ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Dec 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #406 of 1,147
some notes on a few tubes (I only got a few hours each on these):

-I got these tubes labeled AEG, but the seller says it's Telefunken. I guess they must be real cause they are awesome. great general all round tube, highlights are the soundstage and the treble. If you get more than 1 set of tubes, these should be on your list

- JAN Phillips and JAN GE, in a brief audition, they sound similar, and for a less tubey sound, these are great general tubes. Nice contrast to the tubey Mullards.

- Raytheon, great vocals, I really didnt like these otherwise.

-I also got some no label GE 6AK5 tubes from a local electronics stores. they sounded crazy (bad) and when I tried to remove them from the amp, my fingers were slightly burned...

other than that, I'm still awaiting the Russians, Sylvania, and Tung sol. Unless they are spectacular, I think thats about all im going to say about this. happy rolling...

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #407 of 1,147
just got these Sylvania JAN tubes in, burned them in for a few hours, and been listening for a little while. Very sweet sounding without being slow, very punchy bass (I hate heavy bass but these are great). Great for rock music. Definitely in my top three. Highly recommended. I just failed to get more from the same seller, there are only a few options left on ebay, best of luck.

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #408 of 1,147
I am teetering between the battery and AC psu.  I read the consensus is the battery psu sounds better.

Just wondering two things:

1) For those with the Gateway, any experience "rolling" power cords? 

2) Any one thought about upgrading PSU with third party alternative such as Paul Hynes or whoever else made psu such as from those vendors who offered "wall wart killers" for Squeezebox?

I am just trying to get the best sound quality but want to avoid the battery.

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #409 of 1,147
The battery serves as extremely huge capacitor, so you can plug charger to it, and any noise from it won't get through battery to amp. I know that it is not 100% true, but I haven't heard much difference between w/ and w/o charger, so maybe like 99% true? I've read review where guy was saying that Pan Am sounds great with Gateway, but he then said when he switched to Passport sound became even better.

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #410 of 1,147
The battery serves as extremely huge capacitor, so you can plug charger to it, and any noise from it won't get through battery to amp. I know that it is not 100% true, but I haven't heard much difference between w/ and w/o charger, so maybe like 99% true? I've read review where guy was saying that Pan Am sounds great with Gateway, but he then said when he switched to Passport sound became even better.

I am just wondering whether people are comparing their gateways with (regular ole) PC power cord plugged into the gateway's iec inlet when comparing it to passport. 

Well, I pulled the trigger on the pan am with gateway.  I won't have a passport to compare with though.

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #411 of 1,147
Hi guys! Did anyone of you tried connecting gateway into passport and if you did is there any improvement in sound? Thanks in advance :)

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #412 of 1,147
  Hi guys! Did anyone of you tried connecting gateway into passport and if you did is there any improvement in sound? Thanks in advance :)

Personally I detected no change whatsoever. If you plug the Gateway-->Passport-->PanAm, it is exactly like plugging Wallwart-->passport-->PanAm. The PanAm is essentially still running out of the Passport. 

The main difference - where it is sonically relevant - is wallwart-->PanAm vs Gateway-->PanAm. The Gateway definitely is a step up over the wallwart. You get a blacker background, no hum (i hear a slight hum with the wallwart), an an overall more lively sq. 

I hear no difference when using either Passport or Gateway as the power source. Of course others may have a different experience. I think the case for buying the Gateway will be if you:

1. Want to run the PanAm for more than a few hours at a time
2. Use the PanAm as a predominantly desktop-based amp
3. Extend the life of your Passport by using the Gateway as much as possible

BTW, the three stack looks uber cool. 
biggrin.gif
 Hope this helps. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #413 of 1,147
Personally I detected no change whatsoever. If you plug the Gateway-->Passport-->PanAm, it is exactly like plugging Wallwart-->passport-->PanAm. The PanAm is essentially still running out of the Passport. 

The main difference - where it is sonically relevant - is wallwart-->PanAm vs Gateway-->PanAm. The Gateway definitely is a step up over the wallwart. You get a blacker background, no hum (i hear a slight hum with the wallwart), an an overall more lively sq. 

I hear no difference when using either Passport or Gateway as the power source. Of course others may have a different experience. I think the case for buying the Gateway will be if you:

BTW, the three stack looks uber cool. :D  Hope this helps. 

I use the Passport, and if it runs low, it is no problem continuing to listen with the Wallwart plugged into the Passport. I don't detect any difference in sound.

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #414 of 1,147
I use the Passport, and if it runs low, it is no problem continuing to listen with the Wallwart plugged into the Passport. I don't detect any difference in sound.

Yeah same. I only hear a difference when plugging the wallwart straight to the PanAm. To qualify that, I can only hear the slight hum on IEMs and the T1. I cannot hear it on planars. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #415 of 1,147

biggrin.gif
 Hope this helps. 

biggrin.gif
 Hope this helps. 

I see... Thank you very much sir this had helped me save my wallet :))

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #416 of 1,147

Thanks for the input sir! :)

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #417 of 1,147
For those with gateways, you hear any difference with different powercords?

Also, how many of you are bypassing the internal dac?  Just wondering what your experiences are. what dac you are using instead, and what the improvements are over the internal dac. 

I've been thinking about upgrading my dac but wonder whether it's necessary.  Cuinas and Young looks good.  Cuinas seems to be the flavor of the year though.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #418 of 1,147
  For those with gateways, you hear any difference with different powercords?

Also, how many of you are bypassing the internal dac?  Just wondering what your experiences are. what dac you are using instead, and what the improvements are over the internal dac. 

I've been thinking about upgrading my dac but wonder whether it's necessary.  Cuinas and Young looks good.  Cuinas seems to be the flavor of the year though.

I am also interested in this as well. I have been planning on getting CLAS DB sa DAC but not sure if it is worth upgrading

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #419 of 1,147
Btw just want to ask guys here with experience on both beyer t1 and senn hd800 with the pan am, do pan am able to tame treble of those cans? :)

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #420 of 1,147
  Btw just want to ask guys here with experience on both beyer t1 and senn hd800 with the pan am, do pan am able to tame treble of those cans? :)

+1 on this, just about to ask the same thing. How does the Pan Am compares to say, Graham Slee Solo SRG-II on driving HD800 / T1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back