All things Metrum Acoustics
May 22, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #346 of 1,451
Hi,

I just got my Metrum Onyx a few days ago and so far I'm very impressed by it.

I was wondering if getting a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 and feeding the Onyx through the AES or the SPDIF will improve the sound? If yes, is the AES or the SPDIF preferable? I have heard that the USB input of the Onyx is not it's strongest point.

Another reason is that I use Volumio and it doesn't work with the Onyx's USB input for some reason. I somehow managed to make it work 2 times out of ~20 by switching between DACs, but that worked until restart.

Thanks.

May 22, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #347 of 1,451
Had the HEX via USB( with the new module)and after 6 months I found the sound unengaging and after some research settled on the Border Patrol DAC.
Still, I might have a go at the Pavane, just to see how much of a difference there is to the HEX.

May 22, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #348 of 1,451
Had the HEX via USB( with the new module)and after 6 months I found the sound unengaging and after some research settled on the Border Patrol DAC.
Still, I might have a go at the Pavane, just to see how much of a difference there is to the HEX.
I went with the Pavane when I was looking at the Onyx. I'm guessing the P isn't twice the sound quality as the O but that is generally the case with high-end items, the law of diminishing returns really kicks in. LOL

Plus, you need some pretty resolving 'cans and a great amp to go with it..

:L3000::L3000::L3000:

May 22, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #349 of 1,451
My local dealer has a second hand Pavane sitting around and once I am back home( New Zealand) from Europe I will try it out.
All the headphones in my signature I actually have at the moment but I prefer the Stax009S and Utopia...so 'pretty resolving'.

May 22, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #350 of 1,451
My local dealer has a second hand Pavane sitting around and once I am back home( New Zealand) from Europe I will try it out.
All the headphones in my signature I actually have at the moment but I prefer the Stax009S and Utopia...so 'pretty resolving'.
R2R NOS have an excellent pairing with Stax 009/009s/Kgsshv . Few of my friends have similar setup. The NOS tonality & instrument timbre is a treat for ears & unmatched by Oversampling DACs. My next upgrade will be a estat or SR1A or Hedd hp...but the DAC will always be PAVANE.
Just keep in mind pavane requires serious burn in of approx 2-3 weeks.

May 22, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #351 of 1,451
Thanks for info. Being in Europe atm I went to the HighEnd in Munich in the hope to listen to the 009S with a BHSE but Headamp only had a VOCE and Stax used their own amps of course.
And yes, I agree, NOS dacs are best with 009S but I still figure out which amp to go for.

May 23, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #352 of 1,451
Hi
Does Pavane or Onyx support global voltage or is changing the voltage setting is as simple as flipping some switch and can be done by end user?
If not does Metrum helps in voltage conversion in case needed?
Has anyone tried it?

May 24, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #353 of 1,451
Hi
Does Pavane or Onyx support global voltage or is changing the voltage setting is as simple as flipping some switch and can be done by end user?
If not does Metrum helps in voltage conversion in case needed?
Has anyone tried it?

There is no switch that I can see, maybe just changing the fuse can do it, but we would need to know from Metrum to know for sure.

May 24, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #354 of 1,451
The user manuals of the Pavane and the Onyx say the same thing about power requirements, namely :

"• Power requirements: Check if the product is made conform the power requirements of your area. On the back side of the product there is a marker for the specific mains voltage."

Yet there is no voltage switch on the back of either machine... It seems to me that the power requirements are supposed to match those of the country to which they're shipped or in which they are sold... Although there is the typical warning of "No serviceable parts inside," I was able to replace the USB module on my Onyx with the I2S module, and that may also hold for changing fuses, if the change in voltage requirements only involves changing a fuse... However, I am not sure about this.

At any rate, here is the back side of the Pavane :

Pavane-achterzijde.jpg

And here is that of the Onyx :

Jade-Onyx-achterzijde-blauwe-achtergrond.jpg

May 24, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #355 of 1,451
Thanks...
I reached out to them and they told me that Onyx is as simple as flipping a switch that is inside the cabinet. However for Pavane I need to reach out to the technical team

89E331D8-F6FC-49F3-81F2-BA39B18EF018.jpeg

May 24, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #356 of 1,451
Hi Patrick
The order for the SD card is already sent to the factory :)

Hi Cees:

The SD card arrived today and swapping it with the older one turned out to be as simple and as easy as you suggested. After the swap, my Ambre is back working again, and I am currently listening to some Qobuz tunes on Roon via Amber/Onyx with my Audeze LCD-4. I was always aware of missing the sound of my Ambre/Onyx combo, but somehow, I did not realize just how much until now, and you won't believe how happy you have made me again.

This is just wonderful! Thanks again for the great work you have done in getting this business all sorted.

:):):):)

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #357 of 1,451
Hi Cees:

The SD card arrived today and swapping it with the older one turned out to be as simple and as easy as you suggested. After the swap, my Ambre is back working again, and I am currently listening to some Qobuz tunes on Roon via Amber/Onyx with my Audeze LCD-4. I was always aware of missing the sound of my Ambre/Onyx combo, but somehow, I did not realize just how much until now, and you won't believe how happy you have made me again.

This is just wonderful! Thanks again for the great work you have done in getting this business all sorted.

:):):):)
Hi Patrick

Great that the problem is solved.

Have fun!

May 25, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #358 of 1,451
@Cees Ruijtenberg, since we have you here, can you please share some details about the L2 and L3 Pavanes? The L1 used 2 16-bit modules with an external FPGA per balanced "leg" for the total of 4 modules per channel in a differential configuration. My understanding is that L2 and L3 are based on the latest 24 bit modules with FPGA built-in. How many DAC modules per channel do the L2 and L3 have and if it is more than 2 how are they arranged? Also seems L2 is limited to 192kHz while L3 can go up to 386kHz, why is that? Thank you.

May 25, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #359 of 1,451
Level 1 is the first generation Pavane which is using one FPGA which splits the data into two 12 bit streams for both left and right. Each mono dac board contains four 16 bit modules but two modules are needed to simulate the DAC TWO module. These two are used in balanced mode. Level 2 and level 3 are using the DAC TWO modules so you have four 24 bit modules for each mono board in balanced mode. Level 2 is the ruggedized version of level 3 which means that it is hot swappable for studio use. Sample rate is limited to 192kHz. Level 3 is the DAC TWO version running on 384kHz.

May 25, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #360 of 1,451
Thank you. In L2/L3, Is there still an external FPGA that splits the signal into 2 12 bit streams that are each fed to a 24-bit DAC TWO module similarly how it's done in L1 or a pair of DAC TWO modules is simply connected in parallel per leg of a balanced path?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back