All things Metrum Acoustics
Jun 27, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #106 of 1,451
Seems like Metrum is sending a new USB module to me very soon. Will let you know how that goes.

Interesting information on I2S. The lack of standardization on it makes me not super interested in pursuing it at this time. I think the pinout is most likely accurate. Here's a DDC with an RJ45 out that doesn't match Metrum's. That's about the only one I could find with RJ45 instead of HDMI.

https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/l-k-s-audio-usb-100-usb-audio-interface-pcm384-dsd512.html

All in all I'm probably better off sticking with toslink or switching to USB if the new module fixes things. I get curious because I've seen quite a few people write off toslink as inferior to other connections and I2S and AES seem to get the most hype.

The Metrum rep seemed to be of the opinion that people can argue over toslink and AES, but they're very similar. I assume he meant similar enough that I really don't need to be concerning myself over buying a $400 box just to use AES in the first place.

Still loving my Onyx regardless of which connection type is better. The only way I could maybe be happier is if I could afford a Pavane (not happening)
You have/had an onyx omg bro i just received mine 2 days ago and I was blown away it single handedly made the most improvement in my system out of everything ive ever owned or own. I love it !

Ps I currently stare at the pavane lvl 3 everyday.

Jul 3, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #107 of 1,451
Hi - I run across a small problem with my Metrum Hex. Maybe some of you guys experienced this as well and hopefully knows the answer to this:
I use both the single ended and the balanced outputs of the DAC. SE goes to my tubed amp for the speaker rig and balanced to a Audio-GD Master 9 that I use as headamp.

When the headamp is switched off there is no signal output to the SE as well. Only when I switch on the M9 there is sound coming out of my speakers.

I ran the balanced outputs to some powered monitors previosly and there was never a cut of the SE signal when the monitors were powered off.

When I disconnect the balaced outputs there is signal from the SE outs.

Any ideas for the reason of this? Why does it work with an active speaker and not with a preamp like the M9?

Any help appreciated.

d.

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #111 of 1,451
Its crazy how little this company and products are talked about around here.

I agree, they have a large product range including some more affordable DACs. I suppose they are more of a boutique brand while discussion around here is mostly limited to mainstream hyped products like Schiit and Massdrop stuff.

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #112 of 1,451
Sort of. But stuff by Chord is very very very expensive while still quite popular. I guess Metrum doesn't do much marketing along with putting out primarily NOS DACs. I believe just seeing NOS is an automatic turn off for some people.

Aug 3, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #113 of 1,451
I think it is a collective of all these factors:
  • Boutique, higher cost. And it does not have the appeal of Chord, with their proprietary math and engineering.
  • OS has a higher following than NOS. Harder to describe the deltas, but most prefer the OS sound.
  • When you finally get to those people who prefer NOS, many are choosing Chinese. Audio-GD and Holo Audio likely had higher sales.
I've tried all these, and I still find Metrum appealing.

Aug 3, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #114 of 1,451
I think it is a collective of all these factors:
  • Boutique, higher cost. And it does not have the appeal of Chord, with their proprietary math and engineering.
  • OS has a higher following than NOS. Harder to describe the deltas, but most prefer the OS sound.
  • When you finally get to those people who prefer NOS, many are choosing Chinese. Audio-GD and Holo Audio likely had higher sales.
I've tried all these, and I still find Metrum appealing.
I love my onyx

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #117 of 1,451
Yup, they are minimalistic devices in a way that they don't have any extra digital processing in them. They take digital signal in, and convert it directly to analog w/no additional processing. If NOS rubs you the wrong way thre is a gentle analog reconstructing filter on the output, so oversample as much as you want.

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #118 of 1,451
Yup, they are minimalistic devices in a way that they don't have any extra digital processing in them. They take digital signal in, and convert it directly to analog w/no additional processing. If NOS rubs you the wrong way thre is a gentle analog reconstructing filter on the output, so oversample as much as you want.
Gotcha

Aug 3, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #119 of 1,451
Has anyone seen any reviews or impressions of the Metrum Ambre anywhere lately, and if so, can they please share the source?

Aug 26, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #120 of 1,451
reviews or impressions of the Metrum Ambre
I'm really interested in this as well, specifically to connect to my Pavane via I2S.

A search of the English-speaking internet reveals to me one user on CA that really likes it (using AES). And a few random "reviews", but it's hard to take those things seriously without being convinced of their um... journalistic integrity, let's say. Also none of them mention any impressions connecting via I2S anyway.

I've always been a Foobar person (currently connecting via AES using a KTE Singer SU-1) but would be willing to go the Ambre route and capitulate to Roon lock-in in the name of superior SQ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back