ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Jun 17, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #631 of 1,147
Yeap, going to order from tubes.tw/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=14&products_id=521 , they are back in business!

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #632 of 1,147
Got my Voshkods from the Ukraine off EBay in a matched quad. I was thinking I could sell the other pair and pass on the savings, but nobody seems interested so I guess I've got myself a backup pair.

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #635 of 1,147
I asked to have a quick comparison with Mullards or Voskhod
Still interested to know their strong points
but since I'm in love with the sound I get with the Russian tubes, I didn't bother

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #636 of 1,147
In case anyone wondered, Pan Am pairs very well with NAD PP2 2i. Just listening to some records :)

Also it did pair very well with my EQ. Is there anything that Pan Am would not pair well?

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #637 of 1,147
In case anyone wondered, Pan Am pairs very well with NAD PP2 2i. Just listening to some records
smily_headphones1.gif

Also it did pair very well with my EQ. Is there anything that Pan Am would not pair well?

I had demo the HD800 couple of times with the Pan Am. Though it sounds good but its not spectacular unlike the pairing with the LCD-2. Pan Am is not able to tame the highs of the HD 800.

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #638 of 1,147

+1.  You should try a pair. They are a great complement/counterpoint to the brighter Russian tubes.

I couldn't agree more. A few weeks back I visited a local audiophile shop in Vancouver and tested some headphones out on a PanAm. I didn't like the sound. I A/B'd with my headphones (Heir 8.A) and my headphones sounded weak too!... The odd thing was that the PanAm is my main amp at home. Then I realized they were using stock tubes in the store's PanAm. The difference is huge. The Mullards add a tremendous depth to the bass in comparison to the stock tubes.  

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #640 of 1,147
I had demo the HD800 couple of times with the Pan Am. Though it sounds good but its not spectacular unlike the pairing with the LCD-2. Pan Am is not able to tame the highs of the HD 800.

It might be true, as I read everywhere on head-fi that HD800 are bright-ish. I don't have HD800 (yet..or ever..dunno), however I can say I can feel the difference in sound signature between different tubes. I tried three types, and with my latest choice (Sylvania) Pan Am sounds very strong in HF range, so HD800 would probably lack body if used without EQ. But If you switched to Mullards, then maybe situation would change? They are much darker and they sound very forward. I think best match for Mullards could be some Grados or AKG. But for HD800, I dunno... I would probably stay with Sylvania and EQ in S/W maybe...

What do you think? Maybe there is some other tube (that I haven't tried yet) that would make HD800 sing?

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #641 of 1,147
It might be true, as I read everywhere on head-fi that HD800 are bright-ish. I don't have HD800 (yet..or ever..dunno), however I can say I can feel the difference in sound signature between different tubes. I tried three types, and with my latest choice (Sylvania) Pan Am sounds very strong in HF range, so HD800 would probably lack body if used without EQ. But If you switched to Mullards, then maybe situation would change? They are much darker and they sound very forward. I think best match for Mullards could be some Grados or AKG. But for HD800, I dunno... I would probably stay with Sylvania and EQ in S/W maybe...

What do you think? Maybe there is some other tube (that I haven't tried yet) that would make HD800 sing?

I used RTC 5654, Mullards CV4010 and Siemens when I had demo the HD800. The siemens a bit smooth in highs but they are still there and lacks dynamics and bass. The RTC is a little too bright for the HD800. The Mullards although warmer than the two, the highs are still edgy. What surprised me also is that even though Mullards has less treble than the Siemens, I find that Siemens is more pleasant with HD 800 and Mullards will be more fatiguing to listen to.

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #642 of 1,147
PanAm match better with LCD-3 or LCD-X? This PanAm will be my 1st tube amp to go with my 1st Audeze. It's really hard to make choices for this hobby. Anyone can give some recommendation?

I have both, and they are each excellent with the Pan Am. The LCD-3 is, characteristically, slightly warmer in sound signature, but the difference is subtle.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #645 of 1,147
I'm using Vali+Modi with MS2is now. however, I will receive LCD2.2 soon. I like a tiny DAC/AMP as I always move from one place to another place. Is it worth upgrading to Pan am+Gateway? There is a discount on Alo website. 

My original thought is that I would go for LYR2+Bifrost. But if Panam+Gateway can give me the better performance, I will go of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back