ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Oct 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #676 of 1,084

My concern with the Continental is two fold: heat issue and battery live. 95% of my listening is on the go, so my rig is nestled in a messenger bag most of the time. Stacked, even with bands acting as spacers between components AND being inside a closed bag might cause some heat issues, degrading the overall battery life. The HD 650's certainly offer the nicest presentation out of all my cans, but being open they're not well suited for use in public (I like to drive them :wink: )

Listening to a variety of music with an emphasis on classic rock I wonder if the smoothness of the V3 won't be lost in the mix. My source materials are all.wav files of Japanese masters, Audio Fidelity, MFSL, etc. I suppose the benchmark for me is to have Steely Dan sound fuller than it does on the National CLAS -R pairing. 

The one thing that sticks out in my mind is the ALO reply that the Rx-MK3 B+ has a more clinical sound: do you find that to be true with your set-up?

There will definitely be the issue of heat with the Continental after several hours of play - especially if it is enclosed in a bag. Whether that will make the battery life shorter is anyone's guess. I guess it also depends on the weather 
etysmile.gif
 Over here in the tropics, the day temperature is enough to kill me 
etysmile.gif

As for the sound, I know the RX-Mk3 B+ is definitely more powerful and maybe more neutral sounding (compared to the Continental). I would consider the sound of the Continental quite similar to the RSA Intruder (not sure if you have heard the RSA before). To me, the Continental is not all that warm sounding for a tube amp 
etysmile.gif
 Since I use mainly sensitive iems, the hissing from the RX Mk3 B+ is a turn off - for me.

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #677 of 1,084
The one thing that sticks out in my mind is the ALO reply that the Rx-MK3 B+ has a more clinical sound: do you find that to be true with your set-up?

I have the Rx-Mk3-B+ (Pan Am too) and I love it. I would not describe it as clinical, in fact I would not assign it any particular sound characteristics. It passes through the character of the source. What it does have in abundance is power - enough to drive many phones to better sonic levels of performance than other portable amps. The bass adjustment is terrific - it is not overdone - and allows you to tweak the right amount of low end without losing highs/resolution. I highly recommend it. BTW, my HD 650's sound great with it when using a HiFiMan HM-602 source. With an iBasso DX50 as source, not so good (although the DX50 is killer good with other phones). So, I guess a warmer source/DAC is better for the 650 with this amp.

I also use a Meier Corda Stepdance (with 15V power supply) as my second portable setup. It is excellent, but the Rx-Mk3-B+ takes it up a notch with the extra power.

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #678 of 1,084
I have the Rx-Mk3-B+ (Pan Am too) and I love it. I would not describe it as clinical, in fact I would not assign it any particular sound characteristics. It passes through the character of the source. What it does have in abundance is power - enough to drive many phones to better sonic levels of performance than other portable amps. The bass adjustment is terrific - it is not overdone - and allows you to tweak the right amount of low end without losing highs/resolution. I highly recommend it. BTW, my HD 650's sound great with it when using a HiFiMan HM-602 source. With an iBasso DX50 as source, not so good (although the DX50 is killer good with other phones). So, I guess a warmer source/DAC is better for the 650 with this amp.

I also use a Meier Corda Stepdance (with 15V power supply) as my second portable setup. It is excellent, but the Rx-Mk3-B+ takes it up a notch with the extra power.

Thanks for the thorough description. I ordered the Rx-Mk3-B+ today, with any luck I should arrive in Prague within the next week. Then another few days to clear customs and I'll start the burn in process...Impressions to follow! I'm curious to hear the differences between the HD650s, HD 25's, Momentums and M-100's. My SE 535 will probably go up on the block for sale, from what everyone is says IEMs are not the way to go with the Mk3, which is understandable because they sound poor with my ALO National/CLAS pairing as well. Stay tuned and thanks again!

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #679 of 1,084
Thanks for the thorough description. I ordered the Rx-Mk3-B+ today, with any luck I should arrive in Prague within the next week. Then another few days to clear customs and I'll start the burn in process...Impressions to follow! I'm curious to hear the differences between the HD650s, HD 25's, Momentums and M-100's. My SE 535 will probably go up on the block for sale, from what everyone is says IEMs are not the way to go with the Mk3, which is understandable because they sound poor with my ALO National/CLAS pairing as well. Stay tuned and thanks again!

