ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #1,201 of 1,380
Hi Tom - long time owner of the Studio 6. I’m loving it with my new LCD5’s. Plenty of effortless power (volume at 11 am). A great match!

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #1,202 of 1,380
Hi Tom - long time owner of the Studio 6. I’m loving it with my new LCD5’s. Plenty of effortless power (volume at 11 am). A great match!
Nice to hear your impressions.

The Studio-Six has long been a favored amplifier for use with Audeze‘s headphones, going all the way back to the Studio-Six release in June of 2013. It’s good to see this synergy continues with the release of the new LCD-5.

Back in 2012, when the Studio-Six was in development, the original hardwood LCD-2 (pre-Fazor) was Audeze’s *only* headphone, it’s flagship!

For a few years, the Studio-Six was consistently utilized by Audeze as their primary amplifier at trade shows, taking advantage of the Studio-Six’s ability to power four pairs of Audeze headphones simultaneously :darthsmile:

It’s quite remarkable —Audeze’s unfolding growth, product diversification and marketplace success over these last eight years…

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #1,203 of 1,380
Tonight's tube roll. From right to left.

-GZ34 metal base
-English Electric Valve Company OB2's
-Visseaux 6V6GT's metal base
-Marconi Canada 6SN7, tall bottle, copper support rods.

Attachments

• 20211022_193740.jpg
    20211022_193740.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Oct 23, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #1,204 of 1,380
I have a chance to get a lightly used demo unit for about 1500 usd. I mostly have Grados (ps500, ps2000e, rs2e, ps1000 and Hemp ), Beyer t1.1 and a few old Sennheisers (hd250, hd560 and hd540 600 Ohm). I guess all of those would pair nicely?

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #1,205 of 1,380
I have a chance to get a lightly used demo unit for about 1500 usd. I mostly have Grados (ps500, ps2000e, rs2e, ps1000 and Hemp ), Beyer t1.1 and a few old Sennheisers (hd250, hd560 and hd540 600 Ohm). I guess all of those would pair nicely?
That's insane value.

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #1,206 of 1,380
Maybe I should go for it then, I guess it is kinda endgame :)

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #1,207 of 1,380
Maybe I should go for it then, I guess it is kinda endgame :)
Totally agree with @Currawong. That's an amazing deal.

Come back and go through this thread when you get some time. Lots and lots of useful information regarding the Studio Six. Tube rolling suggestions, headphone pairings and on and on.

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #1,208 of 1,380
The Studio-Six will drive *all* of the headphones you list fantastically.

BTW: my spouse particularly likes using our Grados with the Studio-Six.

$1,500 is an incredible price. That’s actually not too far from ALO’s actual raw parts and materials costs just to build the unit.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #1,209 of 1,380
Big thanks to Head-Fier @Deyan for making this 6J5-->6SN7 tube adapters for me.

I took a little chance here. I'm not a huge believer in adding different adapters into amplifier circuits, thinking that these added points can also introduce added noise and distortion. I usually believe in keeping things as the designer intended.

But...

I have taken a page from the GOTL forum owners page and added 2x6J5's in place of 1x6SN7. The 6J5’S are MWT L63's. These are the straight glass envelope type. I have to say, I'm really very happy with the results. Increased separation, imaging and staging. The L63 also adds more body to the music. More meat on the bones, so to speak. And let me be clear, I've lost zero gain. I've added no audible noise. Really a beautiful addition and a successful experiment. The adapter and the pair of L63's will now be a full time thing for me and my Studio Six.
20211029_141217.jpg

Tube roll from right to left:

-GZ34 metal base
-English Electric Valve Company OB2's
-MWT L63(6J5) brown base, straight bottle

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #1,210 of 1,380
Big thanks to Head-Fier @Deyan for making these 6J5-->6SN7 tube adapters for me.

I took a little chance here. I'm not a huge believer in adding different adapters into amplifier circuits, thinking that these added points can also introduce added noise and distortion. I usually believe in keeping things as the designer intended.

But...

I have taken a page from the GOTL forum owners page and added 2x6J5's in place of 1x6SN7. The 6J5’S are MWT L63's. These are the straight glass envelope type. I have to say, I'm really very happy with the results. Increased separation, imaging and staging. The L63 also add more body to the music. More meat on the bones, so to speak. And let me be clear, I've lost zero gain. I've added no audible noise. Really a beautiful addition and a successful experiment. The adapter and the pair of L63's will now be a full time thing for me and my Studio Six.

