ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #196 of 1,380
  Well, I am looking to buy a stereo system.

NICE!
I still rock my stereo - thats the world I came from after all - that and the music biz.

But for me, with some my top reference personal audio rigs (including the ALO Studio Six, E.A.R HP4, and Cavalli Liquid Gold)
and my favorite cans - Audeze LCD-3, X, XC, HD800s, Audio Technica AD900x, Alpha and Mad Dogs, etc....

I feel like I'm experiencing some of the best in-room stereo systems I've had the pleasure of hearing minus the room issues!!
Especially with the right DAC/digital front-end or my top analog front-end feeding the systems.

As, for me, the goal of any reference stereo system was to get the system to transcend the componentry, 
and connect me with the music so deeply I forget about the tech and get LOST in the music.

Lately I've been havin a BLAST with the Studio Six w/ a vintage NOS RCA 6SN7, Tung Sol 6V6's, Raytheon OB2's (thanks to Ken at ALO for that reco!!) and an NOS Phillips 5AR4 - 

Using my McIntosh D100 as DAC, w/ MacBook Pro SSD/Amarra as digital source
and VPI Traveler deck on Gingko Audio Cloud9T iso platform, w/ Ortofon 2MBlue cart - and my Unison Research Simply Phono tube phonostage...

Breathtakingly musical.
and this rig got me LOVIn' the Audio Technica AD900X too!
a KILLER combo

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #197 of 1,380
 Well, I am looking to buy a stereo system.

NICE!
I still rock my stereo - thats the world I came from after all - that and the music biz.

But for me, with some my top reference personal audio rigs (including the ALO Studio Six, E.A.R HP4, and Cavalli Liquid Gold)
and my favorite cans - Audeze LCD-3, X, XC, HD800s, Audio Technica AD900x, Alpha and Mad Dogs, etc....

I feel like I'm experiencing some of the best in-room stereo systems I've had the pleasure of hearing minus the room issues!!
Especially with the right DAC/digital front-end or my top analog front-end feeding the systems.

As, for me, the goal of any reference stereo system was to get the system to transcend the componentry, 
and connect me with the music so deeply I forget about the tech and get LOST in the music.

Lately I've been havin a BLAST with the Studio Six w/ a vintage NOS RCA 6SN7, Tung Sol 6V6's, Raytheon OB2's (thanks to Ken at ALO for that reco!!) and an NOS Phillips 5AR4 - 

Using my McIntosh D100 as DAC, w/ MacBook Pro SSD/Amarra as digital source
and VPI Traveler deck on Gingko Audio Cloud9T iso platform, w/ Ortofon 2MBlue cart - and my Unison Research Simply Phono tube phonostage...

Breathtakingly musical.
and this rig got me LOVIn' the Audio Technica AD900X too!
a KILLER combo

Pls rank and compare the ear, cavalli and ALO headamps. Pros and cons. Thx

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #198 of 1,380
+1 :D

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #199 of 1,380

Received a pair of French OB2s today. These have the liveliness of the Raytheons and are rather brutal showing up any tracks that are less than perfect.

I have a few more tubes on the way, but current where I'm at is, from left-to-right:

PSVANE, French 6K6, French OB2, Mullard metal base.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #200 of 1,380

Received a pair of French OB2s today. These have the liveliness of the Raytheons and are rather brutal showing up any tracks that are less than perfect.

I have a few more tubes on the way, but current where I'm at is, from left-to-right:

PSVANE, French 6K6, French OB2, Mullard metal base.

Hi, where would you get those French OB2s from? 

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #201 of 1,380
I found them on eBay and took a chance. Not sure if the seller has any more. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #202 of 1,380

Wow.
This is TOUGH.

I usually don't compare products, especially reference-quality amps like these, as they're so different in design philosophy, execution, and overall musical presentation.
You see, for me, there is no such thing as "best" in audio, which I recently shared on my Twitter feed April 11th (with surprisingly positive responses) last Friday - because no matter what something may do on a bench, or a dummy-head, or even to a person - we're ALL reacting to an art-form. Music is art - just like there is no "best" band in my opinion, there is no best amplifier. That amplifier is reproducing music, so in fact one art-form is connecting you to another one. How can that be positively quantified? Sure, I know all about testing, but you get my meaning here...