Congratulations! I think you will be happy with your decision.

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #681 of 1,084
Hey R Scott, putting aside different sizes and intended uses etc, how do you find sound of MK3B+ vs Pan Am. The pricing is somewhat close

I think the Pam Am has a more refined presentation, and I believe this is due to the fact that you can tube roll and find the best match for whatever headphones you are using. The Rx is like a big, powerful Swiss Army knife - it does everything well with a wide variety of headphones. As for frequency response/coloration/sound staging - they are both excellent and I can't really point to any specific differences. The Pam Am gives me a feeling of elegance and refinement of sound, while the Rx delivers a feeling of fullness and a rich sound that I have never experienced with any other portable amp. I get to listen to truly audiophile quality sound while walking the dog - can it get any better than that? :)

Frankly, I love both the Pan Am and the Rx-Mk3 B+ and I would not be without either one. They each perform a specific task for me - total portability with the Rx; semi-portability with the Pan Am. Frankly, the Pan Am often equals (and in many cases exceeds) larger and more expensive amps that I own with superb 6AK5 family tube selections that are far less expensive than the top of the line 6DJ8 tubes needed to get the best from the larger amps.

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #682 of 1,084
Source : iPhone 5
Dac : Venture Craft Go Dap DD1 LE 12 Volt Opa627SM
Amp : Alo Audio Mk3-B
IEM : Tralucent 1 plus 2 gold silver cable(old type)
Cable : Wagnus mini to mini

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #683 of 1,084
  I have a Mk III-b and use it with single ended input and balanced output... so can confirm this works fine.  

Just went and tried AK120 > MK-3b > balanced output to my se846 but no sound detected? Tried the same setup but by swapping the Mk-3b with the International, it works. Is there something wrong with my setup or the equipment itself?

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #684 of 1,084

Just went and tried AK120 > MK-3b > balanced output to my se846 but no sound detected? Tried the same setup but by swapping the Mk-3b with the International, it works. Is there something wrong with my setup or the equipment itself?

Did you hit the switch to change to the balanced output?

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #687 of 1,084
  Yes, we did fiddle with the selection but it doesn't work. I thought the single/balanced selection applies for amp input? Will go and try again later...

J60868,

Sorry your having trouble with this. Please flip the switch on the back of the amp closest to the "B", send the audio in, into the 4 pin balanced input on the back of the amp. If this does not work then please use our RMA process to have it returned for prompt service, repair or replacement.

http://www.aloaudio.com/returns

PM me if you have any questions!

Thanks

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 11, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #688 of 1,084
Hi there,

I am a recent very happy owner of an Rx-Mk3-B. I mainly use it to balance-drive my HE-6s and it sounds amazingly good.

However I would like to use the amp to SE-drive my very sensitive CIEMs and, as it happens to many folks here, I get the very noticeable ugly hiss.

My question is: Is there a way to decrease the gain for the single ended output? (I think that I read somewhere that ALO increased the gain of the SE output to match the volume to the balanced one)

Cheers

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #689 of 1,084
Source : iPhone 5
Dac : Venture Craft Go Dap DD1 LE 12 Volt Opa627SM
Amp : Alo Audio Mk3-B
IEM : Tralucent 1 plus 2 gold silver cable(old type)
Cable : Wagnus mini to mini

Hi Bootsy

Can I ask about your cable? Is that an lightning cable or is the case surrounding the iphone convert it into a mini-usb?

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #690 of 1,084
J60868,

Sorry your having trouble with this. Please flip the switch on the back of the amp closest to the "B", send the audio in, into the 4 pin balanced input on the back of the amp. If this does not work then please use our RMA process to have it returned for prompt service, repair or replacement.

http://www.aloaudio.com/returns

PM me if you have any questions!

Thanks

ken

Thanks for the reply. I went for the international in the end.. the hiss is unbearable on my 846 using balanced silver cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back