All things Metrum Acoustics
Jan 5, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #752 of 1,451
I think Hermes is 1200 EUR, while Ambre is 1099 EUR, both incl. VAT (for EU customers).

Well, I am quoting the prices of an American Dealer I often buy from. In his case the Ambre is $1279.99

>> link <<

And the Hermes is $1090.00

>> link <<

No shipping charges or taxes are usually added for shipping to my State.

I cannot explain the discrepancies, but the prices might be different with other American dealers.

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #754 of 1,451
Well, I am quoting the prices of an American Dealer I often buy from. In his case the Ambre is $1279.99

>> link <<

And the Hermes is $1090.00

>> link <<

No shipping charges or taxes are usually added for shipping to my State.

I cannot explain the discrepancies, but the prices might be different with other American dealers.
The decision is simple, then. Get the newer and cheaper product.

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #756 of 1,451
The decision is simple, then. Get the newer and cheaper product.
Okey-dokey! But there is a small problem though... I do not need any of these products at this very minute. I'm actually still looking for some smart way to use two output ports on my Ambre that have remained redundant for about two years now. So maybe later :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

By the way, I adore the sound of the Ambre, my modded one, that is..

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #757 of 1,451
Jan 6, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #758 of 1,451
Okey-dokey! But there is a small problem though... I do not need any of these products at this very minute. I'm actually still looking for some smart way to use two output ports on my Ambre that have remained redundant for about two years now. So maybe later :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

By the way, I adore the sound of the Ambre, my modded one, that is..
Curious to know how did you mod it?

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #760 of 1,451
Curious to know how did you mod it?
Well I just replaced the fuses, the internal RJ45 cable, and the SD Card/ along with the OS, so I did nothing really surgical or irreversible to the unit, and do not know whether these three steps constitute a real "mod"... But their effects have been noticeably transformative in a good way. It sounds.a lot better to my ears afterwards than it did before, although, it has always been quite good sounding, even without the mods.

Here's an image showing the changes of RJ45 cable and fuses, although the fuses in mine are different from the Synergistic Research Blue fuses seen in this mod. Of course, the SD card is also invisible

10302900.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #761 of 1,451
How you upgraded OS? What type of fuses i need for Ambre, all will work? All of this give significant sound boost?

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #762 of 1,451
Anyone compared Ambre against PC+some sort of usb converter with Roon? I am using Roon -> PC usb -> if ilink -> Onyx right now and wondering how much an improvement in sound will Ambre via I2S makes

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #763 of 1,451
Anyone compared Ambre against PC+some sort of usb converter with Roon? I am using Roon -> PC usb -> if ilink -> Onyx right now and wondering how much an improvement in sound will Ambre via I2S makes
Well get away from USB if you have Metrum DAC. Coax/AES/I2S are major upgrade over USB,

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #765 of 1,451
How you upgraded OS? What type of fuses i need for Ambre, all will work? All of this give significant sound boost?

"upgraded the OS" simply means that I replaced the original sd card and its RoPieee image with another SD card with piCorePlayer, and yes, not only did that enhance the sound of the Ambre, it also extended its range of compatibilities beyond Roon... As for fuses, several options are possible, but because of how controversial their effect seems to some people, you will have to experiment with your own. The ones in the pictured ambre, are the Synergistic Research Blue, but they (SR) have come up with a new Orange type which are allegedly superior to the Blue. I'll just say that those I have used have made my Ambre sound even more noticeably better, and I still keep the old stock fuses on hand, just in case I ever need to confirm the difference, which I have not found to be necessary

To make this brief, and forestall the possibility of starting an "audiophile fuse" for/against debate, which I wouldn't like to participate in, I'll just direct you to this site where I learnt about the history of this mod, through the recommendation of another head-fier. As you can see, the folks there are very passionate with their experimentations with the Ambre. It helps if you speak and read French... Otherwise you might have to use some AI translator.

Happy hunting :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back