All things Metrum Acoustics
Dec 28, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #1,396 of 1,451
Dec 28, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #1,398 of 1,451
Which DDC did you buy (and I am really curious what its does for your sound), and what streamer do you use?

I am using an Auralic (G1) connected to my DAC3 Onyx using AES as connection type.
btw I bought the Hoerwege Power supply which made the SEQ even better (I am just curious if a better power supply for Onyx would do more??) I believe the more expensive Metrum DAC's have separate supplies for the DAC/audiosignal and display (non audio) part
No streamer for me. The DDC is a Matrix Audio X-SPDIf 2 (I have 2 of them, 1 in each of my two office systems).

For years I used a series of Musical Fidelity SPDIF converters to convert USB signal (which I don't like the sound of) to digital coaxial signal (which sounds best to me of the SPDIF options). So installing the Matrix Audio X-SPDIf 2 was simple, just a drop-in replacement. Using the same excellent coax cable as before, same DAC, same amp, I immediately heard a somewhat tighter, more focused sound. The soundstage was unchanged, but things located here and there seemed more clear and tangible in the soundstage, if that makes sense. And the center image was more resolved and solid than before. None of these things involved tonal/frequency shifts (none of that), just spatial improvements.

The Matrix Audio X-SPDIf 2 is a relatively affordable DDC compared to some, like the upper-level denafrips boxes that are getting a lot of press. I don't know how the Matrix stacks up against any other DDCs, as I've never compared them. But there is no doubt in my mind that a DDC is a worthwhile improvement over a SPDIF converter, which in turn was a most worthwhile improvement to running USB straight into the DAC.

BTW, I use well regard USB cables (Lush Phasure v1 cable), so I don't short the USB side of things. But SPDIF converters and the Matrix DDC just sound better to my ears.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #1,400 of 1,451
hi Dear friends,
my friend bought a Pavane, which has this chip inside, while my Adagio does not have this chip. Do you know what this chip is used for? thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6765.jpg
    IMG_6765.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
Feb 6, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #1,401 of 1,451
If memory serves it's the external FPGA module in the Pavane OG that was responsible for partitioning the data before it was sent to DAC modules for decoding. Second generation DAC modules (and third?) had this onboard so there was no longer need for an external solution. Your Adagio probably has DAC2 or DAC3 modules.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #1,402 of 1,451
If memory serves it's the external FPGA module in the Pavane OG that was responsible for partitioning the data before it was sent to DAC modules for decoding. Second generation DAC modules (and third?) had this onboard so there was no longer need for an external solution. Your Adagio probably has DAC2 or DAC3 modules.
thanks bro!
yes my adagio is dac2, but the pavane is not dac2?

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #1,406 of 1,451
Mentioned this on the Musette thread the other day - have 2 x DAC TWO Mods coming up (he's keeping 2 for a Flint upgrade. May have more.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #1,408 of 1,451
Is it possible to adjust the volume output of an Onyx (or is this Jade functionality only)??
It's Jade functionality only.

BTW, the implementation of the volume pot in the Jade is innovative, a design totally unlike conventional volume pots (if memory serves, the pot adjusts voltage levels delivered to each of the DAC2 or DAC3 chips, thus changing total output voltage of the device). I've never tried one in practice (I have the Onyx), but I'm guessing it would be quite transparent.

Feb 8, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #1,409 of 1,451
Jep, Cees designed it very clever by adjusting the reference voltages of the DAC chips!

Feb 8, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #1,410 of 1,451
It's Jade functionality only.

BTW, the implementation of the volume pot in the Jade is innovative, a design totally unlike conventional volume pots (if memory serves, the pot adjusts voltage levels delivered to each of the DAC2 or DAC3 chips, thus changing total output voltage of the device). I've never tried one in practice (I have the Onyx), but I'm guessing it would be quite transparent.
Is the print of the Jade that different compared to the Onyx?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back