ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Mar 31, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #526 of 1,147
I did notice the difference, but I think it's just because pot is at different position to get same volume level. As I understand the gain setting is not the same as pot, and it is located in feedback loop, while pot is either on the input or output. At low gain setting you should get better SQ as the feedback is reduced. Also with low gain you can put pot almost to the end, and thus signal path through the pot is shorter. Ideally at 100% path is 0, and you get best SQ, but you can also end up being deaf. If your volume is below 50% then I don't think there is any difference between low and high in SQ.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #528 of 1,147
  Just received a new Pan Am and LCD-XC combo (~100 hours time on each so far), and was wondering if anyone else hears differences playing with the gain switch in terms of sonic signature?

I tried it just now and it seemed like there were some subtle differences. The high-gain position seems to have relatively more bass/treble and recessed mids in comparison to the low-gain position, but all of this gear is so new to me that I'm not sure if it's just psychoacoustics.

With the switch in low-gain, normal listening levels are around 9-10 o'clock. With the switch in high-gain, normal listening levels in the 8-9 o'clock range. So level matching is almost impossible to do for relevant A/B testing.

For reference, the LCD-XC is supposed to be a 22 ohm resistive load.

Having a high gain setting for me just makes the sound stage seem smaller. In a way, to me it sounds like the singer/instruments are brought closer to you at the same volume so everything just becomes super loud and closer to your ear. It goes beyond just the volume of the music because even at lower volumes with the high gain setting, the sound just gets too "loud" and the music becomes noise. There is no noise but the music isn't exactly music anymore. Of course this is from my own observations with the Pan Am + Passport + LCD 2. 

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #529 of 1,147
hmm... i just can't find a tube... be it source or not sure which is the correct one... will anybody please point be to a direct source to buy the mullard tube please? 

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #530 of 1,147
  hmm... i just can't find a tube... be it source or not sure which is the correct one... will anybody please point be to a direct source to buy the mullard tube please? 

someone posted before on this thread.
http://tubes.tw/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=14&products_id=521
they are on a break till late june. you can't buy till then. if you want to try it feel free to drop me a PM :)

edit: oh wait that someone is me :p

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #531 of 1,147
Just to share my setup. yeah i know it looks hideous :D

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #532 of 1,147
Apr 2, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #534 of 1,147
Hmm u replacing the passport with that battery?

Anyway, What carrying case u use to transport PanAm?

yes. its only a quarter of the cost of passport.
i bought it for fun, no intent of using the pan am outdoors.
using it as a portable charger for my gadgets.

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #535 of 1,147
Apr 3, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #536 of 1,147
Apr 3, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #537 of 1,147
I sent a message to ALO asking if they felt the Pan Am would drive my Q701's, they felt it would & recommended the French tubes. I don't know if that is their blanket statement overall with this amp or just with my AKG's.

Hmm I am curious with its sound characteristic. Will you order those french tubes? :)

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #538 of 1,147
I would also like to know if the Pan Am can drive my K701 well. I'm currently using a Bravo Ocean which is also a hybrid amp with NOS RCA 12au7. Will upgrading to the Pan Am be a dramatic improvement? 

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #539 of 1,147
  I would also like to know if the Pan Am can drive my K701 well. I'm currently using a Bravo Ocean which is also a hybrid amp with NOS RCA 12au7. Will upgrading to the Pan Am be a dramatic improvement? 

I have K702, and the Pan Am drives them fine. I also used to have Bravo, the Pan Am is in a entirely different league.

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #540 of 1,147
Thanks! The Bravo sounds good with my K701. But the build quality of the damned thing is so poor. The 1/4" jack loses the right channel so I have to use the 1/8" one. The RCA line in also does not work. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Good to hear that the Pan Am is in another league. I also love the idea of it being transportable using the passport. Well, time to save up I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back