ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #1,111 of 1,380
We recommend against any alternative rectifier for the Studio-Six other than those from the 5AR4/GZ34 family.

In fact, the 5AR4/GZ34 is an ideal tube for the application.

Reliability and/or performance problems are likely with other types of rectifiers, including the possibility of excessive current draw from the power transformer filament winding and perhaps damage.

In truth, there is little to be gained beyond the stock JJ 5AR4, it is an excellent tube.

Far greater sonic impact is to be made with exploring variations of 6V6 and/or 6SN7 types.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #1,112 of 1,380
We recommend against any alternative rectifier for the Studio-Six other than those from the 5AR4/GZ34 family.

In fact, the 5AR4/GZ34 is an ideal tube for the application.

Reliability and/or performance problems are likely with other types of rectifiers, including the possibility of excessive current draw from the power transformer filament winding and perhaps damage.

In truth, there is little to be gained beyond the stock JJ 5AR4, it is an excellent tube.

Far greater sonic impact is to be made with exploring variations of 6V6 and/or 6SN7 types.
Thanks for the explanation :gs1000smile:

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #1,113 of 1,380
I'll start with these
D42F2CC2-4ED0-4AE2-9675-39BC4E87C6F4.jpeg

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #1,114 of 1,380
Sunday listening 🎶

Rolled in a true NOS pair of Mazda France 🇫🇷 6V6GT's made in 1953. These tubes sound fantastic! They have more of the classic Hi-Fi sound vs. the Brimars. Tighter bass but very balanced top to bottom. Nothing out of place. A really nice contrast to the pair of mid-1950's Brimars. I think the Mazdas will be staying in for awhile.
20210425_132950.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #1,115 of 1,380
Sunday listening 🎶

Rolled in a true NOS pair of Mazda France 🇫🇷 6V6GT's made in 1953. These tubes sound fantastic! They have more of the classic Hi-Fi sound vs. the Brimars. Tighter bass but very balanced top to bottom. Nothing out of place. A really nice contrast to the pair of mid-1950's Brimars. I think the Mazdas will be staying in for awhile. 20210425_132950.jpg
:L3000: Very libido..

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #1,117 of 1,380
Apr 26, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #1,118 of 1,380
He was here today. It's a show :L3000:

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #1,119 of 1,380
It only gets better. Then you can do some tube rolling. It is a fun journey.
With the low-impedence headphones, does yours have a little background noise?

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #1,120 of 1,380

I've not used my low impedence headphones too much on the Studio Six. But remember a few things that may help you figure this issue out.

1. Your amp is brand new. These hand built amplifiers from ALO Audio have entirely new components. The transformers, all the capacitors, all the wire. It's all new. I've only owned my Studio Six for abut 3 months and I was aware that it was going to need many many hours before I could really get an idea about what it was all about. Honestly I think it wasn't until roughly 300 hours that it all started to really show its true colors. Keep playing music and keep running a signal though the Studio Six and listen to how much it will improve.

2. Another thing that comes to mind as a possible reason you have background noise may be the tubes. I'll be totally honest, the stock tubes that came with the Studio Six have never been put into my amp. Now I'm not saying that these aren't good quality tubes. I think they were all current production tubes with the exception of the OB2's, I think those were NOS RCAs that came with the amp. But either way you may have to experiment with different tubes to figure out if your noise is tube related. I think the 6SN7 input tube or the pair of 6V6GTs would most likely be the tubes to focus on for maybe being the origin of your noise. But really without hearing it myself it's tough to really say. You may want to look into getting yourself a few new tubes, if for no other reason then to play around with how they compare to the stock tubes. Don't give up and keep us updated. I'm sure your Studio Six just needs to continue to burn in. Also, you may want to begin to look into a few NOS tubes for the input and output of the Studio Six. Both American and European NOS tubes can be found at different price points.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #1,121 of 1,380
Hi, I will definitely try some tubes nos, for the moment I will play some music :o2smile:

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #1,122 of 1,380
Yes --but very little.

With particularly sensitive phones such as Grados, this small background noise can be just audible when listening in a very quiet room and no music is actively playing.

Again, this noise should be of quite low, background level, and should become essentially inaudible in most phones of average sensitivity.

RobertSM's advice is good: continue playing music, and let the unit "burn in" for awhile. You should notice a subtle but meaningful smoothing of the sound signature of the amp, particularly noticeable within about 20 hours or so of unit operation.

Should you ever experience any *pronounced* hum or noise, however, particularly in one channel, then a tube issue is most likely the culprit.

Good news: all tubes in the Studio-Six are operated quite conservatively, and so excellent tube life/reliability is the norm.

-Enjoy!

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #1,123 of 1,380
Yes --but very little.

With particularly sensitive phones such as Grados, this small background noise can be just audible when listening in a very quiet room and no music is actively playing.

Again, this noise should be of quite low, background level, and should become essentially inaudible in most phones of average sensitivity.

RobertSM's advice is good: continue playing music, and let the unit "burn in" for awhile. You should notice a subtle but meaningful smoothing of the sound signature of the amp, particularly noticeable within about 20 hours or so of unit operation.

Should you ever experience any *pronounced* hum or noise, however, particularly in one channel, then a tube issue is most likely the culprit.

Good news: all tubes in the Studio-Six are operated quite conservatively, and so excellent tube life/reliability is the norm.

-Enjoy!
In fact, I was using it with Grado GS3000E, noise is in the absence of music, thanks for the useful information, there is a dust cover for the Alo Six ?

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #1,124 of 1,380
In fact, I was using it with Grado GS3000E, noise is in the absence of music, thanks for the useful information, there is a dust cover for the Alo Six ?
None was ever developed.

The public interest in a cover of some sort never seemed very high, indeed most users seem to enjoy the esthetics of the open tubes.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #1,125 of 1,380
None was ever developed.

The public interest in a cover of some sort never seemed very high, indeed most users seem to enjoy the esthetics of the open tubes.
My cat too 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back