Almost made up my mind. Just want to make sure its the right one this time.
Feb 8, 2011 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Djdude

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, been reading the forums for a little while now :) decided to sign up and get some advice..

My main uses of my headphones is PC gaming and Music at home and in the car. (mainly trance but also like acoustic albums, and metal. "i know i want it all right :p

A while back i asked my a friend to recommend me some headphones, and after doing little reading and making a rushed purchase i ended up with some 'Beats Studios' (flame me later, i know i know. but i did get them cheap at least :p) so as it was an introduction into higher(ish) quality headphones, i wanted more quality. way more.

But after a while i became immune to their good looks and marketing hype, i switched on a bit and started noticing the lower quality of sound compared to what i was used to with my Home theater system. So i now have the beats for sale, and I'm looking to invest in some serious headphones, 

I've almost settled on a pair, my limit was about AU$1K but prefer to spend less. The selection of stores is somewhat limited here in Melbourne, (as far as i know), But i found a place that has DT990's (250ohm) for AU$425... this is the cheapest i have seen them anywhere. 

Just want peoples thoughts on the DT990's for my purpose, i don't mind heavy bass as long as it really tight and doesn't muffle out the other tones,. and if i can EQ it out a bit then thats fine to.. 

but would you maybe recommend me another set? or should i spend 800-900 on something better the first time? say d7000's? (if i can find them for AU$700 'grrr at amazon')

any stores people recommend in melbourne, or even AUS?

thanks in advance :)

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 6
Be aware that DT990 while having tight well controlled punchy not bloated bass (great for metal) and great detailed .mids and also great but at the same time bright highs (that's why mine are in for sale forum for a while already). Also for your information DT880 don't have brightness DT990 have but unfortunately also have less details than DT990

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 6
I have the DT990~600ohm with a Woo 3+ amp and I do really love them, but the way they are typically characterized around here is fair. By that I mean that they do have slightly recessed mids and they are fairly bright. I played around with EQing them for quite some time (see the tutorial here on head-fi). I stuck with my optimal EQ settings for about amonth, but in the end decided that I really liked them best without any EQ so long as the source is decent, so I don't EQ them at all anymore. I do find them to be completely unforgiving of poor source (MP3 or even CDs made from lousy recordings).

Properly amped with a decent source, these are very fun cans. I find the bass to be quite tight and well textured. While they are bright, I typically love the level of detail that they can convey in the highs. The sound stage is quite good, but certainly not the largest available. Everything about them feels very forward and tight to me, which is great for up-tempo music of all genres, though if all I ever did was listen to Diana Krall I would probably want to consider the HD650 or something of the sort instead...

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 6
I spend some time trying to get rid of DT990 brightness using EQ but only was able to reduce it to acceptable to me level but not completely but as soon as i got a great deal on HD650 i found sound i was looking for without any brightness so DT990 are now in for sale forum.  

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 6
Forgot to say thanks for the replies before.. sorry been flat out at work. 

Got my 250Ohm DT990's about 2 weeks ago now. I must say for my Genre i love them, The Bass is a little over powering at times, but i am a little bit of a bass head. The Recessed mids I'm not finding that bad, at first yes but after about 50 hours of burn in, Much much better. 

They do hate a bad source, i ended up getting a E7/E9 combo for the time being, as i use my headphones on the go as well. Great little combo for $200. love the fact that i now have a portable amp that i just dock when i get home. :)

I primarily listen to Psytrance, so the mids or the brightness dont bother me too much and the bass and recessed mids actually remind me more of being front stage at a ' bush-doof '. So i found what i was looking for in regards to music *some of it* but i can see my self getting a set of grado's or HD650/HD595's for gaming/other music later.

But I don't know i might just get the Burson HA-160D first..  Ahhhh too many things to buy, this is going to get bad i can tell.

Talk to you guys when im single again, i cant see my partner letting me have another hobby to blow cash one, But -->

"Its easier to ask for forgiveness then it is permission" ;P

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 6
How bright is the DT990 in your opinion? I think I might buy it after a bit to oppose my hd600s. Also, how does your e7/e9 combo work? Do you like it & do you think it's worth it for the price? Or is there something better?
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back