Also, because I don't want this to seem like a cop-out, coming from the school of Harry Pearson and The Absolute Sound magazine - my mentor and dear old friend, and who's teachings I carry with me everyday - I think judging each component on its own merit in the system is important, because we're never only hearing the amp, or the headphones, or the cables, etc...  That's also why I often say this "" performed this way in my system, or the music sounded this way with the "" in the system. We're always reacting to systems - not just the one thing. I know this way flies in the face of the objectivists - but it's how I feel about the audio arts - I'm a music addict, I need it all the time, and so my favorite systems sound like no system at all. They just get outta the way of the music and provide me with a grand conduit to my favorite tunes.

All that said - I'm comfortable breaking down some pros and cons of these three amps for you - but just know that all three are what I consider to be state-of-the-art in personal audio desktop/headphone amplification today (crazy, as the E.A.R is over ten years old, but that just shows how far ahead of the game Tim DeParavicini was):

OK - so, pros and cons of the ALO Studio Six, E.A.R HP4, and Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold (I also hate to get off-topic here - but hey its been asked right?):

Pros of the ALO Studio Six: has a particular advantage for those seeking to change the signature of their headphone amp now and again - with its tube-rolling capabilities, you can keep tinkering with this amp and discover differences! I've had mine for over a year now, and thanks to Ken Ball and @Currawong  - I've had all sorts of different listening experiences due to tube-rolling. The S6 also has four headphone outputs - which may not seem like a big deal to the average user - but for me, a reviewer, its a dream. I just plug the cans into the same source and swap em on my head to judge sonic differentials. This also comes in handy if you wanna get down with a couple of friends and have your own silent rave! NO JOKE - my wifey and her friend Gina have danced in my office many times - the three of us rockin' cans - to the Studio Six! I also love the textural quality of the sound of the S6 in my system - especially w/ the McIntosh D100 DAC! It's silky, far from muddy, and also capable of reproducing the emotive impact of the music. If I only owned the Studio Six as my top reference I'd still be ecstatic. It's a terrific amp, and on certain occasions I've preferred it to anything else.

Cons of the ALO Studio Six: No balanced input or output. This amp is terrific as-is, but I would LOVE to hear this thing balanced, which would change the damn design I know - but there have been many times recently where I choose balanced output as (depending on the resolution and power of the amp) I seem to gain dimensionality in balanced mode. 

Pros of the E.A.R HP4: It's also a tube-rollers paradise, utilizing 4 6SL7s. I've finally found a favorite combo (2 NOS vintage GE tubes and 2 NOS vintage RCA). It can also drive two low-impedance and two high-impedance cans at once with no strain. It's built like a Brick____house - and in all chrome it's very easy on the eyes for anyone, audio freak or no. But the bottom-line on the HP4 - which even with an industry accommodation price was a huge purchase for me: There's something magical about its sound. I know I sound like a dirty hippy - but with the right cans and associated equipment, it still feels like this amp cuts straight through to the music like no other, in terms of what I've called "emotive transference". The E.A.R still comes out ahead in my heart - but not necessarily in my ears all the time now. It's still got magic, but the Liquid Gold is close on its tail now. But I should stress it's still got a leg up in the sparkle department. Someday I'll tell the story of what @warrenpchi said/thought when he came over to hear the HP4 and S6 next to each other for the first time. It was one of those times when one is great, but... Tim DeParavicini not only loves music, and is a world-reknown engineer - its his work in the studio world that impresses me the most - and why I wanted to hear E.A.R in the first place years ago and fell in love with it! He's re-built tape machines for everyone from The Beatles to Pink Floyd and others - re-designed and built all sorts of studio gear for serious musicians. His stuff usually has a sweet, body-movin', toe-tappin' kind of quality. His 868 tube pre-amp brought my in-room stereo system to crazy new heights sonically!

