ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Apr 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #541 of 1,147
just got my pan am about two months ago.  really enjoy the sound, but occasionally the usb will produce a really bad static, with the only solution being restarting my MacBook Pro.  Anyone else having issues like this?  it has happened with multiple tubes, so it is not just tube noise.  much too loud to be mistaken for that anyways.

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #542 of 1,147
  just got my pan am about two months ago.  really enjoy the sound, but occasionally the usb will produce a really bad static, with the only solution being restarting my MacBook Pro.  Anyone else having issues like this?  it has happened with multiple tubes, so it is not just tube noise.  much too loud to be mistaken for that anyways.

Never had that happened on my Mac Mini. What other devices do you have on USB bus?

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #544 of 1,147

Do you have the tube caps over the tubes? For my setup--sensitive IEMs--the tube caps are essential for limiting interference. I've added an iFi iPower unit as well, and while I get very little interference now, I do still occasionally have to reposition the PanAm due to some sort of interference. Another thing that helps is putting the PanAm on a cloth or some sort of soft surface; the tubes picks up resonances from anything in contact with the unit. 

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #545 of 1,147
  Do you have the tube caps over the tubes? For my setup--sensitive IEMs--the tube caps are essential for limiting interference. I've added an iFi iPower unit as well, and while I get very little interference now, I do still occasionally have to reposition the PanAm due to some sort of interference. Another thing that helps is putting the PanAm on a cloth or some sort of soft surface; the tubes picks up resonances from anything in contact with the unit. 

yep, have the caps on.  the last time it happened, i used the midi on the macbook to switch the output to the computer speakers to listen to something without using the headphones.  when i switched it back to the pan am, the static was overwhelming.  then i restarted my computer and the static was gone.  weird.

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #547 of 1,147
  yep, have the caps on.  the last time it happened, i used the midi on the macbook to switch the output to the computer speakers to listen to something without using the headphones.  when i switched it back to the pan am, the static was overwhelming.  then i restarted my computer and the static was gone.  weird.

Slight buzzing sound? Starts off like a tiiiiiny nnnzzzzzzttttt, then progresses and gets louder? Had that before.

If yes, that could mean: 

a.) There are too many programs running at the same time
b.) You are using the ALO Pan Am Cable (I find I hear occasional static when I use this on a MAC, but not on Windows. Weird, I know.)
c.) Your MAC just came out of sleep mode

In which case:

a.) More RAM or run less apps concurrently
b.) Use a different USB Cable. 
b.) Just restart when this happens. 

YMMV. 
Just my 2-cents. 
Etc., etc.

beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #548 of 1,147
Sylvania arrived! Wow! What the sound!

I made "wow!" when I got Mullards. But now I'm saying "wow!" again! Sylvania sounds not from this world. Will I ever "wow!" again?

Quick comparison:
Stock tubes:
- more energy efficient (day)
- sound doesn't get distorted at higher volumes
- they lack power
- bass is weak
- mids are good, but not astonishing

Mullards:
- consume more power (6-7 hours)
- sound gets distorted easily at higher volumes (especially at low end)
- they have plenty of power
- bass is powerful (literally you need to be careful, at loud volumes high pressure of bass at very low end may cause pain)
- mids are wide open, i.e. rock music and vocals shine like super nova

Sylvania:
- consume enormous amount of power (after 3 hours Passport was gone) (*)
- haven't heard any distortion so far - probably because they consume enormous amount of power
- bass goes very low and it's very tight and very powerful
- mids are perfect, i.e. not as exaggerated as on Mullards, but they reveal subtle details of the music
- now I know the reason why Gateway exists... :D

Remember, YMMV :)

(*) Sylvania might need a bit of burn-in to become more efficient. On the second day I was able to run from Passport for 6-7 hours at 1/3 volume with them.

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #552 of 1,147
I ran on Sylvania today for 6-7 hours and Passport still isn't empty. Might be that yesterday it was first time these tubes were used since they left factory in 1942, and little burn-in was required. I was running at 1/3 volume though. I also noticed little bit more of high treble (>10k), and maybe small distortion in that spectrum range when played at really loud (unhealthy) volume.

Bottom line is I do love Sylvania with Trance music, and I am not planning to switch them back with Mulalrds (at least not very often), but if I was big fan of Metal I would probably stay with Mullards. Classical music (e.g. Sibelius Violin Concerto) sounds really superb. The detail of violin makes that feel of presence. It's a brilliant tube. A must have IMHO.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #553 of 1,147

I have noticed this with my 2011 MPB with the regular platter HDD. Then I switched over to the 2013 MBP with SSD and the noise was gone, or so I though....Then I started noticing some static again, thinking, the new MBP's have no moving parts, no spinning hard drives. There shouldn't be any noise. Believe it or not, the tubes are so sensitive, it can detect the electrical current running through the laptop. touch one of the tubes, and I swear, I can hear the static following the sound of my heartbeat. (Or probably because my pulse makes my finger twitch)

Anyways, the tube caps help reduce interference and static. Try and move the PanAm away from any electrical, mechanical or moving objects. and I agree with GarySaville, a soft cloth or a piece of foam under the PanAm can help isolate the tubes from any vibrations.

....Side note, this is my first post since 2013. :) Happy new year guys, its good to be back. :)

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #554 of 1,147
I have noticed this with my 2011 MPB with the regular platter HDD. Then I switched over to the 2013 MBP with SSD and the noise was gone, or so I though....Then I started noticing some static again, thinking, the new MBP's have no moving parts, no spinning hard drives. There shouldn't be any noise. Believe it or not, the tubes are so sensitive, it can detect the electrical current running through the laptop. touch one of the tubes, and I swear, I can hear the static following the sound of my heartbeat. (Or probably because my pulse makes my finger twitch)

Anyways, the tube caps help reduce interference and static. Try and move the PanAm away from any electrical, mechanical or moving objects. and I agree with GarySaville, a soft cloth or a piece of foam under the PanAm can help isolate the tubes from any vibrations.

....Side note, this is my first post since 2013. :) Happy new year guys, its good to be back. :)

Thanks for the response. I've tried to replicate the issue with both my 2009 MacBook Pro and a 2013 MacBook Air, but haven't been able. Perhaps it was just a ghost in the machine.

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #555 of 1,147
Anyone here is using clas db/theorems with pan am? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back