ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Oct 26, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #1,052 of 1,380
maybe Silver SS and a black phono? So many choices!

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #1,054 of 1,380
Did anyone get JAN Philips 0B2 with theirs? I’m wondering if they should be replaced or it won’t make a huge difference. Thank you.

Mine came with those, did end up replacing them with a pair of NOS RCAs. Made things a bit more lively from doing some AB testing.

Oct 30, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #1,056 of 1,380
Dec 2, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #1,058 of 1,380
Has anyone with the Alo phono experienced channel imbalance or anyone who might be able to shed some light on this?

My L channel is louder than my R. I’ve tried the following but no luck:

- Tried 2 different phonos and they were fine so I know it’s not the turntable
- Switched the left/right 12AUX tubes
- Tried a different 6SN7 tube
- Tried different cables

On my amp with channel balance knob, I had to turn it to 3 o’clock in order to center the sound.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 2, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #1,059 of 1,380
I have not experienced this. Perhaps, Tom will chime in with some ideas.

Dec 2, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #1,060 of 1,380
Has anyone with the Alo phono experienced channel imbalance or anyone who might be able to shed some light on this?

- Tried different cables

On my amp with channel balance knob, I had to turn it to 3 o’clock in order to center the sound.

Thanks in advance.
I just recently had the same issue but it turned out, in my case, to be the 6SN7 tube KENRAD I purchased used on eBay two years ago, replaced with the stock tube and the issue went away; now waiting for the RCA Black plate to be delivered as replacement of the current stock one.

Dec 2, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #1,061 of 1,380
I believe there was a brief mention of the 6SL7 on this thread before, not exactly the 6SL7GT but should be within the same range.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/alo...s-and-impressions-thread.674498/post-11827699

Unfortunately: no, the 6SL7 cannot be used in the Studio-Six.

The 6SL7 has a higher amplification factor, but also a much higher plate-resistance and much higher input (miller) capacitance than the 6SN7. The 6SL7 in the Studio-Six would be operating at an improper operating point (increased distortion), and also with appreciably increased high-frequency roll-off (loss of treble extension).

Fortunately: there are many excellent vintage 6SN7's available to choose from :wink:

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #1,062 of 1,380

- Tried different cables

Thanks in advance.

Hello Njychen.

I am sorry to hear of your phono stage issues.

Let me first compliment you: you have done all the logical things to verify that the imbalance you experience is not within other gear, nor the result of a tube failure in your Studio-Six phono preamp.

I have a couple quick questions for you:

(1) Have you indeed purchased your phono preamp new from ALO?

(2) did the phono preamp arrive with this problem, or did the unit work properly at first and then begin later to show the imbalance?

Either way, the fault is almost certainly within the phono stage, and not any fault of yours.

I'm going to contact Ken at ALO right now, and appraise him of your problem.

If indeed your phono preamp was purchased new from ALO, then the obvious course is to coordinate with ALO, and return ship the phono unit for inspection and repair at no expense to you.

Let me apologize for your inconvenience. ALO is quite diligent in inspecting and testing all units before shipment, but alas, *very infrequently* a piece of equipment will nonetheless require repair.

Thanks in advance, for your patience and kind understanding

--Thomas

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #1,063 of 1,380
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response.

1) The unit was purchased brand new from a reputable and authorized seller as far as I know. Can PM you the name if needed.

2) The unit has this issue out of the box.

I suppose it’s also possible that both the stock 6SN7 and the other 6SN7 which I bought off eBay may be defective though chances are slim. I will try a 3rd 6SN7 to confirm.

Thank you.

Hello Njychen.

I am sorry to hear of your phono stage issues.

Let me first compliment you: you have done all the logical things to verify that the imbalance you experience is not within other gear, nor the result of a tube failure in your Studio-Six phono preamp.

I have a couple quick questions for you:

(1) Have you indeed purchased your phono preamp new from ALO?

(2) did the phono preamp arrive with this problem, or did the unit work properly at first and then begin later to show the imbalance?

Either way, the fault is almost certainly within the phono stage, and not any fault of yours.

I'm going to contact Ken at ALO right now, and appraise him of your problem.

If indeed your phono preamp was purchased new from ALO, then the obvious course is to coordinate with ALO, and return ship the phono unit for inspection and repair at no expense to you.

Let me apologize for your inconvenience. ALO is quite diligent in inspecting and testing all units before shipment, but alas, *very infrequently* a piece of equipment will nonetheless require repair.

Thanks in advance, for your patience and kind understanding

--Thomas

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #1,064 of 1,380
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response.

1) The unit was purchased brand new from a reputable and authorized seller as far as I know. Can PM you the name if needed.

2) The unit has this issue out of the box.

I suppose it’s also possible that both the stock 6SN7 and the other 6SN7 which I bought off eBay may be defective though chances are slim. I will try a 3rd 6SN7 to confirm.

Thank you.

Sounds good,

If you can conveniently try another 6SN7, then that would be a good experiment. Otherwise, it's most likely that your unit needs factory diagnosis and repair.

Please, do not hesitate to contact ALO directly once you are ready to arrange shipment for repairs. I contacted Ken Ball about your problem, and he's ready to work with you.

Very sincerely,

--Thomas

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #1,065 of 1,380
Update:

Just tried swapping the 6SN7 on the phono with the one on Studio 6. The imbalance is still there albeit seemingly less severe (channel balance knob at 2’o clock instead of 3’o clock)

Studio 6 sounds fine with either tube and a different source and only sounds off when using phono as source.

I have 2 more 6SN7 coming this week. Will try those and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back