Cons of the E.A.R HP4: Balanced input (which gives ya a lil' boost in the gain over SE - which is nice) but no balanced output! While that's a con, there's a reason for it: Nobody was using balanced headphones when Tim DeParavicini designed the damn thing. That's also a testament to his engineering and feel for design. The thing is 11+ years old and it's still at the top-level tier in headphone amplifiers. That's crazy. Other than that I don't have any cons - aside from the fact that changing tubes out takes alot of time and that seems like a pain in the a__ sometimes. You have to remove the chassis cover to change the tubes out. So when I'm tube-rolling with the thing, I keep the cover off the whole time. 

Pros of the Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold: Well, I've been falling in love with this amplifier more and more since it got installed in my system two months ago! I just scribed a review of the amp here on Head-Fi before my other reviews for Part-Time Audiophile and Audio360.org are published. This amplifier means bizness. It's got enormous power dynamically, despite what it might say on a white paper - this thing is a musical beast. It also plays well with others, as stated in my review here on Head-Fi, with regards to different styles of cans. I saw some people were complaining of noise with higher impedance cans - or cans plugged-in via SE (as Alex Cavalli smartly chose to use the Neutrik connectors that accept XLR and 1/4" on the faceplate) - but I experimented w/ my Audio Technica AD900X via SE thanks to the request of a fellow Head-Fier. While I heard a slight hiss when there was no music playing, when I pumped up the tunes it became inaudible - and also, as said in my review - coming from the stereo world that's sometimes an unfortunate part of the equation: a lil' noise when there's no music playing. I don't really care if the thing scours for satellites while I'm not listening to music. I care when the music's ON! So no complaint there. The volume knob is also smooth and makes it a pleasure to dial things in just right. I honestly like the feel of a sturdy knob - OMG - look how that reads - seriously though: AS its the little things that often show you if the people behind a product give a s___. This amps' transient attack is ferocious, like lightning (hence the name for his other amp - Liquid Lightning) but not harsh on the ears. The LAu is as musically dynamic as any solid state amp I've experienced, including high-end, in-room stereo power. It's glued itself to my ears like the HP4 did when I first heard it. And it keeps getting better!

Cons of the Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold: I don't have much! I'd love more outputs, but I believe he's remedied that with a new version. Looks like it include dedicated SE output and balanced, and more of them. Other than that - a medium gain setting would be NICE. I don't mind low and high, but I dig that about ALO portables - the 3-level gain switch. Sometimes the medium is just the ticket: No noise and plenty of power still. Aside of that - I have no qualms about the LAu. Except, maybe, that now I have to figure out a way to buy it!! :wink:

I also wanna tell you why I don't necessarily think of any of these amps as being "better" than another. I've been seeking three top reference headphone amplifiers for the Sonic Satori Personal Audio Lab (where I do all my reviews for various publications). I've ended up with more, w/ the McIntosh D100 pre/DAC/Hphone amp and the Burson Conductor! But there is a method to this madness, and I know it may not translate to many to of you younger than me. You see, when I worked for Harry Pearson at The Absolute Sound I was always amazed that he managed to keep THREE listening rooms intact, and all stuffed with contemporary and modern audio gear. All systems were terrific at all times, but some served difference purposes:

Room 3 was the big room (with Genesis 1 7-foot towers or Nola Grand References, Wilsons, etc.)
Room 2 was the smallest room - but my favorite, as it was rectangular, except for these slight angles at the end of the room (right and left) where the windows were.
With the right acoustic treatment it's one of my favorite listening rooms for stripped-down, singer/songwriter stuff and ambient music
Room 1 was the video room - which later became the multi-channel DSD/SACD Rm (yeah, hoe far ahead was he) - with 5 huge Magnepans for the speakers and all Edge 
Audio power. It was amazing it is musical scope and stage. I remember listening in that room, imagining I was in a concert hall, or an underground rave, depending on the music.

So I'm trying to amass the same type of varying reference systems for the SS Audio Lab, including great portable stuff too.

So far - All three of these amps, IMO, represent the current state-of-the-art in musical performance. That's also why I don't see things as "best"

It's music we're listening to after-all, right??

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #203 of 1,380

Wow.
This is TOUGH.

