ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Dec 14, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #391 of 1,147
The voshkods did, a little bit. The T1 also sufferred a bit of loss in detail and soundstage, but as it has lots of that already, losing a bit on a mobile setup is not a bad compromise.

I don't really mind a bit of sibilance. It does not bother me with majority of the music I listen to. If I encounter bothersome levels of sibilance in the vocals of, say a female vocalist, I just grab the HE500. Best damn can for vocals that I've heard. :)

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #392 of 1,147
just got a bunch of tubes in today, just like to reiterate that the mullards are really nice (without burn in). out of the 3 tubes I've tried: stock, siemens and these mullards. Mullards are definitely my fav.

the siemens took a loooong time to burn in. In order to make sure that it wasnt my brain that was burned in, I checked at 0 hr, 1, 2, 5, 10, 20+. and it wasnt until the last check that I was comfortable with the tubes. But they are an upgrade over stock tubes.

this is a fun toy.

Dec 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #393 of 1,147
just got a bunch of tubes in today, just like to reiterate that the mullards are really nice (without burn in). out of the 3 tubes I've tried: stock, siemens and these mullards. Mullards are definitely my fav.

the siemens took a loooong time to burn in. In order to make sure that it wasnt my brain that was burned in, I checked at 0 hr, 1, 2, 5, 10, 20+. and it wasnt until the last check that I was comfortable with the tubes. But they are an upgrade over stock tubes.

this is a fun toy.

Which model of Mullards exactly?

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #394 of 1,147
I have a question. Since DAC in Pan Am is rather average at least when compared to my NAD, I would like to find some DAC that would be about the size of Pan Am, and possibly not more expensive, but way more detailed and way more analog, because DAC in Pan Am sounds digital to me. I was thinking about either Dragonfly or one of the HRT streamers, but to be honest I wouldn't know which to choose. Basically I'm looking for something less than $500. Also would be cool if it was powered from battery, and even better if it could be powered from Passport - Is that possible? So I'm waiting for your suggestions guys.

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #395 of 1,147
Which model of Mullards exactly?

the box they came in is blank, how can I tell? thanks!! (still buying tubes even though I'm going to get another tube amp, never getting rid of this toy)

I have a question. Since DAC in Pan Am is rather average at least when compared to my NAD, I would like to find some DAC that would be about the size of Pan Am, and possibly not more expensive, but way more detailed and way more analog, because DAC in Pan Am sounds digital to me. I was thinking about either Dragonfly or one of the HRT streamers, but to be honest I wouldn't know which to choose. Basically I'm looking for something less than $500. Also would be cool if it was powered from battery, and even better if it could be powered from Passport - Is that possible? So I'm waiting for your suggestions guys.

I am not a DAC expert (I didnt even try the DAC in Pan Am), but if you want something portable, at around 350 there is the Resonessence Herus. I really enjoy using that DAC and it is a clear upgrade over the Dragonfly, plus other than 384, it plays all the bit rate including DSD. But that is a really competitive category and I'm in no position to recommend any products because I simply have not sample a large enough range of products at this category to comment. This DAC can be used from an iphone or ipad through the CCK though I dont recommend it due to the fact that it drains my iphone 5's battery at a rate of 1% every 3 minutes or so. This is not really a recommendation, but if you want to consider this product, go check out the Herus thread.

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #397 of 1,147
I first hear about Herus:) Since you use it how would you describe it's sound?

describing the sound of a DAC is a challenge for me. So all I can do is offer some comparisons. The most neutral DACs I've heard are the Fostex DACs: HP-A8 and HP-P1, compare to them, I would say the Herus have a slight touch of warmth to it. In my brief time comparing my Dragonfly to the Herus, the Herus is more detailed and "comfortable" (I get tired listening to the Dragonfly after a while). The main DAC that I use is a Concero HD, and the Herus sound really similar to that (I'm guessing that's the Resonessence house tuning). All I can say is, if you are considering this DAC, go through the Invicta, Concero and Herus thread, you'll get an idea of the Resonessence house sound and how people feel about it. If you want more info, Innerfidelity did put this product on its holiday gift guide, and you can always ask the writer (project86 on this forum) how he feels about the DAC.

Again, not a recommendation, I'm totally not qualified.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #398 of 1,147
Currently enjoying the PanAm with the T1 here at work. Makes working a Saturday shift bearable. 

I've also taken the plunge for a Centrance HiFi M8. They have a crazy 30% discount on all products at the moment. Check out their Facebook page for details. Going to make a comparison between M8 and PanAm once received. Won't be until next year though. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #399 of 1,147
describing the sound of a DAC is a challenge for me. So all I can do is offer some comparisons. The most neutral DACs I've heard are the Fostex DACs: HP-A8 and HP-P1, compare to them, I would say the Herus have a slight touch of warmth to it. In my brief time comparing my Dragonfly to the Herus, the Herus is more detailed and "comfortable" (I get tired listening to the Dragonfly after a while). The main DAC that I use is a Concero HD, and the Herus sound really similar to that (I'm guessing that's the Resonessence house tuning). All I can say is, if you are considering this DAC, go through the Invicta, Concero and Herus thread, you'll get an idea of the Resonessence house sound and how people feel about it. If you want more info, Innerfidelity did put this product on its holiday gift guide, and you can always ask the writer (project86 on this forum) how he feels about the DAC.

Again, not a recommendation, I'm totally not qualified.

Yeah, I was thinking about Concero HD a while ago. The website says it uses Sabre DAC :) Did you try it with Pan Am? If so how would you describe what you hear?

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #401 of 1,147
I've got the Pan Am working with all my iDevices now.  Pretty neat transportable setup to take with me on the road (once my passport arrives).  Now I don't even really need to bring my laptop if I can smartly add the right selection of tracks prior to departure.  

iPad/iPhone -> Lightning CCK -> SIIG 4 port USB Hub -> Pan Am DAC -> Alessandro MS1 / Etymotic HF3

After burning in over a day, the stock tubes have settled nicely (no more pain on cymbals or "s" or "ch" vocals).  Really enjoying all of my music again!

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #402 of 1,147

Once I find a set that I like, should I buy a bunch and hoard them?  Or are you feeling comfortable that you'll be able to replace them when needed every few years through the wonders of the internet?  Mullards should arrive here early in the new year.

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #403 of 1,147
Once I find a set that I like, should I buy a bunch and hoard them?  Or are you feeling comfortable that you'll be able to replace them when needed every few years through the wonders of the internet?  Mullards should arrive here early in the new year.

I bought a bunch of the Mullards and hoarded them :)

It's not like they will go bad or anything, and the pricing was good.

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #404 of 1,147
 Yeah, I was thinking about Concero HD a while ago. The website says it uses Sabre DAC
smily_headphones1.gif
Did you try it with Pan Am? If so how would you describe what you hear?

Most of the time, I use the Pan Am with my HP-P1 for convenience, but whenever I hook it up to the Concero HD with my ATH-3000anv headphone, I feel like I'm in heaven (I have other amps, an HP-A8 and a Pico slim, I love them and they are both technically superior to the Pan Am, but for the last while, all I've been doing is using the Pan Am). Keep in mind, I think taste is personal, and you may not like what I like.

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #405 of 1,147

I was told by an electronics store that I went to that none of these tubes are being manufactured. I have no idea how much stock anyone have left. But keep in mind that ALO ran out of stock of some of the tubes they use to stock already. hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back