ALO Audio Continental V3 Impressions and Appreciation Thread
Jan 30, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #61 of 145
Has anyone compared the performance and sound signature difference between the and the V2 and the V3?
As they are using different tubes, Raytheon 6111 NOS for the V2 and the Thomson 6111 Nos for the V3, I am worried that the new Thomson might not perform as well as the old raytheon and thinking of picking up the V2 while my local audio store before they run out of stock.

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #62 of 145
Quote:
Has anyone compared the performance and sound signature difference between the and the V2 and the V3?
As they are using different tubes, Raytheon 6111 NOS for the V2 and the Thomson 6111 Nos for the V3, I am worried that the new Thomson might not perform as well as the old raytheon and thinking of picking up the V2 while my local audio store before they run out of stock.

Yes, this is somewhat bizarre, V2`s Raytheon tube did not need `150 hours` of `breaking in`. 150 hours represents about 30 battery charges and that is about 10 % of the estimated 300 battery charges this battery can take before its capacity to hold an electric charge dips below 80 to 70 % capacity of a new battery. At 70 % a battery is spent, it will discharge relatively quickly. So you lose 10 % of this amp lifetime just for the circuit or tube to settle in. 
V2 sounds great and I was planning to buy another one for the future use and keep it in a fridge. V2 is so good that I actually think that when ALO Audio tinkered with it to make a better V3 version it actually made it a bit less good than V2. I`ll have to hear the V3 version to believe the claim that it is improved.

Another matter, we still do not know the Ohm value, or the output impedance, of the headphone out of the Continental. Does anybody know ?

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #63 of 145
Hi guys. Just want to ask question..is okay to use this amps by stacking together under the ipod? I am worried about the head will effect the duarability of its battery life. Is that true? Tx guys.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #69 of 145
I am also looking at pairing something with the AK120.  I am concerned about battery life on the Continental, but am wondering whether running CIEMs with it at lower volumes will produce a better battery life.  7 or 8 hours for a new battery is not great.  If it was designed so you could replace or swap the battery out on the go it would make life a lot easier for long haul flights and the like.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #73 of 145
Just received a loan from a friend for conti v3. I took my time for a while to compare with my Portatube amp. The Continental V3 sounding like no tube. My portatube has more tubey sound than it. This Conti V3 tends to be matched with a fullsize cans. The sound is very good. I would say the sound is cleaner than the portatube. The sound image is excellent. When i listen through my HD800, using setup like IPC/ClasDB/CV3, the sound is beautiful. I can picture the vocal is like "real". I think the clarity of this amps is one that need to be considered. This amp is a tube amp, but i don't hear any tube character from it. The portatube has indeed more tubey character. I can hear the vocal is more forward and more lush presented, just like a tube amps.

The highs of both amps is very smooth. But the V3 has more treble than my portatube, so that makes V3 wins in term of detail and clarity. But portatube is not bad either (i would consider portatube is VERY good eventhough it has that tubey sound).

The mids, portatube has more body to it, a tad more forward, and more lush. And the V3 has a better texture and resolution. Listening to vocal jazz with V3 is very nice. I hear the vocal is very clear and the sound image, once again is quite stunning. I really like it. But again, i wouldn't say V3's sound is like a tube amp. Listening to music with less instruments and more vocal presentation, the portatube is a very sweet performer and the sound is more relaxing than the V3.

For the bass, the portatube has more quantity of bass. The bass of Portatube is warmer and a bit punchier. The depth of the bass i would consider to be the same. But again, the V3 has better texture to it. The bass is more accurate and hit more solid compared to portatube.

For sound stage, i think they are about the same. But i do feel the sound from portatube is somewhat "bigger" than V3.

Power wise, the V3 has more power than Portatube. I can drive easily my HD800 by using V3+Clasdb, at high gain with 60% of volume, while on the portatube, i have to use HPP1 dac (volume 80%) to get the same level of the V3+calsdb. Please note...the power output from Clasdb is very small. If i pair any of my amp with clas db, the gain is somehow a bit reduced. I don't know why. If i pair Portatube with clasdb, i can not drive my HD800 or my T1 to a maximum suitable level of my hearing. So that is why i prefer to use HPP1 dac as to support the power output from my portatube.

The problem with the V3, i feel like this amps is more suitable for a fullsize cans. For iem use, i can hear the HISS quite clearly (with music OFF). Using my Westone 4R, the hiss is very hearable, But using the more sensitive iem like UM3x, the hiss is way too loud, is like hearing the drizzling rain falling from my outside windows. The portatube, is very quite and i mean dead silent. No Hiss at all.

Considering how good this V3 driving my full size cans, i might take a change to own it. But i need more time listening before i take my decision.

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #75 of 145
I never owned a desktop tube amp. So I never really did comparison side to side. But friends of mine got Woo WA02 and Woo WA6SE. If WA6 sound similar to WA6SE then it could be similar to the V3. The WA6SE is less tubey and less warmth (or colder) compared to WA2. If i want to make parable, that would be like:

Continental V3 - is more to WA6SE
POrtatube - is more to WA02

Last night i did further comparison between V3 vs Portatube again. The results was still the same. The V3 wins for the clarity and sound image. Listening to my Hd800 and hd650 was very detail and transparent and so engaging. But POrtatube has that warmer tubey character (and a tad forward mids presentation), and some vocal song i think i prefer listening from my portatube because of its lush/thicker mids (more relaxing).

It was a different story when i use my laptop + dacport LX as a source. By using this combination..i think portatube is really shine. The mids was more revealing and that "lush" sensation was so really beautiful (especially when i use my T1). Swapping to V3...the result was not good enough. The V3 sound was becoming exactly like a solid state amp. And some song i hear the vocal was a bit too harsh and piercing. So i guess the V3 is better to go with portable DAC like HPP1 or CLAS. But the POrtatube is so much improved when sourced with laptop+dacportlx.

I think (75%) i might get this V3 for my self. This is a demo unit, so i got to wait until the new stock has arrived at my local seller. The only thing concerned me is that this amp is not that good for IEM because the hiss is just too loud. With music ON, at 10% volume i can still hear that hiss using IEMs. But that hiss is gone away when i used fullsize cans (except my ATH3000ANV still also got that hiss, but softer).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back