ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #706 of 1,380
  Take a look at www.tctubes.com  They have great products and service!

Hey, good tube vendor suggestion. I just skimmed some of their tubes.

I see they have a matched pair of NOS GE 6V6GTA tubes for $69 Hmmm...

I'm almost tempted to snag those myself, but will exercise restraint
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #708 of 1,380
Sourcing NOS tubes is tough. When you find a seller who delivers stick with them.

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #709 of 1,380
You know, I'm starting to wonder if J.J. has perhaps modified/improved their 6V6 tubes in the few years since I last heard them?

I probably should give the most current J.J. production a second listen, seeing as how I'm a 6V6 tube proponent and have been making recommendations
redface.gif

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #710 of 1,380
Cheap and available is a nice combination....

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #711 of 1,380
anybody else tried these GE 6V6's? Are they an upgrade from the JJ's? I might give them a try, just returned the Brimar's & Bendix's today.

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #712 of 1,380
I am using a pair of Jan Philips 6V6GT's. Best I have found so far.

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #714 of 1,380
Ok thanks, just ordered the GE 6v6's from tctubes. Hopefully those will work better than the Brimar/Bendix's did. If not I might look into the Jan's next. Just curious, how would you compare the two?

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #715 of 1,380
  Ok thanks, just ordered the GE 6v6's from tctubes. Hopefully those will work better than the Brimar/Bendix's did. If not I might look into the Jan's next. Just curious, how would you compare the two?

I have a feeling you might like those GE 6V6s. If not, then I would *probably* be willing to take them off your hands --Ha!

You know, I have limited experience with the JAN Philips 6V6s longbowbbs recommends. I do recall them quite sounding good, as have the Sylvania JAN 6V6's I've heard. The NOS 6V6 tubes I have the most listening time with are the GE, RCA and Tung Sol brands.

Look on the bright side: If you don't feel the GE's or the Philips add significant additional qualities to your sound reproduction over the particular J.J.'s you have, then consider yourself lucky. You could be finished with the rigmarole of tube rolling, and instead simply enjoy exploring more music! :)

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #716 of 1,380

I have a feeling you might like those GE 6V6s. If not, then I would *probably* be willing to take them off your hands --Ha!

You know, I have limited experience with the JAN Philips 6V6s longbowbbs recommends. I do recall them quite sounding good, as have the Sylvania JAN 6V6's I've heard. The NOS 6V6 tubes I have the most listening time on are the GE, RCA and Tung Sol brands.

Look on the bright side: If you don't feel the GE's or the Philips add significant additional qualities to your sound reproduction over the particular J.J.'s you have, then consider yourself lucky. You could be finished with the rigmarole of tube rolling, and instead simply enjoy exploring more music! :)

Good points, thanks again for all the help, hopefully this will do it for me for a while anyway.

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #718 of 1,380
$4000 is too much money. At least it's like the best sound amp out there from what I've read. You can't do much better.
Well I've demoed it against some other $4000 amps (LAu, Moon NEO 430 HAD) and i still prefer the 6. No doubt it's expensive but you only live once and it's certainly worth it to me.

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #719 of 1,380
True. When spending $4000, you better make sure it's the one that'll give you lifetime pleasure, kind of like committing to marriage.

Simaudio is more for speakers than hps, it's hp output is more of an accessory. The company is one of the very top at making gear for home speaker use.

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #720 of 1,380
Yeah I just did a demo of that one but I also bought the Liquid Gold because I second guessed myself about buying the right "lifetime" amp. While I loved the LAu and admit it was certainly a great amp I still preferred the Studio Six so I have no regrets about buying it now, still the best amp I've ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back