ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Feb 11, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #961 of 1,147
Sorry It's gone, no more Telefunkens for the moment

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #963 of 1,147
My order has been accepted, so I think I am golden.

Thank you again for sharing this on HeadFi - much appreciated. The PanAm with Telefunkens is quite special.

You're welcome, I agree those tubes are my best set so far

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #965 of 1,147
Anyone here tried using the Jan Ge5654 tubes on pan am? I ordered a pair and is curious what to expect in its sound.

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #966 of 1,147
  Got some Mullards recently. Good stuff. Need to listen more but initital impressions more solid state and less tubey magic midrange sounding than my RTC tubes, Mullard soundstage is niiiiice. Pairing with HE-500 probably better than with the RTC tubes. But LCD-2 and XC are my main headphones for Pan Am and currently Mullards vs RTC is a matter of sound preference. Life is good =)

Update 2 months later. The Hifiman HE-500 with Mullards is really something. Brings the HE-500 to life unlike any of my other amps. ALO would be crazy not to launch a new version of the Pan Am.

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #967 of 1,147
:beerchug:

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #968 of 1,147

Update 2 months later. The Hifiman HE-500 with Mullards is really something. Brings the HE-500 to life unlike any of my other amps. ALO would be crazy not to launch a new version of the Pan Am.

If you like the Mullards, I can recommend the Telefunkens. Not easy to find, or cheap, but excellent tubes. Extension top and bottom + detail + lovely warm sound - the Telefunkens do just about everything very well.

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #969 of 1,147
If you like the Mullards, I can recommend the Telefunkens. Not easy to find, or cheap, but excellent tubes. Extension top and bottom + detail + lovely warm sound - the Telefunkens do just about everything very well.

You have received your 2 pair of Telefunken ? Same as your previous ones ?

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #970 of 1,147
You have received your 2 pair of Telefunken ? Same as your previous ones ?

Had a bit of a mix up and I was sent the wrong tubes. The seller was very cool about it and will send me 3 Telefunken EF95s once the the 2 incorrect tubes I have posted back reach them.

These things happen - it's all about how the seller deals with it when it does. These guys have been great.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #971 of 1,147
It's a spare set of tubes but frustrating when it happens to you :mad:

3 tubes ? one for free in case... :D

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #972 of 1,147

Thanks. I am considering them as well. Which headphones would the Telefunkens work well with you think?

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #974 of 1,147
It's a spare set of tubes but frustrating when it happens to you
mad.gif

3 tubes ? one for free in case...
biggrin.gif

Yeah - I wasn't expecting anything extra - great customer service, really.

Mar 12, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #975 of 1,147
I got a pair of telefunken tube a while ago and I use it with LCD-2 rev 2. The result is airy sound and quite large soundstage. However, it is a bit boring and lack toe tapping factor for my taste. So I'm not using it a lot, instead, I'm rotating mullard, rtc and voskhod.
Yesterday, I tried the telefunken to power my HD800 (low serial number if it is matter and no mod). To my surprise, the sound is just perfect. No harshness in the treble, mid is great, bass is impactful, detail retrieval is great, while maintaining the airy nature. Soundstage and layering is as usual for HD800, great. 
The tube is not really easy to get and a bit more expensive than the others, but it is worth it for HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back