All things Metrum Acoustics
Sep 21, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #1,366 of 1,451
So many ambre’s in stock. Who is buying them in 2023 ? There are other alternatives at better price & performance.

https://www.facebook.com/1000668430...Stpmv7BfWM1VLv35oLXLvmNj9QMe4ek83Dml/?app=fbl

I had one die after a recent lightning strike, and I purchased another on the secondhand market without thinking twice. It works so well as a Roon endpoint, and the IS2 connection to the Pasithea sounds great. I have no reason to believe a Hermes would perform any better.

Sep 21, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #1,367 of 1,451
Sep 29, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #1,369 of 1,451
Does anyone know if Metrum only uses half of their ladder when single ended output is used? Has anyone noticed a large gap between single ended vs balanced connection to amps? Especially Onyx
Single ended uses some kind of ICs to convert Bal to SE. Older units of pavane used trafo for conversion. Yea XLR>>RCA on my pavane. I’m using XLR to RCA cable with pin 3 floating with my tube preamp. This halves the vrms to 2 but has the quality of XLR output.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #1,370 of 1,451
Newly arrived here & have a lot of reading to do. In the meantime, here's the question I came here to resolve: do the Metrum Jade & Onyx allow simultaneous use of the single-ended/RCA output & the balanced/XLR output?

The manual says nothing about this, and Metrum refused to answer this question (have contacted them a couple times without this question, but no answer).

Thanks!

Oct 2, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #1,371 of 1,451
Cannot speak for those units but Adagio does. Cees used to Bi-Amp Speakers with 2 Fortes via RCA & XLR - switching Forte to each input.

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #1,372 of 1,451
I am enjoying a second hand Octave MK1. Am wondering whether I could power the DAC with a HDPLEX300 set at 9v DC output using one of these cables?

edit: nvm it's 9v AC not DC.

Attachments

• xlr.JPG
    xlr.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #1,373 of 1,451
why? it already comes with its a proprietary, excellent, separated LPS! or... yours came without?

but congratulations: that one was my first Metrum DAC and I never moved away from the brand afterwards :)

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #1,374 of 1,451
Dear Viggen. First of all, I have to inform you that this domain will be invalidated soon and you should send your questions to info@metrumacoustics.com. The Octave will not work with the mentioned power supply.You must use a symmetrical power supply that outputs 2x 9 Volt AC voltage. in which the center pin is the ground and 9V AC on each pin relative to the center pin.

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #1,375 of 1,451
why? it already comes with its a proprietary, excellent, separated LPS! or... yours came without?

but congratulations: that one was my first Metrum DAC and I never moved away from the brand afterwards :)

it's my fourth metrum/sonnet dac... probably my favorite. why? cuz in the past there's always an upgrade in sound when upgrading the psu. altho i am not certain hdplex would be an upgrade. it's certainly bigger.

Nov 3, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #1,376 of 1,451
@viggen: Sorry to say but in most cases this is simply the very well researched effect of “psychoacoustics” i.e. one “hears” what one expects to hear - and would not pass a scientific blind A/B test. Same with “cable sound”…

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #1,377 of 1,451
Newly arrived here & have a lot of reading to do. In the meantime, here's the question I came here to resolve: do the Metrum Jade & Onyx allow simultaneous use of the single-ended/RCA output & the balanced/XLR output?

The manual says nothing about this, and Metrum refused to answer this question (have contacted them a couple times without this question, but no answer).

Thanks!
Yes they do. I have the JADE…

Nov 5, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #1,378 of 1,451
The Adagio has finally sold. The new owner has secured an incredible bargain.

Nov 5, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #1,379 of 1,451
Still have the Ambre looking for a new home.

Nov 5, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #1,380 of 1,451
Just picked up a used Metrum Onyx from a very good seller. Installed it in my side system yesterday and immediately heard positive things. Didn't spend a lot of time listening, but so far, the Onyx has the most refined sound of any DAC I own or owned. It has a rare combination of high resolution + a relaxed, musical way of conveying instrumental and vocal tone.

The equipment configuration isn't finalized yet. I have an AES cable on order, and when that arrives will connect my DDC to the Onyx via AES rather than coax. Just a little experiment to hear if it's true what some say, that AES sounds even better than coax.

Lots of fun ahead trying the Onyx in both systems here in the home office. Eventually it will land in the main system, where I'll hear it via my very fine 2-way monitors + sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back