I usually don't compare products, especially reference-quality amps like these, as they're so different in design philosophy, execution, and overall musical presentation.
You see, for me, there is no such thing as "best" in audio, which I recently shared on my Twitter feed April 11th (with surprisingly positive responses) last Friday - because no matter what something may do on a bench, or a dummy-head, or even to a person - we're ALL reacting to an art-form. Music is art - just like there is no "best" band in my opinion, there is no best amplifier. That amplifier is reproducing music, so in fact one art-form is connecting you to another one. How can that be positively quantified? Sure, I know all about testing, but you get my meaning here...

Also, because I don't want this to seem like a cop-out, coming from the school of Harry Pearson and The Absolute Sound magazine - my mentor and dear old friend, and who's teachings I carry with me everyday - I think judging each component on its own merit in the system is important, because we're never only hearing the amp, or the headphones, or the cables, etc...  That's also why I often say this "" performed this way in my system, or the music sounded this way with the "" in the system. We're always reacting to systems - not just the one thing. I know this way flies in the face of the objectivists - but it's how I feel about the audio arts - I'm a music addict, I need it all the time, and so my favorite systems sound like no system at all. They just get outta the way of the music and provide me with a grand conduit to my favorite tunes.

All that said - I'm comfortable breaking down some pros and cons of these three amps for you - but just know that all three are what I consider to be state-of-the-art in personal audio desktop/headphone amplification today (crazy, as the E.A.R is over ten years old, but that just shows how far ahead of the game Tim DeParavicini was):

OK - so, pros and cons of the ALO Studio Six, E.A.R HP4, and Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold (I also hate to get off-topic here - but hey its been asked right?):

Pros of the ALO Studio Six: has a particular advantage for those seeking to change the signature of their headphone amp now and again - with its tube-rolling capabilities, you can keep tinkering with this amp and discover differences! I've had mine for over a year now, and thanks to Ken Ball and @Currawong  - I've had all sorts of different listening experiences due to tube-rolling. The S6 also has four headphone outputs - which may not seem like a big deal to the average user - but for me, a reviewer, its a dream. I just plug the cans into the same source and swap em on my head to judge sonic differentials. This also comes in handy if you wanna get down with a couple of friends and have your own silent rave! NO JOKE - my wifey and her friend Gina have danced in my office many times - the three of us rockin' cans - to the Studio Six! I also love the textural quality of the sound of the S6 in my system - especially w/ the McIntosh D100 DAC! It's silky, far from muddy, and also capable of reproducing the emotive impact of the music. If I only owned the Studio Six as my top reference I'd still be ecstatic. It's a terrific amp, and on certain occasions I've preferred it to anything else.

Cons of the ALO Studio Six: No balanced input or output. This amp is terrific as-is, but I would LOVE to hear this thing balanced, which would change the damn design I know - but there have been many times recently where I choose balanced output as (depending on the resolution and power of the amp) I seem to gain dimensionality in balanced mode. 

Pros of the E.A.R HP4: It's also a tube-rollers paradise, utilizing 4 6SL7s. I've finally found a favorite combo (2 NOS vintage GE tubes and 2 NOS vintage RCA). It can also drive two low-impedance and two high-impedance cans at once with no strain. It's built like a Brick____house - and in all chrome it's very easy on the eyes for anyone, audio freak or no. But the bottom-line on the HP4 - which even with an industry accommodation price was a huge purchase for me: There's something magical about its sound. I know I sound like a dirty hippy - but with the right cans and associated equipment, it still feels like this amp cuts straight through to the music like no other, in terms of what I've called "emotive transference". The E.A.R still comes out ahead in my heart - but not necessarily in my ears all the time now. It's still got magic, but the Liquid Gold is close on its tail now. But I should stress it's still got a leg up in the sparkle department. Someday I'll tell the story of what @warrenpchi said/thought when he came over to hear the HP4 and S6 next to each other for the first time. It was one of those times when one is great, but... Tim DeParavicini not only loves music, and is a world-reknown engineer - its his work in the studio world that impresses me the most - and why I wanted to hear E.A.R in the first place years ago and fell in love with it! He's re-built tape machines for everyone from The Beatles to Pink Floyd and others - re-designed and built all sorts of studio gear for serious musicians. His stuff usually has a sweet, body-movin', toe-tappin' kind of quality. His 868 tube pre-amp brought my in-room stereo system to crazy new heights sonically!

