ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Aug 19, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #1,052 of 1,147
Can anyone tell me if the RTC 5654 tubes are the same as the Mullard CV4010? Tesla tubes has the RTC tubes listed as the Mullard CV4010.

Definitely not. Mullards CV4010 sounds warmer and bass fuller while RTC 5654 sounds thin in the bass department and is brighter.

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #1,053 of 1,147
I didn't think so but their listing is confusing. Does anyone know where I can find tubes for the Pan Am? I'm not finding the Mullards, Voskods or Telefunkens anywhere but Ebay and those listings seem a bit sketchy.

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #1,054 of 1,147
have you tried tubemuseum?

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #1,055 of 1,147
  I didn't think so but their listing is confusing. Does anyone know where I can find tubes for the Pan Am? I'm not finding the Mullards, Voskods or Telefunkens anywhere but Ebay and those listings seem a bit sketchy.

I had good satisfaction ordering Telefunkens from these folks:

LINK

I have ordered about 5 pairs of Teles from them and a bunch of other tubes as well. They ship out of HongKong - had one small issue where the wrong tubes were shipped - it was resolved speedily and professionally. Nothing but good things to say about them.

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #1,057 of 1,147
Just got a Pan Am & Passport combo. (Just joined the board also and this is the 1st post ...)

Have a question regarding set up of Passport: can I leave the '12v' of Passport connected to the wall wart all the time while the 'output' from Passport is connected to '12v' of Pan Am? Do you see this shortening battery life, or causing any negative effect to the sound quality? I am essentially trying to use Passport in lieu of Gateway.

Aug 24, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #1,059 of 1,147
  Just got a Pan Am & Passport combo. (Just joined the board also and this is the 1st post ...)

Have a question regarding set up of Passport: can I leave the '12v' of Passport connected to the wall wart all the time while the 'output' from Passport is connected to '12v' of Pan Am? Do you see this shortening battery life, or causing any negative effect to the sound quality? I am essentially trying to use Passport in lieu of Gateway.

Congrats. The Pan Am is a very good amp. 

I see no problem here, although I would advise you to do a full charge cycle at least once a month. Disconnect it from the wallwart and use until fully out or close to out of juice. Not doing so shortens the lifespan of the batteries in the passport. Especially avoid not using the passport and leaving it to discharge on its own for long periods of time. 

My own passport has, sadly, gone to that great meet in the sky. At least I still have the gateway. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,060 of 1,147
Thanks for the replies. That makes me feel better keeping the configuration.

Quote:

However, I have a special favor to ask somebody. The seller of Pan Am/Passport had only the short connecting cable for the power connection between them. In order to connect two in the way mentioned above (Passport 'output' to Pan Am '12v') with the short cable, I cannot stack them up. They must be placed side-by-side. I would need one of the longer cables of the same. I know both Gateway and Passport come with a set of three cables with varying lengths, each. For those of you who have both Gateway and Passport, you probably have some of these cables unused. Would anyone sell or gift me the longer cable? I will probably need the longest one of three to be able to stack up these (which I prefer to do). Please PM me. Thanks.

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #1,061 of 1,147

However, I have a special favor to ask somebody. The seller of Pan Am/Passport had only the short connecting cable for the power connection between them. In order to connect two in the way mentioned above (Passport 'output' to Pan Am '12v') with the short cable, I cannot stack them up. They must be placed side-by-side. I would need one of the longer cables of the same. I know both Gateway and Passport come with a set of three cables with varying lengths, each. For those of you who have both Gateway and Passport, you probably have some of these cables unused. Would anyone sell or gift me the longer cable? I will probably need the longest one of three to be able to stack up these (which I prefer to do). Please PM me. Thanks.

I am good. A kind member of the board is sending me a longer cable. Thanks.

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #1,062 of 1,147
Really enjoying the TungSol tubes in my PanAm. Only about 20 hours on them right now, so still not fully burned in, but some initial impressions are that the mids and treble are good, but not quite as good as the Teles, but the bass is wonderful. As deep as the Mullards without going "wooly" - which the Mullards tend to do.

Very good tubes. If the mids and treble continue to improve these tubes might just be right up there with the Teles.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,063 of 1,147
  Really enjoying the TungSol tubes in my PanAm. Only about 20 hours on them right now, so still not fully burned in, but some initial impressions are that the mids and treble are good, but not quite as good as the Teles, but the bass is wonderful. As deep as the Mullards without going "wooly" - which the Mullards tend to do.

Very good tubes. If the mids and treble continue to improve these tubes might just be right up there with the Teles.

What year is your tungsol made and do you mind posting picture with box? :)

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #1,065 of 1,147

Sure. No date that I can see on the box or tube - I really have no idea on the year of manufacture.

Thanks! So this is more bassy than teles? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back