ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Mar 1, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #481 of 1,147

What power cord is that?
My Passport came with a wall wart to recharge it. And then I connect the Passport to the PanAm using one of the connecting cables provided (3 different sizes).

i tried using the power cord that came in the accessory box and those power cord that is use to connect the wall socket to the computer power supply unit

can those be used?

also, why do u get the passport instead of the gateway?

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #482 of 1,147
I also hear that when I connect Pan Am to my laptop. I think hear it only on more sensitive headphones like CX300II and RH-A30. I don't remember hearing it on Alpha Dogs or HD570.

are u connecting to the wall socket directly or through the passport/gateway?

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #484 of 1,147

i tried using the power cord that came in the accessory box and those power cord that is use to connect the wall socket to the computer power supply unit

can those be used?

also, why do u get the passport instead of the gateway?

If you are using the power cord that came with it, there's no reason you shouldn't.

I got the Passport for a little portability, since it is an external battery.
I understand you have the Passport too. If you use the Passport instead of the power cord to power the PanAm you don't have any kind of noise, do you?

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #485 of 1,147

yea. got the dx 50 casing from u, remember? lol...

anyway, where do u get the mullard tube?

http://tubes.tw/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=14&products_id=521
but they are closed till june

try keeping the tube covers on and use stereo input instead of usb, see if it helps

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #487 of 1,147

If you are using the power cord that came with it, there's no reason you shouldn't.

I got the Passport for a little portability, since it is an external battery.
I understand you have the Passport too. If you use the Passport instead of the power cord to power the PanAm you don't have any kind of noise, do you?

Guys, i found the root of the problem! 

It is my wifi adapter interfering with the tube!

after removing the adapter, it is completely quiet!

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #488 of 1,147
Guys, is it safe to leave the tube cover on when the unit powered on?

I was using Pan Am this way for few months and nothing bad happened. I think these tube covers shield from EMI, but I think they shorten life of tubes. I found Mullards started distorting sound after some time. I think the heat might heave affected them.

I got Mullarrds from British ebay.

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #489 of 1,147
are u connecting to the wall socket directly or through the passport/gateway?

I just checked with and without wall-wart. I heard nothing on Mullards, and on stock tubes I heard hum when Pan Am got input from unconnected RCAs and I touched Pan Ams chassis with my finger. I'm pretty sure I have heard some interference from laptop some time ago, but I can't hear it now.

Try Mullards, and see if that helps :) You can get them on ebay.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #490 of 1,147
Just did short listen of my friend's new pan am with his hd650. Wow it was surprisingly good and better than I would have thought. I like it better than with my lcdx with the pan am.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #492 of 1,147
Guys, is the sound quality better using the passport instead of the gateway?

From my experience, no. The quality is the same. However, if you have issues with wiring in your house - for example, turning on a light would cause audible hum in your PanAm - then you are better off using the Passport to isolate your amp. If you have no wiring issues, the quality will be the same to these ears of mine at least. 

I do notice that the tubes and the amp run a little bit warmer when on the Gateway. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #493 of 1,147
Some reviews say Pan Am from Passport has exceptionally black background, while from Gateway it's only almost black. If you connect Gateway through Passport (like it's suggested), then you would probably get same black background, but if you run straight from Gateway it might not be the case. I can't say my-self about Gateway, since I don't have one, but when I connect wall-wart to Passport I don't hear any change. I never tried to run Pan Am straight from wall-wart. I think the benefit of having Gateway is that it probably is more efficient than wall-wart, so you would pay less for electricity you consume to charge Passport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back