All Time Favourite Headphones
Apr 13, 2013 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mangoegiraffe

New Head-Fier
not asking what you think the *best* headphones are, whatever that means - just your personal favourite headphones that you look back on most fondly. this could be the pair that has wowed you the most over the years, or the pair that introduced you to the world of audiophilia, or even just a pair of $20 generic trash that you got for your 12th birthday which lasted for 5 years, and that you swore were the best things in the world when you zoned out on the bus everyday to school...

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 9
I've only been into headphones for about 10 years, so not a very long time, but my personal favourite is my modded Grado SR60i.
It didn't have the best or favourite sound, but almost every mod was a small step to 'perfecting' it's unique sound and was unique in looks too.

Actually it was stolen a couple of years ago and there were a number of mods I still wanted to do to it as a long-running project, but now it's sort of like my 'unicorn' that I'll never see again. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #3 of 9
Audeze LCD-2
Sennheiser HD-800
Hifiman HE-500 and even the HE-400 (because it's surprising).

Beyerdynamic T1 is too bright for me so can't vouch for that.

---

Best cheap headphones i would say is Beyer DT 990 as they're comfortable as heck and sounds spectacular.

Tim

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 9
I've only been into headphones for about 10 years, so not a very long time, but my personal favourite is my modded Grado SR60i.
It didn't have the best or favourite sound, but almost every mod was a small step to 'perfecting' it's unique sound and was unique in looks too.

Actually it was stolen a couple of years ago and there were a number of mods I still wanted to do to it as a long-running project, but now it's sort of like my 'unicorn' that I'll never see again. 

If a decades is short, then I am considered just a beginner then XD I started 1 year ago and joined Head-Fi 6 month ago.

Anywhere, so again, not much for me, Sony XBA-4.. No matter how many good new pair of headphones I came across, no matter how much times they sound better than my IEM, I still come back to it and say"These are still the best!" And do take note that, I came across quite a lot of different headphones.

Oh but AKG K550 stuck in my mind till now! HAHAHAHA XD

Billson :)

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #5 of 9
I have two headphones with different sets of criteria that I consider my favorites.

Based solely on sound quality, my absolute favorite is the Sony MDR-CD900ST. I've gushed over these in plenty of my other posts, but I'll say simply that they have the best mids I've ever heard in a headphone, even better than $1000+ headphones. They don't do a whole lot of other things amazingly, but mids are the most important aspect of a headphone for my taste in music.

My other favorite, based on their great ratio of price, performance, comfort, and build, is the Sony MDR-V6. They do so many things right at such a low cost it's hard to not love them.

May 2, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 9
currently my all favourite headphones were my Shure SE-530 earphones which offered excellent noise isolation, great bass - not too much and not too little - excellent mids and soaring highs. Extremely comfortable. The only downside was their durability.

Next are my current go to headphones being the AKG 518s then followed by Philips Uptown and the AKG 451.

May 2, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 9
For me I have to say it is the Sony XB700.  It was my first real headphones and I have given it to my brother who lives with me now.  Right now, I don't love it because it sounded the best, but I have fond memories with it.  It was the headphone that I use to travel around a lot to watch movie and it was the only headphone that I didn't have to worry about ruin it.  All the headphones lately I've been babying them.  The comfort of them is still top tier for me as far as pleather close headphones, soft and really light.  Funny thing is I still get to see them on my brother head even though I haven't worn them for about 4-5 years now.

As for chasing that unicorn type of headphones, I say the HD800 is the closes I came to.  It has a lot to offer.  I like the fit and finish, comfort, weight, detailed, clarity, balance, mids...pretty much almost everything.  The only minor thing the Hd800 could do better for me is cables, built is fine just unwieldy.

May 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 9
I guess for me, it's the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back