ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #1,216 of 1,380
Is your phono stage the matching Studio-Six phono stage, or is it from another manufacturer?

If you have the ALO matching phono stage for the Studio-Six, then this phono stage should only be connected *directly* to the Studio-Six,
and not through your HoloAudio preamplifier.

The Studio-Six phono stage is designed specifically to feed into the 100k Ohm input impedance of the Studio-Six amplifier, and is not compatible with any amplifier or preamplifier with less than a minimum of 50k Ohms input impedance. High distortion of the ALO Studio-Six phono stage would result if fed to loads of less than 50k Ohms. I see the HoloAudio Serene preamplifier has a very low 6.8k Ohm input impedance, and so it is unfortunately not compatible with the Studio-Six phono stage.

If, however, you are using a phono stage made by another company, then make sure the manufacturer specifies that the output of the phono stage is compatible with the very low 6.8k Ohm input impedance of the HoloAudio Serene preamplifier. If this is so, then either one of the two connection paths you show work for you.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to private message me if you need further assistance.

—Thomas
Thomas thanks for always being available to help and advise with the amp that we all love so much.

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #1,217 of 1,380
Hi All, Hopefully this doesn't sound silly but I have a HoloAudio Serene (plus speaker amp) on order and was thinking how I would put it in my chain with the my turntable, Studio Six and Phono. I'm wondering which one would be the most sensible (or safest, don't want to overload anything after all):

1. Turn Table > Phono Stage > RCA switch box > Studio Six or Serene
2. Turn Table > Phono Stage > Senere (RCA out) > Studio Six

The Serene has an RCA out and I could just lower the volume to acceptable levels, but not sure if that's the best option.
BTW:

The Studio-Six can drive efficient loudspeakers of 93dB or more to quite satisfying levels in an average home listening room.

You simply need two speaker cables (15 to 25 feet long each is a versatile length), each with a 1/4” stereo phone plug on one end. One of the cables would have it’s lines soldered only to the common/ground and Right connections of it’s stereo phone plug, and the other cable would have its lines soldered only two the common/ground and Left connections of its stereo phone plug.

The above set of speaker cables can simply be plugged into any two adjacent headphone jacks of the Studio-Six when loudspeaker use is desired. The cables can be looped neatly, and run directly underneath the Studio-Six chassis, out from the back of the amplifier and on to the L and R speakers.

There are two loudspeakers in particular which I have much personal experience with using in conjunction with the Studio-Six, and these I can easily recommend. Both are currently made in the USA, each retailing for less than $2,000 USD per-pair.

First is the Compact Alnico Monitors by Omega Audio. These are my current main home loudspeakers (in fact I’m listening to them now with the Studio-Six as I type this post.) They are an incredible balance of compactness/convenience and exceptional sound quality. These play quite loudly with only 1-watt, and are exceptionally detailed, rich and full sounding. The also are relatively fast, and work well with all music types from classical to jazz, rock and electronica. These are an extremely revealing loudspeaker, but not “antiseptic“ or excessively clinical in presentation. The bass is limited below perhaps 45hz, but is nonetheless articulate and satisfying:

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/colle...ts/compact-alnico-monitor?variant=32172350732

Also I have extensive experience with the Lore model speakers by Tekton Design. These are relatIvey large, very efficient floorstanding loudspeakers, and can play with *unbelievably* loudness and force when driven by the Studio-Six. These are just a little less revealing and subtle than the Omega monitors I presently have, but what they do have is *very* good bass extension and impact and are still quite revealing of recordings and ancillary equipment variations. These speaker sound big and effortless even at high volume. Excellent rock speakers, but in truth also sound natural and fantastic with essentially all music genres, much like the Compact monitors. Only reason I sold these after two years of owning them was I desired smaller speakers due to a home move and lifestyle changes:

https://tektondesign.com/product/full-range-speakers/full-towers/lore/#color

At some point, when I can accommodate the size/weight, I would like to obtain another pair of Tekton floorstanding loudspeakers to compliment my Omega monitors (yes, the Omega monitors are almost certainly lifetime “keepers” here. ). The pair of Tektons I would most consider trying presently would be the Uruz, which seem to advance the Lore model’s core concept, but with more advanced tweeters:

https://tektondesign.com/product/full-range-speakers/full-towers/uruz/#color

I present the above only as “food for thought “, and to illustrate that the Studio-Six is quite capable of being the foundation of a very credible high-end two-channel home system when paired with suitably compatible high-efficiency loudspeakers.

After all these years, I still find it surprising what only 1-Watt of well-delivered power from a good triode amplifier can accomplish.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #1,218 of 1,380
Are you planning on using your matching Studio-Six phono stage, or a phono stage from another manufacturer?

The ALO matching phono stage for the Studio-Six in this instance proposed should only be connected *directly* to the Studio-Six, and not through your HoloAudio preamplifier.

The Studio-Six phono stage is designed specifically to feed into the 100k Ohm input impedance of the Studio-Six amplifier, and is not compatible with any amplifier or preamplifier with less than a minimum of 50k Ohms input impedance. High distortion of the ALO Studio-Six phono stage would result if it is connected to loads of less than 50k Ohms. I see the HoloAudio Serene preamplifier has a very low 6.8k Ohm input impedance, and so it is unfortunately not compatible with the Studio-Six phono stage.