Cons of the E.A.R HP4: Balanced input (which gives ya a lil' boost in the gain over SE - which is nice) but no balanced output! While that's a con, there's a reason for it: Nobody was using balanced headphones when Tim DeParavicini designed the damn thing. That's also a testament to his engineering and feel for design. The thing is 11+ years old and it's still at the top-level tier in headphone amplifiers. That's crazy. Other than that I don't have any cons - aside from the fact that changing tubes out takes alot of time and that seems like a pain in the a__ sometimes. You have to remove the chassis cover to change the tubes out. So when I'm tube-rolling with the thing, I keep the cover off the whole time. 

Pros of the Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold: Well, I've been falling in love with this amplifier more and more since it got installed in my system two months ago! I just scribed a review of the amp here on Head-Fi before my other reviews for Part-Time Audiophile and Audio360.org are published. This amplifier means bizness. It's got enormous power dynamically, despite what it might say on a white paper - this thing is a musical beast. It also plays well with others, as stated in my review here on Head-Fi, with regards to different styles of cans. I saw some people were complaining of noise with higher impedance cans - or cans plugged-in via SE (as Alex Cavalli smartly chose to use the Neutrik connectors that accept XLR and 1/4" on the faceplate) - but I experimented w/ my Audio Technica AD900X via SE thanks to the request of a fellow Head-Fier. While I heard a slight hiss when there was no music playing, when I pumped up the tunes it became inaudible - and also, as said in my review - coming from the stereo world that's sometimes an unfortunate part of the equation: a lil' noise when there's no music playing. I don't really care if the thing scours for satellites while I'm not listening to music. I care when the music's ON! So no complaint there. The volume knob is also smooth and makes it a pleasure to dial things in just right. I honestly like the feel of a sturdy knob - OMG - look how that reads - seriously though: AS its the little things that often show you if the people behind a product give a s___. This amps' transient attack is ferocious, like lightning (hence the name for his other amp - Liquid Lightning) but not harsh on the ears. The LAu is as musically dynamic as any solid state amp I've experienced, including high-end, in-room stereo power. It's glued itself to my ears like the HP4 did when I first heard it. And it keeps getting better!

Cons of the Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold: I don't have much! I'd love more outputs, but I believe he's remedied that with a new version. Looks like it include dedicated SE output and balanced, and more of them. Other than that - a medium gain setting would be NICE. I don't mind low and high, but I dig that about ALO portables - the 3-level gain switch. Sometimes the medium is just the ticket: No noise and plenty of power still. Aside of that - I have no qualms about the LAu. Except, maybe, that now I have to figure out a way to buy it!! :wink:

I also wanna tell you why I don't necessarily think of any of these amps as being "better" than another. I've been seeking three top reference headphone amplifiers for the Sonic Satori Personal Audio Lab (where I do all my reviews for various publications). I've ended up with more, w/ the McIntosh D100 pre/DAC/Hphone amp and the Burson Conductor! But there is a method to this madness, and I know it may not translate to many to of you younger than me. You see, when I worked for Harry Pearson at The Absolute Sound I was always amazed that he managed to keep THREE listening rooms intact, and all stuffed with contemporary and modern audio gear. All systems were terrific at all times, but some served difference purposes:

Room 3 was the big room (with Genesis 1 7-foot towers or Nola Grand References, Wilsons, etc.)
Room 2 was the smallest room - but my favorite, as it was rectangular, except for these slight angles at the end of the room (right and left) where the windows were.
With the right acoustic treatment it's one of my favorite listening rooms for stripped-down, singer/songwriter stuff and ambient music
Room 1 was the video room - which later became the multi-channel DSD/SACD Rm (yeah, hoe far ahead was he) - with 5 huge Magnepans for the speakers and all Edge 
Audio power. It was amazing it is musical scope and stage. I remember listening in that room, imagining I was in a concert hall, or an underground rave, depending on the music.

