ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #61 of 1,380
Because it's a single-ended triode (SET) design. "Balanced" and "SET" are rather mutually exclusive.

se

YUP

and people sometimes get caught up on what "could be" or "should be" as opposed to what IS.

The ALO Studio Six is an outstanding single-ended triode headphone amplifier.  The design is so engaging my wife dubbed herself the "headphone widow" after I got one
in for review!  What matters most to me is how well the gear disappears, and leaves just me and the music so I'm not contemplating specs and such.

The Studio Six does this effortlessly.

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #63 of 1,380
YUP

and people sometimes get caught up on what "could be" or "should be" as opposed to what IS.

But now consider this.

The Studio Six is apparently a no feedback design. If that's the case, the bottoms of the secondary windings don't necessarily need to be tied to circuit ground. And if they're not, then the Studio Six's output is balanced in the truest sense of the word, in spite of the fact that it uses TRS jacks.

se

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #64 of 1,380
  I actually get caught up in not knowing a thing about the different amp technologies. Is there a good FAQ out there for those of us to just don't know the differences?

That's a GREAT question! Sorry if I seemed snarkish BTW - wasn't my intent.  I'll try to find you a nice breakdown of the differences somewhere.  

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #65 of 1,380
But now consider this.

The Studio Six is apparently a no feedback design. If that's the case, the bottoms of the secondary windings don't necessarily need to be tied to circuit ground. And if they're not, then the Studio Six's output is balanced in the truest sense of the word, in spite of the fact that it uses TRS jacks.

se

OK.  You get the -blew my brain back- award!!  

and, I admittedly wished for balanced input and outputs when I initially received the amplifier!
My E.A.R HP4 has balanced inputs.

But, after listening to the amp, after hearing its magic, I forgot all about that stuff.
It was just me and the music - which is a goal for me in ANY system: To disappear and
leave me with the music.

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #67 of 1,380
Well, unless you've got rather long runs or are in a horribly noisy environment, there's no particular advantage to balanced inputs.

se

YUP!
I was thankful to have em (had a long way to get around my office at the time to the headphone amp on my desk).
Funny as I was just explaining this topic to a friend who wondered if they should use XLR or RCA!

I will say this:
The Studio Six is also a great reviewers tool for evaluating cables!  At least it's been so for me.
I haven't had many desktop amps where I could discern such subtle difference in different cables!

I know that may end up opening a can of worms, but I've had buddies over who heard the same things.

It makes it all FUN

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #68 of 1,380
67 posts, lots of flowery subjective language, but not even a basic circuit description, much less a schematic, some lab data,  or even a "beauty shot" of the underside. Welcome to the world of modern audio.

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #70 of 1,380
DIY project or not, a circuit description at the very least would have been nice. How the tubes are used is just as important as what tubes are used, blah blah blah. Anyways I won't stir the pot too much, it only takes one hand to open up the amplifier. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #72 of 1,380
An amplifier amplifies a signal, this one just happens to be tailored for audio. I think it's a bit of a disservice to the potential buyer if all they get is a black box, especially in this kind of community where a disproportionate amount of the people here are at well-read enough to at least identify high level technical details/etc. I'm pretty indifferent towards whether the inner workings are exposed or not up front- if it gains traction then more power to ALO, but that only raises the probability that someone is tear it down. To take it further, why even tell customers what tubes are being used if it's just to listen to music?

I think it's a bit contradictory to not give more info to the design when ALO themselves sell DIY products (at least the last time I checked they sold the old-stock cryoparts, etc.)

*Edited because google shows the insides

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #73 of 1,380
I thought the idea of the amp was for the purpose of listening to music. Did I miss something?

se

NOPE.  That's why I got one! 
L3000.gif

67 posts, lots of flowery subjective language, but not even a basic circuit description, much less a schematic, some lab data,  or even a "beauty shot" of the underside. Welcome to the world of modern audio.

I'm sorry FrankCooter.  I review a product based on it's musical performance.  I come from the Harry Pearson school of audio reviewing,
and have been doing so for close to twenty years now.  I put my heart and soul into everything I write.  HERE's my review for Positive Feedback
if you'd like to check it out.

After spending time at TAS and then working for producer Arif Mardin at Atlantic Records for many years (writing during all this time)
I've found myself more interested in equipment that actually gets out of its own way.
For me, the best audio components/systems aid me in forgetting about the technology while listening.  It's just me and the music (which
is not easy to find in a system - that emotive connection) - and the Studio Six does that for me.

I speak of the listening experience in my reviews, and make observations based on the way the music sounds through the system.
There are plenty of people out there however that look to the schematics and technical implementation for their intel on a product.
So I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding more info you're seeking.

I got into Hi-fi because I love music, not because I love gear.
The gear is just the vehicle, so whether it's my E.A.R HP4, ALO Studio Six, or HRT microStreamer - as long as it connects me to the music in a way
that lets me forget I'm listening to Hi-fi, that's the goal for me.

After all, all the schematics in the world won't tell you what the amplifier actually sounds like.
But I respect anybody's process, so I'm sorry again you didn't find what you're looking for here.

So I guess I'm more of a subjectivist.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #74 of 1,380
To take it further, why even tell customers what tubes are being used if it's just to listen to music?  
I think it's a bit contradictory to not give more info to the design when ALO themselves sell DIY products (at least the last time I checked they sold the old-stock cryoparts, etc.)

Because it's designed for certain tubes. Can't just plug tubes in willy-nilly.

But the Studio Six itself is a commercial product. So I don't see what selling DIY parts has to do with whether or not you treat a commercial product like a DIY project.

*Edited because google shows the insides

Yeah. The Six Moons review has all the innards shots you could ask for.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/studiosix/1.html

se

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #75 of 1,380
  So I guess I'm more of a subjectivist.

Same here. I mean, at the end of the day, what else really matters but one's own subjective experience?

Here's a favorite quote of mine from Robert Pirsig:

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test.
If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."

And think about it. There's plenty of subjectivism all along the way. From the design of the instruments, to the performance, recording, etc. Don't see why it should all come to an end on the listening side of things.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back