ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #33 of 1,380
Quote:
I wouldn't bet on it and there are number of reasons for that. A zero-feedback design would require substantial (and I do mean substantial) power filtration. As a general rule, transformer output amplifiers employ a good amount of feedback, usually more than 20 dB. This is to cut costs on the size of transformers and said filtration. This also means less control in the bass and more color in the mid-range as well as diminished top end. However, there are variations to this rule depending on tube arrangement.

I will ask this though - are there any switches on the front or the back of the amplifier? There might be a feedback switch and if there is, then this amplifier might be zero-feedback but only in it's highest gain setting reserved for high impedance loads.

FYI: I just spoke directly with the Studio Six circuit designer this morning. I was curious about the these technical details you mention, and so I referenced your post. He said that "the ST-6 uses absolutely no feedback of any kind, local or global, anywhere in the circuit". He also said that  the ST-6 amplifier actually does not use any of the design approaches you mention in your posts. Anyhow, I hope this helps.
smile_phones.gif

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #34 of 1,380
Quote:
Each output seems to be the same. No matter what earphone/headphone combo I plug or just single units, the amp works exactly the same. 

I do like the idea of multiple outputs.  If I had such a thing, I'd keep 2 or 3 headphones plugged in
all the time. And switch from one to another whenever I felt like it.

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #35 of 1,380
Quote:

FYI: I just spoke directly with the Studio Six circuit designer this morning. I was curious about the these technical details you mention, and so I referenced your post. He said that "the ST-6 uses absolutely no feedback of any kind, local or global, anywhere in the circuit". He also said that  the ST-6 amplifier actually does not use any of the design approaches you mention in your posts. Anyhow, I hope this helps.
smile_phones.gif

Thanks,, I appreciate your effort to take the time to contact ALO! 

It's quite interesting then. To be honest, I can see plenty of reasons why I would have a use for this amplifier but most importantly is the obviously immensely stable power supply caoable of providing as much current that is needed. While many people would take this for granted, it is not usually the case. To put things in perspective, show me an amplifier and I will tell you what's wrong with it. Figuratively speaking of course but true nonetheless. 

As for their approach, my experience with commercial audio designs so far has always been that certain compromises had to be made in order to please everyone That almost certainly always meant plenty feedback, tubes set to operational points above their nominal range in order provide greater output but more importantly, tube configurations and tube selections that by default cannot produce distortion and color -free sound. But perhaps, ALO really went all out on the design and produced a commercial amplifier with the approach of a DIY fanatic who wouldn't settle on any compromises. I'd be very happy if that turned out to be the case and like I said, I would certainly gave it a serious consideration. 

Thanks very much mate!

Let's wait and see what others find out. If I didn't live in this God-forsaken country, I'd be visiting other shows a lot more and perhaps get a chance to exchange some thoughts and experiences on how we do things in our respective countries. That would be great. 

Cheers fellas!
Antun

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #36 of 1,380
Quote:
I do like the idea of multiple outputs.  If I had such a thing, I'd keep 2 or 3 headphones plugged in
all the time. And switch from one to another whenever I felt like it.

And the Six can do pretty much every earphone/headphone under the sun with no problem so it is doable... of course, when you have several headphones playing, each will leak sound. If you were a one-person party, it might be better to switch back and forth with the plug rather than swapping.

coincidentally, my review is finally done and up at ohm-image.

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #39 of 1,380
I brought the Studio Six to the headphone meet at Headmasters at the California Audio Show and people loved it.
We even had to move a couple along so other people could listen to it!!

I drove:

Audeze LCD3's
Sennheiser HD800's
Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs
Audeze LCD2

ALL without issue, and people were pluggin all sorts of cans in without issue!

What FUN

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #40 of 1,380
  I brought the Studio Six to the headphone meet at Headmasters at the California Audio Show and people loved it.
We even had to move a couple along so other people could listen to it!!

I drove:

Audeze LCD3's
Sennheiser HD800's
Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs
Audeze LCD2

ALL without issue, and people were pluggin all sorts of cans in without issue!

What FUN

Congratulations on a successful demo.  I'm taking this all-tube amplifier under advisement for upgrade preplanning for my Byron, CA, USA, 'puter station; it remains to be seen whether my current Asus® CM1630-06 as upgraded, or a future system running Microsoft® Windows® 8ight™ Service Pack 1 64-bit 8.0.10001 10 64-bit 10.0.14000, will drive the Studio Six™ when I do get it.

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #43 of 1,380
Quote:
Congratulations on a successful demo.  I'm taking this all-tube amplifier under advisement for upgrade preplanning for my Byron, CA, USA, 'puter station; it remains to be seen whether my current Asus® CM1630-06 as upgraded, or a future system running Microsoft® Windows® 8ight™ Service Pack 1 64-bit 8.0.10001, will drive the Studio Six™ when I do get it.

ThanX!!

I'm thinking about planning a get-together for some Bay Area Head-Fiers over at our new place,
though we gotta get unpacked first!!

Yeah it's been great watching the reactions to the Studio Six when I bring it to friends homes
(which I do - I have the PERFECT Pelican case for it - yeah, it's a disease - but better to be 
addicted to music than other things) and to Meets!!

I also had somebody recently ask me to host a Head-Fi party here, with the "big ALO party amp".
I got a kick out of that!!!

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #45 of 1,380
Being that we are far away from the US, we have to beg, borrow or steal...well, maybe not the latter to get the good stuff from the US here, so we all share (as you all over the other side do).  I'm further away than the others but thankfully postage costs are somewhat reasonable.

Anyhow, a BIG box arrived this morning and I managed to get everything set up and warming up before I headed out for work.

I still need to get my head around the tubes as there were multiple options with some. My starting set from left to right was a GE 6SN7GT, then a pair of TADs, a pair of skinny Raytheons and a Sovtek.  I have switched the GE to a '50s Sylvania and that seems to be slightly smoother than the more gritty GE. I think I have a bit too much smooth here now, so I need to move things around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back