ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #1,231 of 1,380
Great comments on the Weiss! I have always enjoyed their DAC's. Very high end without the complete nosebleed price.

Apr 4, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #1,232 of 1,380
The Weiss DAC502 & DAC501 are outstanding!

I had the DAC502 in house for a few weeks to audition and I can tell you all that in Sept or October I'll actually purchase a DAC501 for my system. The DAC501 measures exactly the same as the DAC502 but is half size in chassis and only offers a 1/4" headphone jack. The smaller form factor works better for me and my desktop system.

The Weiss DAC502 & 501 push 3.4 vrms out at 0 dB via RCA outs. So at O dB you are getting maximum bit rate quality from the Weiss and no loss of dynamic range. And guess what???? The Studio Six can this 3.4 vrms signal from the Weiss with no clipping and no distortion!

My current DAC the Chord Qutest can push a 3 volt signal(it's what I run) to the Studio Six with no issues. But I wasn't sure if the Weiss at 3.4 volts would be too much. Sometimes you have to get your hands on the equipment and the gear into your own system to test for yourself. And yes, no issues what so ever.

The Weiss DAC502 that I had on loan offers a very clear, natural and transparent view into the music. Weather is was a very well recorded and mastered tune or a poorly recorded "field recordings" from the 1930's and 40's(think Mississippi Delta Blues) the Weiss extracted tons of information from the recording to give you a deeper ear into the music. This all happens without being clinical or sterile. Very natural and organic and very transparent.

I didn't have the Weiss DAC502 in hand long enough to really get into the DSP options. That it almost another kettle of fish.

But this DAC struck me. So much so that in September or October, layer this year I'll go ahead and put an order in.

The Weiss is a real precision machine that does its job better than some of the other big names in DACs that I've also auditioned over the last 6-8 months. I think even with positive press it seems to fly under the radar. But in my opinion, for what you get, I think these Weiss DACs have to be in the conversation as to what a real TOTL DAC is in 2022. Add in Weiss' commitment to adding in new firmware updates when needed and I think this is a DAC that one could live with for a very long time.

I wanted to add that the Weiss DAC502 that I auditioned had all TOTL Furutech connections. The chassis was milled and chamfered to precise specs. I mean, this DAC doesn't just deliver the goods sonically. It's also reserved statement piece.
Interesting report on the Weiss 501 and 502 DACs. Sounds like you’re contemplating investment in a very competent unit!

On your input signal voltage concerns with the Studio-Six:

You will not hurt the Studio-Six with a 4-Volt line input level, or even a 10-volt line input level.

You need not worry. The volume potentiometer is at the very input of the Studio-Six and so the voltage going to the first amplification stages is fully dependent upon the setting of of the volume control.

With a 2-Volt RMS line input from a source such as a DAC, phono-preamp etc, one can use essentially the entire range of the Studio-Six volume control without the unit going into clipping at the maximum volume control setting. In contrast, the amplifier will simply play relatively louder at any given volume control knob setting when the line input level from a source is relatively higher, and so selecting the desired volume level may require a softer touch since the usable volume control range will be reduced.

With higher level inputs (above 2-Volts RMS) the result will simply be that the maximum volume control setting before onset of maximum amplifier output will be reduced, and so it therefore becomes possible to overdrive the amplifier into clipping before maximum volume knob setting is reached. The clipping of the amplifier would be sufficiently audible to indicate the need to reduce the volume control setting, and so that’s no real problem.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #1,233 of 1,380
Interesting report on the Weiss 501 and 502 DACs. Sounds like you’re contemplating investment in a very competent unit!

On your input signal voltage concerns with the Studio-Six:

You will not hurt the Studio-Six with a 4-Volt line input level, or even a 10-volt line input level.

You need not worry. The volume potentiometer is at the very input of the Studio-Six and so the voltage going to the first amplification stages is fully dependent upon the setting of of the volume control.

With a 2-Volt RMS line input from a source such as a DAC, phono-preamp etc, one can use essentially the entire range of the Studio-Six volume control without the unit going into clipping at the maximum volume control setting. In contrast, the amplifier will simply play relatively louder at any given volume control knob setting when the line input level from a source is relatively higher, and so selecting the desired volume level may require a softer touch since the usable volume control range will be reduced.

With higher level inputs (above 2-Volts RMS) the result will simply be that the maximum volume control setting before onset of maximum amplifier output will be reduced, and so it therefore becomes possible to overdrive the amplifier into clipping before maximum volume knob setting is reached. The clipping of the amplifier would be sufficiently audible to indicate the need to reduce the volume control setting, and so that’s no real problem.
This is what a well engineered product should be.

Jun 24, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #1,234 of 1,380
Heads-up folks.

I understand ALO is now offering a third color version for the Studio-Six, in addition to the existing silver or black options:

The new ’Tuxedo’ version of the Studio-Six is an eclectic combination of silver *and* black chassis components :relaxed:

Hopefully ALO will present some pics of this new version soon.

No guarantees on how many Tuxedo units will be made, nor how long production of this version will continue…

Contact ALO for more info if interested.

—Thomas

Jul 4, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #1,238 of 1,380
No pictures on the website but it is an order option.

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #1,241 of 1,380
So do the tubes have little penguin costumes on them? Would you tube waddle them instead of tube rolling?
Interesting questions.

I guess it would depend upon whether or not Penguins were the only things conceivable in the known world that one might associate with anything else similarly possessing two-tone black and white coloration.

By extension, perhaps we might conclude Oreo cookies originate from within the Arctic and/or Antarctic Circle/s? Or perhaps surmise that dominoes shelter their vulnerable offspring from severe cold under thick folds of blubber? And… what about eight balls? :8ball:

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #1,242 of 1,380
Interesting questions.

I guess it would depend upon whether or not Penguins were the only things conceivable in the known world that one might associate with anything else similarly possessing two-tone black and white coloration.

By extension, perhaps we might conclude Oreo cookies originate from within the Arctic and/or Antarctic Circle/s? Or perhaps surmise that dominoes shelter their vulnerable offspring from severe cold under thick folds of blubber? And… what about eight balls? :8ball:
Pondering whether those cookies come from the Artic and/or Antarctic is a chilling thought, to say the least! I would have assume the association was more based on their rich, creamy 'mid-range'?!

Domino offspring are clearly well sheltered, which is why they are hard to spot! Eightballs goes a long way toward explaining the 'waddle'!

Here's to hoping that we have more music, joy, warmth and humor in our lives, and less hatred, shooting and violence. (Highland Park is not that far from whwre I live.- much sadness, but humor can serve as a coping mechanism,.

Jul 6, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #1,243 of 1,380
Incredible these things keep happening.

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #1,244 of 1,380
Heads-up folks.

I understand ALO is now offering a third color version for the Studio-Six, in addition to the existing silver or black options:

The new ’Tuxedo’ version of the Studio-Six is an eclectic combination of silver *and* black chassis components :relaxed:

Hopefully ALO will present some pics of this new version soon.

No guarantees on how many Tuxedo units will be made, nor how long production of this version will continue…

Contact ALO for more info if interested.

—Thomas

Nice to see ALO is still kicking it with the Studio Six and churning out new color combos!

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #1,245 of 1,380
Mine has been awesome for many years now. I have no plans to upgrade other than tube rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back