ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
May 6, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #1,141 of 1,380
It's a pity ALO doesn't sell the Continental V5 any more. For dynamic driver IEMs it was a "mini Studio Six" of sorts.

May 6, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #1,142 of 1,380
It's a pity ALO doesn't sell the Continental V5 any more. For dynamic driver IEMs it was a "mini Studio Six" of sorts.
I need their batteries.
Used to have 10 hrs.
Now, down to 6 to 6.5 hrs of play time.
Still have the CDM though but it's hot to carry around...just replaced CDM recently....
CV5 is addicted to hear with tubey sound.

May 8, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #1,144 of 1,380
ALO does universally recommend *against* using IEM's with the Studio-Six.

The Studio-Six is really too powerful for *any* IEM's, and otherwise not compatible with IEM's for a number of other reasons.

Hearing damage and/or other personal injury could potentially result from attempting IEM use with a Studio-Six.

I strongly suggest perhaps using a high-quality lower-power amplifier which has been specifically designed for IEM use.

I hope you can continue to enjoy your Studio-Six to it's fullest, despite it's limitation of being a headphone-only amplifier unit.
Is Studio Six powerful enough for Abyss 1266?

May 8, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #1,145 of 1,380
Is Studio Six powerful enough for Abyss 1266?
The Studio-Six is powerful enough to drive essentially any dynamic or planar headphone on the market without excess distortion.

However, the Studio-Six will not deliver super-high "head-banging" SPL levels to some of the less sensitive Planar headphones such as some of the Abyss and HiFiMan models.

I have not yet heard the Abyss 1266 with the Studio-Six, and so I cannot comment specifically at length.

Personally, I use my Studio-Six regularly with my original-production HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones (a lower-sensitivity headphone) and indeed the pairing is a personal favorite of mine --big, full, gutsy performance. I generally listen at modest SPL levels, and don't take chances with damaging my hearing, and so the limited max SPL with the HE-6 and Studio-Six isn't a limitation for me.

I would strongly recommend, if possible, borrowing a pair of Abyss to try out with the Studio-Six *before* purchasing a pair in anticipation of using them with the Studio-Six. This way you'd know if the max SPL would be sufficient for your tastes.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #1,146 of 1,380
I can vouche for the Studio Six/ZMF Verite pairing. The Studio Six has absolute control over the Verite drivers with clear sound top to bottom. Actually the combo has brilliant low end extension, if the track calls for it. I searched long and hard for an amp that would pair with the Verites and that would still allow for the endless combinations of tube rolling to season the sound. I wanted a design that was a made in the USA product and that was overbuilt and from a company that was truly committed to high-end audio. I know OTL amps are all the current rage but I was looking for and prefer a transformer coupled design. The ALO Studio Six checks all of those boxes.

Bonus, is that I'm located in the Los Angeles area, on the West Coast. ALO Audio is located in Portland, Oregon also on the West Coast. So I figured if I ever needed service for my Studio Six the West Coast connection would make it easier to get from my hands back to the factory. Of course I don't really expect that I'll need to do that. But..if I did it's good to know it would be a bit easier.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #1,147 of 1,380
The Studio-Six is powerful enough to drive essentially any dynamic or planar headphone on the market without excess distortion.

However, the Studio-Six will not deliver super-high "head-banging" SPL levels to some of the less sensitive Planar headphones such as some of the Abyss and HiFiMan models.

I have not yet heard the Abyss 1266 with the Studio-Six, and so I cannot comment specifically at length.

Personally, I use my Studio-Six regularly with my original-production HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones (a lower-sensitivity headphone) and indeed the pairing is a personal favorite of mine --big, full, gutsy performance. I generally listen at modest SPL levels, and don't take chances with damaging my hearing, and so the limited max SPL with the HE-6 and Studio-Six isn't a limitation for me.

I would strongly recommend, if possible, borrowing a pair of Abyss to try out with the Studio-Six *before* purchasing a pair in anticipation of using them with the Studio-Six. This way you'd know if the max SPL would be sufficient for your tastes.

I bought the Abyss AB 1266 TC, theoretically if you use the Hifiman He6 (83.5 db) the Abyss (88 db) should have no volume problems, but if in doubt I also have an amplifier designed ideally for the Abyss

May 9, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #1,148 of 1,380
I bought the Abyss AB 1266 TC, theoretically if you use the Hifiman He6 (83.5 db) the Abyss (88 db) should have no volume problems, but if in doubt I also have an amplifier designed ideally for the Abyss
Please do report back your results with the Abyss 1266/Studio-Six pairing. It would be most interesting to hear your impressions.