So I'm trying to amass the same type of varying reference systems for the SS Audio Lab, including great portable stuff too.

So far - All three of these amps, IMO, represent the current state-of-the-art in musical performance. That's also why I don't see things as "best"

It's music we're listening to after-all, right??

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I hear you on HP's 3 rooms. I have three turntables so can relate - AMG v12 with Benz LP-S, Spiral Groove Sg1.2 with Goldfinger statement, and innovation wood with Miyajima kansui and zero.
Love all three - for different reasons but if I had to choose one gun to the head I could.

So question to you is - gun to head if you had to keep only one which would it be? Typical reviewers would dodge the question in fear of pissing off a manufacturer - others would say yeah love them all but based on my preferences I choose.....

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #204 of 1,380
So question to you is - gun to head if you had to keep only one which would it be? Typical reviewers would dodge the question in fear of pissing off a manufacturer - others would say yeah love them all but based on my preferences I choose.....

Thanks @podeschi - for the wholehearted reply. And you're right! Typical reviewers would run for cover, tryin' not to piss people off.
But you asked, and this community is very important to me.

So - to be honest, and maybe it's because I'm listening right now via HD800s and Double Helix Molecule balanced w/ Fusion (OOOH MY GOD)
but I'm gonna say

Gun to my head: Liquid Gold

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #205 of 1,380

Thanks @podeschi - for the wholehearted reply. And you're right! Typical reviewers would run for cover, tryin' not to piss people off.
But you asked, and this community is very important to me.

So - to be honest, and maybe it's because I'm listening right now via HD800s and Double Helix Molecule balanced w/ Fusion (OOOH MY GOD)
but I'm gonna say

Gun to my head: Liquid Gold

You are my new favorite reviewer since you have a spine and a POV. Thanks. I remember hearing the first cavalli at ALO's storefront a few years ago and thinking it was the best I had ever heard. I need to check out the liquid gold now based on your recommendation.

Cheers.

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #206 of 1,380
Just spent 1 hour reading up on Liquid Gold and Liquid Glass. I am biased toward tubes on 95 percent of my equipment so thinking I should look at Liquid Glass. I like rich and textured harmonics. Glass over Gold??

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #207 of 1,380

This was listed as a CV1833 military tube on eBay. Seems to be more Mullard-like.

I need a bigger bowl now...

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #208 of 1,380
You are my new favorite reviewer since you have a spine and a POV. Thanks. I remember hearing the first cavalli at ALO's storefront a few years ago and thinking it was the best I had ever heard. I need to check out the liquid gold now based on your recommendation.

Cheers.

Thanks for the kind words! I greatly appreciate it!!
and I'm also all about tubes (hence my love for the Studio Six and E.A.R HP4)
so maybe you should give the lightning a try!!

This was listed as a CV1833 military tube on eBay. Seems to be more Mullard-like.

I need a bigger bowl now...

WOW - you and me both!
I'm eager to hear more OB2's - I really dug the Sylvania's - and then the Raytheons too - which seemed to lighten up a bit after a bunch of hours
(I also found the sound a little aggressive when em at first, as you did, in your original review).

I'm loving this Mullard 5AR4 Ken sent me!!
But I also dig the NOS Philips I got from Dan Meinwald at E.A.R!

I gotta shoot em out on my beloved Studio Six!

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #209 of 1,380
The Red Base GE 5692 (6SN7) is in. Didn't expect it to make as much difference as it has but it has taken things up a big notch from the more conservative-sounding PSVANE.

This will do it for now: GE red base (black plates), French 6K6, Military CV1833, Mullard metal base. It doesn't sound like I'm trading off dynamics and smoothness any longer with the HD-800s.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #210 of 1,380
  The Red Base GE 5692 (6SN7) is in. Didn't expect it to make as much difference as it has but it has taken things up a big notch from the more conservative-sounding PSVANE.

This will do it for now: GE red base (black plates), French 6K6, Military CV1833, Mullard metal base. It doesn't sound like I'm trading off dynamics and smoothness any longer with the HD-800s.

that looks LUSCIOUS @Currawong!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back