If, however, you are using a phono stage made by another company, then make sure the manufacturer specifies that the output of the phono stage is compatible with the very low 6.8k Ohm input impedance of the HoloAudio Serene preamplifier. If this is so, then either one of the two connection paths you show would work for you.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to private message me if you need further assistance.

—Thomas

Thanks for the reply. That definitely answers my question. :)

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #1,219 of 1,380
I need their batteries.
Used to have 10 hrs.
Now, down to 6 to 6.5 hrs of play time.
Still have the CDM though but it's hot to carry around...just replaced CDM recently....
CV5 is addicted to hear with tubey sound.

I can't DM you due to your settings but if you want to get rid of you CDM I'd be happy to purchase it.

Feb 23, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #1,221 of 1,380
I'm running Shunyata Research Venom NR, 15 amp cable into my Studio Six. Really outstanding performance. The Shunyata Noise Reduction line of power cables are designed to minimize noise and distortion or interface all while allowing access to full current delivery. Highly recommend.

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #1,225 of 1,380
On another note. I think the Weiss DAC502 should be arriving today for an at home audition.

Really looking forward to hearing how this plays with the Studio Six.
Looking forward to your impressions. I have been looking at this DAC as well.

Feb 23, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #1,226 of 1,380
Well the Weiss DAC502 has arrived.

I realize this isn't a Weiss DAC thread so I promise to do my best to relate how the DAC plays with the Studio Six.

I haven't had a chance to do much close listening. More just a quick setup. I will say that the 3.4 volts the Weiss puts out via RCA is easily taken by the Studio Six. No clipping or other issues that can happen with too hot of a signal. I was hoping this was the case.

Currently running 3 volts out of the Chord Qutest so the .4 volts difference between the Qutest and Weiss DAC502 isn't massive but still could have been a deal breaker. But none issue.

Impressions on how it sounds with the Studio Six to follow.

20220223_153237.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #1,227 of 1,380
Well the Weiss DAC502 has arrived.

I realize this isn't a Weiss DAC thread so I promise to do my best to relate how the DAC plays with the Studio Six.

I haven't had a chance to do much close listening. More just a quick setup. I will say that the 3.4 volts the Weiss puts out via RCA is easily taken by the Studio Six. No clipping or other issues that can happen with too hot of a signal. I was hoping this was the case.

Now I run 3 volts out of the Chord Qutest so the .4 volts difference between the Qutest and Weiss DAC502 isn't massive but still could have been a deal breaker. But none issue.

Impressions on how it sounds with the Studio Six to follow.

20220223_153237.jpg
What’s the verdict :)

Apr 2, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #1,229 of 1,380
It's going really well. I have the Weiss DAC502 thru the middle of next week. I'll post a few impressions later.

But suffice to say it easily keeps company with the likes of DAVE & Tambaqui.

More to come...
A very good friend of mine has long used a Weiss ADC for his professional mastering work.

Weiss is a very serious company that makes technically excellent products.

I certainly look forward to hearing your impressions of the Weiss DAC.

Apr 4, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #1,230 of 1,380
The Weiss DAC502 & DAC501 are outstanding!

I had the DAC502 in house for a few weeks to audition and I can tell you all that in Sept or October I'll actually purchase a DAC501 for my system. The DAC501 measures exactly the same as the DAC502 but is half size in chassis and only offers a 1/4" headphone jack. The smaller form factor works better for me and my desktop system.

The Weiss DAC502 & 501 push 3.4 vrms out at 0 dB via RCA outs. So at O dB you are getting maximum bit rate quality from the Weiss and no loss of dynamic range. And guess what???? The Studio Six can this 3.4 vrms signal from the Weiss with no clipping and no distortion!

My current DAC the Chord Qutest can push a 3 volt signal(it's what I run) to the Studio Six with no issues. But I wasn't sure if the Weiss at 3.4 volts would be too much. Sometimes you have to get your hands on the equipment and the gear into your own system to test for yourself. And yes, no issues what so ever.

The Weiss DAC502 that I had on loan offers a very clear, natural and transparent view into the music. Weather is was a very well recorded and mastered tune(Bill Frisell, Weather Report, Serge Gainsbourg) or a poorly recorded "field recordings" from the 1930's and 40's(think Mississippi Delta Blues & John & Alan Lomax, and his outstanding field recordings) the Weiss extracted tons of information from the recording to give you a deeper ear into the music. This all happens without being clinical or sterile. Very natural and organic and very transparent.

I didn't have the Weiss DAC502 in hand long enough to really get into the DSP options. That it almost another kettle of fish.

But this DAC struck me. So much so that in September or October, later this year I'll go ahead and put an order in.

The Weiss is a real precision machine that does its job better than some of the other big names in DACs that I've also auditioned over the last 6-8 months. I think even with positive press it seems to fly under the radar. But in my opinion, for what you get, I think these Weiss DACs have to be in the conversation as to what a real TOTL DAC is in 2022. Add in Weiss' commitment to adding in new firmware updates when needed and I think this is a DAC that one could live with for a very long time.

I wanted to add that the Weiss DAC502 that I auditioned had all TOTL Furutech connections. The chassis was milled and chamfered to precise specs. I mean, this DAC doesn't just deliver the goods sonically. It's also a reserved statement piece.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back