately, I bought the Pan Am more as a transportable amp than as a DAC so it's not too disappointing. The Pan Am used as just an amp is certainly very far from disappointing.

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #285 of 1,147
Quote:
Thanks Twinster. Tried UARP and it works. Too bad space is at too much of a premium for me to load my phone with hi-res files. Fortunately, I bought the Pan Am more as a transportable amp than as a DAC so it's not too disappointing. The Pan Am used as just an amp is certainly very far from disappointing.

Glad it work for you. But I would have thought that the USB Debugging Mode have worked on the Note II. And yes the Pan Am is a great piece of Gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back