ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #46 of 1,380
Quote:
Being that we are far away from the US, we have to beg, borrow or steal...well, maybe not the latter to get the good stuff from the US here, so we all share (as you all over the other side do).  I'm further away than the others but thankfully postage costs are somewhat reasonable.

Anyhow, a BIG box arrived this morning and I managed to get everything set up and warming up before I headed out for work.

I still need to get my head around the tubes as there were multiple options with some. My starting set from left to right was a GE 6SN7GT, then a pair of TADs, a pair of skinny Raytheons and a Sovtek.  I have switched the GE to a '50s Sylvania and that seems to be slightly smoother than the more gritty GE. I think I have a bit too much smooth here now, so I need to move things around.

Hi Currawong - looking forward to hearing your impressions!! 
beyersmile.png

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #48 of 1,380
Quote:

Hi Currawong - looking forward to hearing your impressions!! 
beyersmile.png

I'm also eager to hear where you ended up in your tube rolling!

I gotta run but I'll list the tubes I ended up with (and still playing) ASAP!!
I am however, using one of my fathers vintage RCA 6SN7's! and that
ended up giving me the best results in that slot (went thru a bunch of 6SN7's)

was able to introduce my neighbor to the wonderful world of high end personal
audio yesterday via the Studio Six, and listen in with him.  His jaw just DROPPED,
as I let him listen via my LCD3's (w/ MYTEK Stereo-192 DSD DAC  - Amarra as source)

damn, runnin' late!!!!

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #49 of 1,380
I've ended up on all NOS for the output. The TADs were introducing some harshness which was unwelcome. Now it sounds right. Good NOS tubes should be the default, IMO.

It delivers a very precise soundstage. It is very absolute -- THIS is what the music is like, precisely. THIS is how your headphones present music, absolutely.

It's a bit like an experience I had today listening to Avantgarde speakers and gigantic G2 sub fed through modified Air Tight SET amps. When you hear a drum hit, it is like the drum was struck in front of you. It is a bit like the headphone version of that experience. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #50 of 1,380
Hey All,

Tone Audio has just released their new magazine for the month and this one is a Headphone Edition .PDF download. It also has a review of the Studio Six in it as well as other headphone and headphone amp reviews. Please check it out.

http://www.tonepublications.com/

Thanks 

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Sep 13, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #51 of 1,380
  I've ended up on all NOS for the output. The TADs were introducing some harshness which was unwelcome. Now it sounds right. Good NOS tubes should be the default, IMO.

It delivers a very precise soundstage. It is very absolute -- THIS is what the music is like, precisely. THIS is how your headphones present music, absolutely.

It's a bit like an experience I had today listening to Avantgarde speakers and gigantic G2 sub fed through modified Air Tight SET amps. When you hear a drum hit, it is like the drum was struck in front of you. It is a bit like the headphone version of that experience. 

I agree completely.  It's why I said the amp was basically an evolutionary step for tube desktop, single-ended headphone amps in my review!
It gets the hell outta the way of the music.  When I'm listening to the Studio Six and my Audeze LCD3's (via either my analog front end or digital)
it's like listening in my favorite listening ROOM at Harry Pearson's place in Sea Cliff (Founder of The Absolute Sound magazine - where I've had
some of the most amazing stereo experiences of my life)!!

and btw, because I was in a rush and forget to get back to ya.  I ended up in my tube rolling with my father's vintage RCA 6SN7, TUNG-Sol 6V6's,
Sylvania OB2's, and a JJ 5AR4

The Six also changes the game in terms of headphone listening being a solitary experience!  I had a group of friends over recently, checking out
our new home, and next thing you know we're having a listening session together - but not at my two-channel in-room reference system!  We were all
listening off the Studio Six, and because most of the cans were open-back we were able to talk about our experiences as we listened! 

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #52 of 1,380
  Hey All,

Tone Audio has just released their new magazine for the month and this one is a Headphone Edition .PDF download. It also has a review of the Studio Six in it as well as other headphone and headphone amp reviews. Please check it out.

http://www.tonepublications.com/

Thanks 

Ken

Many of them written by Head-Fi's own @HiFiGuy528! - Michael Liang
He does a spectacular job, and is a serious advocate for personal audio

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #53 of 1,380
Various well-known Head-Fi reviewers are starting to creep into familiar publications. We're infecting the regular guys with this stuff.

I picked up a pair of HD-800s to see if the magic was still there (I'd been meaning to get a pair again for a long time to use with the WA7) and indeed, it is, though other headphones bested them overall.

It will definitely only be an amp for people who are serious about tube rolling though I reckon and, not to mention, serious about the almost $5k outlay before tubes. Not an amp for anyone who has qualms about either. "If you have to ask, you can't afford it"-factor.

Now...I wish I had a serious collection of tubes here. I can't do it proper justice.

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #54 of 1,380
As a recent ALO and LCD-2 owner (Signature 16 cables with XLR termination), (PanAm with Mullard / Cifté tubes as well as an International / AK100 for mobile) I am drooling over the Studio Six. One thing that I keep thinking about is why there isn't a balanced output jack on the Studio Six.

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #55 of 1,380
As a recent ALO and LCD-2 owner (Signature 16 cables with XLR termination), (PanAm with Mullard / Cifté tubes as well as an International / AK100 for mobile) I am drooling over the Studio Six. One thing that I keep thinking about is why there isn't a balanced output jack on the Studio Six.

Because it's a single-ended triode (SET) design. "Balanced" and "SET" are rather mutually exclusive.

se

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #56 of 1,380
dt880smile.png
Tested this with a CD source and on a Beyer T1 and Sennhesier HD650, extremely layered, distinctive staging and very transparent, tonality and body, extremely clean, however, there no chance to audit them with a HD 800, but on a HD 700, sound is too revealing and harsh ! 
Value for money. c/w 4 output jack source for 4 different sets of Headphones, therefore you can line up all your fav Headphones
wink.gif
​ 

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #59 of 1,380
http://www.aloaudio.com/studio-six

Hmm..why do you need XLR inputs ? It's already so smooth ? :wink:
Its about $7,199 here in Singapore.

I thought that the XLR always better than RCA (with same quality jack build inside and cable input). I'm using YULONG DAC and audio-gd DAC, the specs of XLRs always higher than RCA (and XLR look more professional :cool:).
$7200 ? Is that 7200 SGD(singapore dollar)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back