Yes, I very much like the pairing of the Studio-Six and the HE-6, but do realize the maximum SPL limitation may be felt as a minus by some users.

The tonal solidity and articulation of the HE-6 headphones, the crisp dynamics, the deep well-controlled bass --these phones are favorites of mine.

May 9, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #1,149 of 1,380
Please do report back your results with the Abyss 1266/Studio-Six pairing. It would be most interesting to hear your impressions.

Yes, I very much like the pairing of the Studio-Six and the HE-6, but do realize the maximum SPL limitation may be felt as a minus by some users.

The tonal solidity and articulation of the HE-6 headphones, the crisp dynamics, the deep well-controlled bass --these phones are favorites of mine.

Of course, in about a week I should have the Abyss, when I have tested them I will let you know the result :L3000:

May 9, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #1,150 of 1,380
I can vouche for the Studio Six/ZMF Verite pairing. The Studio Six has absolute control over the Verite drivers with clear sound top to bottom. Actually the combo has brilliant low end extension, if the track calls for it. I searched long and hard for an amp that would pair with the Verites and that would still allow for the endless combinations of tube rolling to season the sound. I wanted a design that was a made in the USA product and that was overbuilt and from a company that was truly committed to high-end audio. I know OTL amps are all the current rage but I was looking for and prefer a transformer coupled design. The ALO Studio Six checks all of those boxes.

Bonus, is that I'm located in the Los Angeles area, on the West Coast. ALO Audio is located in Portland, Oregon also on the West Coast. So I figured if I ever needed service for my Studio Six the West Coast connection would make it easier to get from my hands back to the factory. Of course I don't really expect that I'll need to do that. But..if I did it's good to know it would be a bit easier.
Your positive experiences with the Studio-Six are nice to hear about.

It was June 2013 when the Studio-Six made it’s first debut, and so next month will mark eight-years the unit has been in continuous production.

Before release, there were many months of careful work in the design and development of the amplifier. We were determined to bring forward a timeless and “obsolescence-proof” amplifier, with uncompromising audio reproduction quality and a very conservative build quality in service of the intention that the Studio-Six could last a lifetime of use.

It’s been such a lot of fun, and there has been much humble satisfaction experienced in the wake of overwhelmingly positive public reception and accolades for the amplifier over these many years following the amplifier’s introduction.

There are a number of fine, high-quality OTL-type headphone amplifiers on the market today, however, a well-designed single-ended triode Class-A topology utilizing output transformers has certain virtues all it’s own, and of which so many users have come to appreciate and prefer.

Big transformers and chokes, such as those utilized in the Studio-Six, are heavy and they are expensive —but we feel these caveats are a worthy trade-off in pursuit of the highest musicality of sound reproduction.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #1,151 of 1,380
I'm still using the Studio Six here. The only place it trips up is with very low bass and the HiFiMan Sundaras, where it loses control. It's a lovely match with the Final D8000 and D8000 Pro.

May 15, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,152 of 1,380

I am pleased to inform you that the Alo Studio is able to drive the Abyss in an acceptable manner, the volume achieved allows for excellent listening and bass control is good and the rest of the range very refined, a pleasure
Promoted :gs1000smile:
AF2E190A-37C4-4955-87EC-0451DA242A43_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #1,153 of 1,380
I am pleased to inform you that the Alo Studio is able to drive the Abyss in an acceptable manner, the volume achieved allows for excellent listening and bass control is good and the rest of the range very refined, a pleasure
Promoted :gs1000smile:
Very nice Pic!

...and an encouraging initial listening report with the Abyss 1266 headphones

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #1,154 of 1,380
:smile_phones:

maro65, I am curious and have a question for you:

To bring your 1266 Abyss phones up to your normal/average listening level, do you find the Studio-Six volume control is advanced to a fairly high point, perhaps 70% of control range or so? (just my guess)

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #1,155 of 1,380
:smile_phones:

maro65, I am curious and have a question for you:

To bring your 1266 Abyss phones up to your normal/average listening level, do you find the Studio-Six volume control is advanced to a fairly high point, perhaps 70% of control range or so? (just my guess)
Doesn't look like it from the picture. It looks to be around the 35 to 40% mark on the volume. By reference, my HE6SE requires 50% to reach my normal/relax listening levels. Never really needed to go beyond 50%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back