Tube roll from right to left:

-GZ34 metal base
-English Electric Valve Company OB's
-MWT L63(6J5) brown base, straight bottle
Interesting!

Yes, within most electrical parameters, the 6J5 is in essence one triode-half of the dual-triode 6SN7.

In recent years the prices of NOS 6J5’s (I’m unaware of anyone currently manufacturing 6J5’s) have been rising due to an increased awareness/appreciation of the tube in audiophile circles, in combination with a finite and steadily diminishing supply.

Such an adapter clearly expands one’s options. I would hesitate to use such an adapter in radio circuits, but in audio applications such as is shown here with the Studio-Six, there will likely be not be a problem —assuming of course, the adapter is in fact designed properly and is electrically safe.

Thanks indeed for sharing your report

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #1,212 of 1,380
Hi all - I recently installed a Pope 6SN7GT to replace an RCA Red Base (which in turn replaced a sadly microphonic Tung Sol BGRP). I was concerned about paying USD500 for a single tube bearing in mind my experience with the Tung Sol but I could see that prices were only ever going upwards so took the plunge. I wasn’t expecting much of a difference. But it’s really quite a big upgrade. What an exceptional tube. Very clean sounding, silky smooth and holographic. Quite a bit more detail and transparency - really noticeable when listening to acoustic music - all the ambient cues are there... Better in every respect to my ears. How can it be smoother and more detailed and transparent at the same time? It’s even tamed the mid-forwardness on my LCD5 without the need for any EQ. I think that’s because they have opened up the treble - a bit more air - which helps to balance out the mids better. Brings them closer in that respect to the Susvara.

The upgrade is similar to when I swapped out my old Spring DAC for the Holo May. Bearing in mind the cost of upgrading to the May DAC you could argue that the Pope is a bit of a bargain…

Dec 12, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #1,213 of 1,380
You may also be benefitting from more hours on the LCD5's. My LCD-X's took a couple hundred hours to come fully into their own. Either way great to hear things have improved for you.

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #1,214 of 1,380
Hi All, Hopefully this doesn't sound silly but I have a HoloAudio Serene (plus speaker amp) on order and was thinking how I would put it in my chain with the my turntable, Studio Six and Phono. I'm wondering which one would be the most sensible (or safest, don't want to overload anything after all):

1. Turn Table > Phono Stage > RCA switch box > Studio Six or Serene
2. Turn Table > Phono Stage > Senere (RCA out) > Studio Six

The Serene has an RCA out and I could just lower the volume to acceptable levels, but not sure if that's the best option.

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #1,215 of 1,380
Hi All, Hopefully this doesn't sound silly but I have a HoloAudio Serene (plus speaker amp) on order and was thinking how I would put it in my chain with the my turntable, Studio Six and Phono. I'm wondering which one would be the most sensible (or safest, don't want to overload anything after all):

1. Turn Table > Phono Stage > RCA switch box > Studio Six or Serene
2. Turn Table > Phono Stage > Senere (RCA out) > Studio Six

The Serene has an RCA out and I could just lower the volume to acceptable levels, but not sure if that's the best option.
Are you planning on using your matching Studio-Six phono stage, or a phono stage from another manufacturer?

The ALO matching phono stage for the Studio-Six in this instance proposed should only be connected *directly* to the Studio-Six, and not through your HoloAudio preamplifier.

The Studio-Six phono stage is designed specifically to feed into the 100k Ohm input impedance of the Studio-Six amplifier, and is not compatible with any amplifier or preamplifier with less than a minimum of 50k Ohms input impedance. High distortion of the ALO Studio-Six phono stage would result if it is connected to loads of less than 50k Ohms. I see the HoloAudio Serene preamplifier has a very low 6.8k Ohm input impedance, and so it is unfortunately not compatible with the Studio-Six phono stage.

If, however, you are using a phono stage made by another company, then make sure the manufacturer specifies that the output of the phono stage is compatible with the very low 6.8k Ohm input impedance of the HoloAudio Serene preamplifier. If this is so, then either one of the two connection paths you show would work for you.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to private message me if you need further assistance.

—Thomas

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back