ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #1,081 of 1,383
Concerning the Phono Stage, what would be the lowest-noise wiring method for input from the cartridge and turntable? I might test balanced wiring to mitigate the severe mismatch between impedances of cartridge and amplifier input when I land a used / excellent to good turntable; the single-ended RCA wiring seems noise-prone.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #1,083 of 1,383
I tried contacting them before but I was told that the short length is by design and they do not offer any other lengths. If you hear something different please do tell :beerchug:

Ah, well that's a shame. Already shot an email across to them and will let you know if I hear anything different.

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #1,085 of 1,383
I've been reading through this thread over the last few months. It's been very informative and I think I've decided to join the club with a new studio six here very soon. I've been in contact with ALO and was told that the studio six no longer comes with the teflon capacitors upgrade as an option. Bummer! While this isn't a deal breaker for me it's absolutely something I would have happily added with my purchase. I'm sure the amp is still stellar nonetheless.

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #1,086 of 1,383
A buddy of mine in the NL reported out to me that these work stellar.

1pc. General electric Ken-Rad 6sn7GT 1945
2pc. Marconi Radiotron 6v6G Coke bottle 1950
2pc. Telefunken OB2 1960
1pc. GZ37 CV378 Philips/Mullard Blackburn 1965

Also we are carrying these new production Mullard GZ34s

Cheers

Ken

Hello all.

I've taken the plunge and purchased a silver Studio Six that should arrive to me next week.

After reading this entire thread, several times, over the last few months I do have a question regarding rectifier tubes.

I'm aware that the studio six was designed for the 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier. I've also read that the electrical engineer on the project has officially stated that he can only recommend this tube to use in the amp.

I've also read this post by Ken Ball, owner and founder of ALO Audio reporting that a friend has had success using a GZ37 rectifier in the studio six.

I was wondering if anyone had any reports of negative effects of using a non 5AR4 or GZ34 in the studio six. Are internal components compromised with using a GZ37 for example? I've read of others using the USAF rectifier as well as at least one other using the legendary GEC/Osram U52 tube.

Over the years, I've actually collected a small stash of some of these classic tubes that I've used in other amps in my various head-fi rigs. I would consider trying out a Cossor 53KU fat bottle if I was confident that I wasn't going to stress the studio six too much.

I'd absolutely love to roll some of these classic tubes into the studio six. But not at the expense of hurting my amp.

Just a little confused as I read one thing from the company founder and another from the engineer. I'd love some clarification.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #1,087 of 1,383
I have not tried a GZ37 yet. I have been using a USAF-596 with adapter for quite awhile and I like it a lot. No issues with the amp either.

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #1,088 of 1,383
Thanks @longbowbbs

I'm really looking forward to receiving my studio six. I've actually been buying NOS tubes for the last 4-5 months in anticipation of finally making the studio six purchase.

My 6V6 pairs are as follows:

1953 Mazda France, black base, smoked glass

Mid 1950's Fivre, green and yellow label, black base, smoked glass

Mid 1950's Brimar, black base, orange writing, smoked glass

Mid 1950's Westinghouse Canada(made by Radiotron Valve Company), black base, grey writing, smoked glass

These should keep me busy to start.

I have a nice little collection of 6SN7's and a few ECC33's from other amps I've run in the past. So I have not really added anything new here.

More to come.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #1,089 of 1,383
I'll be curious how you like the Brimar's. Nice tube set to play with.

Feb 27, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #1,090 of 1,383
Hello everyone,

I have been a happy Studio Six owner for quite sometime, used mainly with the Studio Six Phone Pre-Amp and a Clearaudio concept turntable connected on the input 1 of the amp. For a period of time I have a Hugo TT connected as pure DAC on input 2 until recently when I sold it. Today I have connected a new DAC on the input 2 and only the right channel works until I move the headphone jack half way out of the socket and both channels are working. Needless to say that I have tried, in order:
  1. different source
  2. different cables
  3. switching sources between inputs
and of course the issue still remain on that particular input, input 2 with only the right channel playing once selected. Has any of you, fellow owners have experienced a behavior/issue such as this one? Any idea what can have caused this anomaly? Should I contact ALO to setup a repair? Any help on this matter is highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Fabio A

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #1,091 of 1,383
After over a week delay due to really bad winter weather slowing down shipping companies my Studio Six has arrived!

I have to say pictures don't do this beauty justice. It screams quality. The build and fit and finish are just top-notch in my book.

I've set the stock tubes aside for now in favor of NOS tubes I've collected.

The SS is burning in with the following tubes:

1 -Phillips GZ34/5AR4 metal base from 1957

2 -Marconi 0B2 tubes from the mid 1950's

2 -Brimar 6V6GT tubes from the mid 1950's

1 -Brimar CV1988 from the 1950's

More to come...
20210303_160131.jpg
20210303_160155.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #1,092 of 1,383
Very nice! Congratulations!

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #1,094 of 1,383
Congrats. I used to own one (sold when I moved to 1266TCs) and its a real beauty. So well made too. I miss it.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #1,095 of 1,383
So, I'm a little over a week into owning the studio six. So, I do believe in burn in. The transformers and capacitors, everything is all brand new. So with this all said and knowing I could continue to hear improvements. The two words that come to mind in describing the studio six, elegant & refined.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back